NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

That statement is one of the silliest ones I keep coming across when people argue against "running" QB's.  Pure passers fizzle out of the league by the dozens every season. You don't MORPH into a pure passer or transform into one if you could never throw the ball to begin with meaning if you never had the skills to make the accurate throws required of an NFL  QB being a PURE PASSER is not a solution, being a better QB and adapting your skills and limiting your flaws to increase your efficiency and productivity is the solution for success as a QB.

Lamar has proven from last season to this season he can make the accurate throws. He worked on his craft and he adapted.  😂

Every single NFL QB with a long career of success has had to modify or adapt their game to compensate for deteriorating athleticism or physical limitations or changes imposed upon them by defenses. How many times have we seen Peyton adapt his game during his career until his final season when his arm failed him completely, or Brady learning to process quickly , dump the ball off or throw it away to compensate for his immobility? Big Ben adapted by getting rid of the ball quicker instead of carrying 3 defenders hanging off of him while trying to make a throw 😂

So if Lamar has a long successful career it's because he will adapt like all of the successful QB's have adapted. it's called EVOLVING as a player. 

Throwing is only a fraction of the traits that result in long term NFL QB success.  I'd argue more success is derived between the ears.  Not trying to be overly harsh on Lamar Jackson because he seems like a real good likeable kid, but I think the biggest challenge he'll have is where he needs to beat opponents with his head.  That's what all the greats do, they beat you before the snap.  

This is probably the one weakness of Aaron Rodgers, that gets masked by all his other greatness.  But Rodgers is the most physically gifted thrower of the ball there might have ever been.  Even that's not enough.

We can certainly agree to disagree, and I hope Jackson does have a great long career because he is so likeable and humble

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m worried that his quad may tighten up tomorrow and won’t be right next week.   exploring other options

Benched again...wish I had a QB who could play the entire game! Might try to find one of those interchangeable ones on the waiver wire for next week. 

1 hour ago, mbell317 said:

He is averaging 27.29 fantasy points in standard Yahoo scoring I believe (most of any player). 

Vs. the Jets at home, I would expect something around that.

Anything from 25-30 I think is likely.

Of course he could dud and give us 18 or blow up for 40. Who knows. 

29 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Biggest risk is getting pulled again. I just can't imagine the Jets can hang with this team. With any luck, a Thursday game acts as some kind of equalizer and allows the Jets to hang.

It would be just like the Jets I must say to give up a huuuuge long running TD to Lamar though. He's due to take a 70+ yarder to the house. In prime time.

Hope y’all right could use a rushing use a rushing touchdown. Feeling pretty confident. I’d be satisfied with a 33 point game. I know it’s a lot to ask but it’s playoffs. Definitely has the potential to blow up. 

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Yes I know I am citing a rating system that measures QB passing ability and its shows Lamar is a top passer both in and out of the pocket when the chief criticism against him before this season was that HE COULD NOT PASS because he was a running QB.  The fact that somehow you use Dak, stafford and carr as some implied counter to Lamar or to devalue the passer rating system simply demonstrates you have nothing legitimate to state or a compelling argument. 😂🤣🤣

Lmfao. Stafford, Dak, and Carr are all having very good seasons.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Ruut6 said:

Yeah it is interesting that people are using those guys as if they actually statistically suck this year when they actually don't.😂

2 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

I guess it just speaks to what a down year the QB position is having this year for those dudes to be considered success stories.  Combined win percentage of about .400.  Stafford has only played about 7 games, Carr is the same risk averse stat protecting Carr he's been his whole career, and Dak has been steaming hot garbage since Week 4 after they beat up on three tomato cans in NYG, Wash, and Miami.

Nobody is playing the position better than my dude Jimmy G right now.  If two monsoons didn't suppress his statistics people would be talking about him as an MVP candidate.

