NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m worried that his quad may tighten up tomorrow and won’t be right next week.   exploring other options

Benched again...wish I had a QB who could play the entire game! Might try to find one of those interchangeable ones on the waiver wire for next week. 

On 2/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, sSektor said:

This. The only way I would feel comfortable drafting him in the first in normal 1QB .5ppr leagues is:

1 - I expect him to put up similar numbers

2 - I don't expect the league to adjust as they often do

3 - I expect him to play a full 16 games again rushing as much as he does

I don't know if Lamar will rush for over a 1000 yards next year but I'm not understanding people who think he's gonna fall off a cliff (unless he gets injured). The anti-Lamar club likes to move the goalpost on him I get it, but don't put yourself in a position to get humbled (again) by thinking the league "figures out" great players. They don't. They can figure out your offense. But that's why great players and great offensive coordinators make adjustments to their game. Plus slowing down Lamar has a lot to do with personnel which the majority of the league just doesn't have it. 

And I'm not saying you're in the anti-Lamar club, I'm speaking hypothetically. 

On 2/14/2020 at 1:32 PM, Deuce1042 said:

I don't know if Lamar will rush for over a 1000 yards next year but I'm not understanding people who think he's gonna fall off a cliff (unless he gets injured). The anti-Lamar club likes to move the goalpost on him I get it, but don't put yourself in a position to get humbled (again) by thinking the league "figures out" great players. They don't. They can figure out your offense. But that's why great players and great offensive coordinators make adjustments to their game. Plus slowing down Lamar has a lot to do with personnel which the majority of the league just doesn't have it. 

And I'm not saying you're in the anti-Lamar club, I'm speaking hypothetically. 

Idk how anyone can doubt his talent after last season. Sure hes not pat mahomes but pat mahomes isnt lamar Jackson either. They're different and each are awesome. We should just accept it and draft him accordingly.

5 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Idk how anyone can doubt his talent after last season. Sure hes not pat mahomes but pat mahomes isnt lamar Jackson either. They're different and each are awesome. We should just accept it and draft him accordingly.

“doubt his talent”

he’s really really athletic. No doubt about it. He can run fast. 

17 minutes ago, Chippa said:

“doubt his talent”

Did Lamar kick your dog or something?  😅

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Chippa said:

“doubt his talent”

See...Lamar probably isn't otherworldly fast straight line. People commonly say that he's a 4.3 guy but he's probably closer to a 4.5 guy than a 4.3 guy. Fast enough to outrun most defensive ends and linebackers and makes him difficult to run down in the open field...but it's not he blows by corners like Tyreek Hill. His speed is not what makes him special as a runner much less as a player. 

• Like 1

He apparently ran a 4.34 back at Louisville but that time isn't really verified. He might be a 4.3 guy but he doesn't look like Mecole Hardman to me. But apparently Lamar's speed on film is deceptive and the dude legitimately has burners when you're on the field with him. 

Edited by Deuce1042
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

He apparently ran a 4.34 back at Louisville but that time isn't really verified. He might be a 4.3 guy but he doesn't look like Mecole Hardman to me. But apparently Lamar's speed on film is deceptive and the dude legitimately has burners when you're on the field with him. 

I watched every game he played at Louisville and during his heisman season the announcers said repeatedly "the team did a 40 yard dash competition in the preseason and Lamar Jackson is the 2nd fastest player on the Louisville team" the player that beat him was a CB named jaire alexander who ran a 4.38 at the combine. But some players game speeds are faster than their 40s. Emmit smith is a good example 

16 hours ago, Chippa said:

“doubt his talent”

For fantasy purposes...as long as he’s young and healthy-  he’ll be a monster. 

But will he ever win a title?   Or even get close?  The answer to that has very little to do with his running ability.   TBD 

5 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I watched every game he played at Louisville and during his heisman season the announcers said repeatedly "the team did a 40 yard dash competition in the preseason and Lamar Jackson is the 2nd fastest player on the Louisville team" the player that beat him was a CB named jaire alexander who ran a 4.38 at the combine. But some players game speeds are faster than their 40s. Emmit smith is a good example 

I'm a Louisville fan (I'm originally from Kentucky) and yeah I remember that being said. He was reportedly a 4.42 going into his Heisman season and a 4.34 going into his junior season (he noticeably looked faster that year). Part of the reason he didn't run the 40 at the combine or his pro day was because he didn't want scouts hounding him about working out at another position, but I also think part of the reason he didn't is because he wouldn't have benefited from a fast time, and it would've hurt his draft stock if he ran a "slow" time. 

If Lamar ran a 4.3 it doesn't matter because we thought he was fast anyway. If he "only " runs a 4.5 then suddenly "he's not as good an athlete as we thought". I think Lamar is closer to a 4.5 than a 4.3 but like I said, his speed isn't what makes him special as a runner anyway. Plenty of fast guys in the league aren't better runners of the football than him. To your last point that definitely counted for Colin Kaepernick. He was "only" a 4.5 guy but I never saw him get caught from behind once he got to top speed.