NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

Stonej14

Lamar Jackson was named Pro Bowl Offensive MVP after throwing for 185 yards and two touchdowns in the AFC's win over the NFC.

Jackson led the AFC team to a 38-33 victory. He's the youngest quarterback to start in the Pro Bowl and now the youngest MVP. Teammate Mark Andrews caught nine passes, a Pro Bowl record for a tight end. Davante Adams led the NFC with six receptions and converted two of them into touchdowns.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Lamar Jackson was named Pro Bowl Offensive MVP after throwing for 185 yards and two touchdowns in the AFC's win over the NFC.

Jackson led the AFC team to a 38-33 victory. He's the youngest quarterback to start in the Pro Bowl and now the youngest MVP. Teammate Mark Andrews caught nine passes, a Pro Bowl record for a tight end. Davante Adams led the NFC with six receptions and converted two of them into touchdowns.

Lmfao is this satire? it's the pro bowl. I get it, you think playing well in the pro bowl means he's an accurate passer

58 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

His footwork seems okay, but is it me or is throwing motion terrible.

it's not good, jim

Edited by Chippa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chippa said:

Lmfao is this satire? it's the pro bowl. I get it, you think playing well in the pro bowl means he's an accurate passer

it's not good, jim

It’s honestly pathetic how much you want to denigrate Lamar as a QB.  To a point where you are willing to place more emphasis on his Skills Day at a Pro Bowl than his actual PB performance.  

Sad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BMcP said:

It’s honestly pathetic how much you want to denigrate Lamar as a QB.  To a point where you are willing to place more emphasis on his Skills Day at a Pro Bowl than his actual PB performance.  

Sad.

Ok, this is satire. You got me

He can’t drop back and throw with consistency whatsoever, his easy throws are due to the defense collapsing to stop the RPO. When he loses his burst/speed he will be RGIII. Taysom Hill is practically the same guy less wigggle more power.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Krambone said:

He can’t drop back and throw with consistency whatsoever, his easy throws are due to the defense collapsing to stop the RPO. When he loses his burst/speed he will be RGIII. Taysom Hill is practically the same guy less wigggle more power.

He’s only 23 so if the only worry is Jackson losing his speed I think he’ll be fine for awhile. 

On 1/27/2020 at 12:57 AM, Chippa said:

it's not good, jim

I mean, I don't want to hear anything about how the "pro bowl" doesn't matter now since we're taking skills competitions at the pro bowl seriously. Really, a year ago Andrew Luck scored a 5 in that event and Russell Wilson scored an 8 one year. And Russ is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL. 

Also in regard to a post above, that Ravens don't actually run RPOs that much. I mean they run them, but almost every team with a young QB does these days. Cleveland, Houston, KC, Arizona, Chicago, etc. Baltimore did run the ZONE READ a lot. But in the passing game they did play action or a straight drop back (a lot of the time out of an empty set). It's a lot easier to acknowledge that teams don't play man coverage against Lamar because he'll take off, and he was very good against zone defenses this year because he's actually pretty good at reading defenses and finding holes in the coverage. I know that's not the narrative the anti-Lamar crowd prefers though. If Lamar were even slightly better throwing outside the numbers down field he'd be the most unstoppable player in the NFL. 

Edited by Deuce1042
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

I mean, I don't want to hear anything about how the "pro bowl" doesn't matter now since we're taking skills competitions at the pro bowl seriously. Really, a year ago Andrew Luck scored a 5 in that event and Russell Wilson scored an 8 one year. And Russ is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL. 

Also in regard to a post above, that Ravens don't actually run RPOs that much. I mean they run them, but almost every team with a young QB does these days. Cleveland, Houston, KC, Arizona, Chicago, etc. Baltimore did run the ZONE READ a lot. But in the passing game they did play action or a straight drop back (a lot of the time out of an empty set). It's a lot easier to acknowledge that teams don't play man coverage against Lamar because he'll take off, and he was very good against zone defenses this year because he's actually pretty good at reading defenses and finding holes in the coverage. I know that's not the narrative the anti-Lamar crowd prefers though. If Lamar were even slightly better throwing outside the numbers down field he'd be the most unstoppable player in the NFL. 