3 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Lamar stands little chance for long term success because he is really no different than the other handful of "never seen before" athletes that came before him who all flamed out of the league once they had to rely on pure passing (Kordell Stewart, RGIII, Kapernick) whether due to league designing against them or the toll it took on their body.  Any success from the QB position that skirts reading a defense, making a quick decision, and an accurate throw is just short term, in my opinion.

Lamar is a better passer than any of those guys and a much better runner. Look at their career completion percentages. Only RGIII's rookie year is same ballpark and he wasn't the same level runner/elusive/accelerate on cuts ability. Those guys also took constant beatings whereas defenders cannot square up on Lamar because of said elusiveness/ability to accelerate on cuts.

You also must not be watching Lamar if you think he's not reading defenses. He's looking to pass first, if it's there, the ball is out. If there's penetration, he's gone. It's very lazy to group him with those other running QBs.

BTW the entire offense is coming back next year and they'll likely draft another legit receiver with first three round pick. He's doing this right now with really only Andrews and Hollywood, and midget Hollywood is easily taken out of games. He busted his a** working with QB gurus in the offseason and it's reasonable to assume he'll do it again. I don't think he's peaked yet.

Is his window as long as tradition passers? Probably not. Speed will go at some point but who knows how many years down the road that will be and whether he's improved his passing enough to have a Russell Wilson-esque balance.

Edited by Finisher
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, CitizenJ said:

Oh man... are we about to all get heartbroken by a one off Lamar sit week in week 15? 

Fml

Just pick up RGIII then. Any QB can carve up the Jets.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

I guess it just speaks to what a down year the QB position is having this year for those dudes to be considered success stories.  Combined win percentage of about .400.  Stafford has only played about 7 games, Carr is the same risk averse stat protecting Carr he's been his whole career, and Dak has been steaming hot garbage since Week 4 after they beat up on three tomato cans in NYG, Wash, and Miami.

Nobody is playing the position better than my dude Jimmy G right now.  If two monsoons didn't suppress his statistics people would be talking about him as an MVP candidate.

I agree, but only 5 QBs in the history of the NFL have thrown for 5,000 yards outside of Stafford. Both Stafford and Dak have 5,000 yard paces this season. To not think they’re having statistically good seasons is insane.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, dashoe said:

Are the naysayers still waiting for Lamar to play a REAL NFL DEFENSE. . . again?😂

He is the NFL and fantasy MVP!

I just beat the Lamar owner in the playoffs of our league streaming Tannehill who had the better game and who I just picked up lol. No QB is ever the fantasy MVP, they are pretty much interchangeable. It’s not an important position in standard leagues, Fantasy MVP is CMC. 

Edited by Dexter75
2 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

I just beat the Lamar owner in the playoffs of our league seeming Tannehill who had the better game and who I just picked up lol. No QB is ever the fantasy MVP. It’s not an important position in standard leagues, Fantasy MVP is CMC. 

Cool story bro!! 👍

(nobody cares about your fantasy team)🤣

Edited by dashoe
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dexter75 said:

nobody care about yours either “bro”

Ok bro who posts about how his fantasy team beat a team with Lamar Jackson in the Lamar Jackson thread  👍

(we still don't care about your team) 🤣

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Ok bro who posts about how his fantasy team beat a team with Lamar Jackson in the Lamar Jackson thread  👍

(we still don't care about your team) 🤣

I was replying to the guy who said Lamar was the fantasy MVP. QBs are never fantasy MVPs for the reason I just laid out. Rarely does the winning team in fantasy leagues have the best fantasy QB. I had Mahomes last year and got beat in the championship by a guy streaming QBs. QBs are interchangeable in fantasy “bro”

Edited by Dexter75
1 minute ago, Dexter75 said:

I was replying to the guy who said Lamar was the fantasy MVP. QBs are never fantasy MVPs for the reason I just laid out.rarely does the winning team have the best fantasy QB. I had Mahomes last year and got beat in the championship by a guy streaming QBs. QBs are interchangeable in fantasy “bro”

I AM the guy who said Lamar is the fantasy MVP bro  🤣

(we still don't care about your team beating the Lamar Jackson team bro) 😂