NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

Stonej14

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I'm reading the Ravens will rest him during week 17 against the Steelers, which makes perfect sense, but what about week 16 against Cleveland?  Haven't they clinched everything they need to this week?  Would be ashame to not have him for your fantasy championship, but why should they risk an injury in a meaningless game? 

They need to win wk 16 to clinch #1 seed and home field advantage

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sartorialism said:

It's not the Pro Bowl for fantasy scoring. He's on a bad team and his excellence hasn't been a cultural phenomenon or been near as impactful as Lamar's on or off the field. It would be weird if he was up there with him.

The Panthers are 5-9 and last place in their division. it would be a bizarre world if CMC was even in serious contention with Lamar or Wilson who's teams are at the top of their divisions and conferences 

Edited by dashoe

11 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Last years MVP putting his team in contention of a playoff run to the SB; it's obvious he is the key to their success they have zero running game to support their offense.

Don't want to derail the thread beyond this, but Michael Thomas should be on there, he's probably going to break the single-season reception record.

• Like 3

Lets float a scenario. Pats play saturday, if they lose against the bills, Ravens own the tiebreaker against NE as well as KC. So they could lock up the #1 seed with a NE loss. They also win the tiebreaker against the Chiefs so they've guaranteed themselves a top 2 seed already. In the event that scenario plays out, does Baltimore rest Lamar, Ingram, Brown, Andrews, etc. I imagine they at least play a limited role. 

I'm a Pats fan and a Jackson/Ingram owner and I'm very concerned this scenario plays out.

Edited by Ticklefight
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ticklefight said:

Lets float a scenario. Pats play saturday, if they lose against the bills, Ravens own the tiebreaker against NE as well as KC. So they could lock up the #1 seed with a NE loss. They also win the tiebreaker against the Chiefs so they've guaranteed themselves a top 2 seed already. In the event that scenario plays out, does Baltimore rest Lamar, Ingram, Brown, Andrews, etc. I imagine they at least play a limited role. 

I'm a Pats fan and a Jackson/Ingram owner and I'm very concerned this scenario plays out.

They're playing the Browns, a division rival they lost to earlier in the season. That combined with Lamar perhaps wanting to cement the MVP means i think they'd all play normal roles regardless of the Pats/Bills result. There's also the momentum of their run to maintain; it's one thing to rest starters in week 17 (and a bye week), it's another to include week 16 in that too. They don't want to go "cold".

When was the last time a team rested players both week 16 & 17? Presumably the Patriots must have had opportunity to do so over the years, i don't remember it happening.

All that said, it's worth having a backup plan just in case.

Edited by Sartorialism

You make some valid points, my mind was wondering to worst case scenario. Its not often that teams are in position to lock up a #1 before week 16 kicks off. Pats have always had late season matchups with manning or more recently mahomes that determine byes, I dont think they've ever benched brady for week 17. Proving your point I guess.

3 hours ago, Ticklefight said:

Why do they own the tiebreaker against KC when KC beat them earlier in the year. Stop providing misinformation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sartorialism said:

They're playing the Browns, a division rival they lost to earlier in the season. That combined with Lamar perhaps wanting to cement the MVP means i think they'd all play normal roles regardless of the Pats/Bills result. There's also the momentum of their run to maintain; it's one thing to rest starters in week 17 (and a bye week), it's another to include week 16 in that too. They don't want to go "cold".

When was the last time a team rested players both week 16 & 17? Presumably the Patriots must have had opportunity to do so over the years, i don't remember it happening.

All that said, it's worth having a backup plan just in case.

The Colts in their perfect season.

54 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Why do they own the tiebreaker against KC when KC beat them earlier in the year. Stop providing misinformation. 

Yeah if Pats lose, Ravens have top-2 locked up but control their own destiny as far as #1 seed is concerned - they need to win either of their next 2 games to make sure KC don't pip them (who are playing after the Ravens this week). So they want to win this week and rest next week. Lamar will be out there all guns blazing on Sunday to win and put it all to bed.

He's starting and he's playing at least 3 quarters against a mediocre defense missing its best player with nothing left to playing out the string for playing for a bad coach. If he sits for the 4th quarter it's because he's had a great game and probably put up at least 30 points for you. Do not overthink this. he is maybe THE top fantasy asset going right now and you have no good reason not to start him with confidence. 

Sometimes it feels like when things are going too well for a player people try to make up things to get worried about just...because. Do not overthink this. Do not even think this. Just put him in your starting qb spot and move on to worrying about which one of your broken running backs you're going to have to start this weekend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, yossarian said:

He's starting and he's playing at least 3 quarters against a mediocre defense missing its best player with nothing left to playing out the string for playing for a bad coach. If he sits for the 4th quarter it's because he's had a great game and probably put up at least 30 points for you. Do not overthink this. he is maybe THE top fantasy asset going right now and you have no good reason not to start him with confidence. 

Sometimes it feels like when things are going too well for a player people try to make up things to get worried about just...because. Do not overthink this. Do not even think this. Just put him in your starting qb spot and move on to worrying about which one of your broken running backs you're going to have to start this weekend. 

I don't know amigo, there are so many "interchangeable" Qb's on the waiver on any given week that can out produce lamar. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, yossarian said:

If he sits for the 4th quarter it's because he's had a great game and probably put up at least 30 points for you.

He’s barely played in the fourth quarter all season! The scary thing is that Lamar’s ceiling has actually been capped because he’s got a good defense behind him, unlike 2013 Peyton or most other recent overall-QB1s. He could totally throw the first ever 8 TD game if the Ravens ever gave up enough points to require him to do it. Instead the fourth quarter has usually just been time for L-Jax to take a breather and stretch his legs.

It’s fun not even having to think about the QB spot in Week 16.

On 12/18/2019 at 12:13 AM, Ticklefight said:

I don't see how they don't do this, which means Lamar may not even play more than a quarter this week

• Haha 1