Did I games. Ravens ran rpo at least 80 percent of time. Jackson is the ultimate rpo qb. Ridiculous to not use it

Edited by youngrice

21 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Did I games. Ravens ran rpo at least 80 percent of time. Jackson is the ultimate rpo qb. Ridiculous to not use it

No they didn't. Much less "80% of the time". People think they're running an RPO when they're actually running the zone read or it's just play action. You can tell if it's an RPO by watching the QBs eyes on the play fake, watching the offensive line, and watching if their receivers are blocking or running routes. If he's reading a LB or DB it's an RPO. They didn't run RPOs that much. 

Edited by Deuce1042
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

No they didn't. Much less "80% of the time". People think they're running an RPO when they're actually running the zone read or it's just play action. You can tell if it's an RPO by watching the QBs eyes on the play fake, watching the offensive line, and watching if their receivers are blocking or running routes. If he's reading a LB or DB it's an RPO. They didn't run RPOs that much. 

All give you that.  But their RPO's and Zone read runs look very similar to a defense and keep the defense guessing.  

36 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Down 10 with 6 min to go he won’t get you 21 unanswered! Mahomes is far superior but hats off to Lamar for a fantastic season.

In my opinion, its a little rich to say he's "far superior". Don't be fooled by the outcome, Mahomes made some questionable to bad plays last night that most everyone will overlook. I also don't think its fair to compare players when one teams supporting cast is outmatched and more inexperienced. Kelce>Andrews, Hill>Brown, Watkins>Snead, Hardman>Boykin, Williams=Ingram.

That being said, I do think Mahomes is a better passer and I look forward to seeing these guys go at it for years to come!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krambone said:

Down 10 with 6 min to go he won’t get you 21 unanswered! Mahomes is far superior but hats off to Lamar for a fantastic season.

So you are comparing the 3rd year 2018 MVP and 2020 SB winner who inherited a stable and talented team that consistently made the playoffs to the 2nd yr 2019 MVP who had a team rebuilt from scratch around him in 1 season?

Both of these guys literally are learning the game and just started what may be 10-15 year careers and you are already talking about who is far more superior?

Fantasy wise I disagree, they are both capable of putting up +30 pt games every week. 🤣

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 8:32 PM, Deuce1042 said:

Do you have a source on this?  I know they ran a ton of option plays, including veer and read, as well as a lot of designed runs by the QB, but I’d be interested to hear the basis of your claim that they seldom ran RPOs.

3 hours ago, m_cox22 said:

In my opinion, its a little rich to say he's "far superior". Don't be fooled by the outcome, Mahomes made some questionable to bad plays last night that most everyone will overlook. I also don't think its fair to compare players when one teams supporting cast is outmatched and more inexperienced. Kelce>Andrews, Hill>Brown, Watkins>Snead, Hardman>Boykin, Williams=Ingram.

That being said, I do think Mahomes is a better passer and I look forward to seeing these guys go at it for years to come!

Mahomes is by far the best qb in the league. He is far superior to Jackson, and anyone else for that matter

Edited by Chippa

3 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Mahomes is by far the best qb in the league. He is far superior to Jackson, and anyone else for that matter

I agree with that assessment. Injury really held back Mahomes and that offense during the regular season. They were much healthier down the stretch.

That being said, Lamar is an amazing QB in fantasy and a very good real life QB. Lamar would still probably be the #1 fantasy QB even with a healthy Mahomes. The running ability is such a difference maker in fantasy.

59 minutes ago, Chippa said:

I think it's a bit of a moot point to say that the 2018 MVP and current SB MVP is the best in the league. Saying he is "far superior" to ALL other QB's a bit silly. Somehow I think Big ben, Brady,Brees,Rodgers and even Rivers would have done very well if you plugged them into the KC offense. 

Why do people seem to forget how talented this offense was for years across the board even when Alex Smith was the QB? 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

I think it's a bit of a moot point to say that the 2018 MVP and current SB MVP is the best in the league. Saying he is "far superior" to ALL other QB's a bit silly. Somehow I think Big ben, Brady,Brees,Rodgers and even Rivers would have done very well if you plugged them into the KC offense. 

Why do people seem to forget how talented this offense was for years across the board even when Alex Smith was the QB? 🤣

The KC offense under Smith was nothing like what it has been like under Mahomes.