NBC Sports Edge Forums

Adley Rutschman - C - Oregon State

Recently read an article by Jonathan Mayo opining that Rutschman could be in the Top 10 next year if he continues to rake at OSU.    Seems to have the talent to stick at catcher, with a lot of power and great plate discipline.  

2018 - .408/.505/.628   53:40  BB:K    9 HR  83 RBI

2019 - .410/.586/.782   36/18  BB:K    8 HR  29 RBI  

Seems like a lock for 1:1 to the Orioles....

Edited by tm30
  • Like 1
On 4/2/2019 at 2:32 PM, tm30 said:

Recently read an article by Jonathan Mayo opining that Rutschman could be in the Top 10 next year if he continues to rake at OSU.    Seems to have the talent to stick at catcher, with a lot of power and great plate discipline.  

2018 - .408/.505/.628   53:40  BB:K    9 HR  83 RBI

2019 - .410/.586/.782   36/18  BB:K    8 HR  29 RBI  

Seems like a lock for 1:1 to the Orioles....

If he’s anything like Matt Wieters, I’m sold

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 6:26 AM, BMcP said:

If he’s anything like Matt Wieters, I’m sold

Really? Personally I would be disappointed bc IMO, Wieters fell waaaayyy short of expectations. He’s had a decently long career in the bigs but when he was coming up he was supposed to be the next big thing at Catcher. He wasn’t.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, nodnarbnap said:

Watching this kid for sure, gonna be one of my main targets next year. Let’s hope he fast tracks!

Barring an injury or just an abysmal start to his minor league career, would not be surprised if the kid is in Baltimore by the end of 2020. He's that good defensively. 

3 hours ago, LoGo said:

Barring an injury or just an abysmal start to his minor league career, would not be surprised if the kid is in Baltimore by the end of 2020. He's that good defensively. 

Exactly my thought. I have a feeling he is here next year. Gonna be targeting him early in my draft...I’ll hold him all year if need be. Haha

5 hours ago, LoGo said:

2 hours ago, nodnarbnap said:

Exactly my thought. I have a feeling he is here next year. Gonna be targeting him early in my draft...I’ll hold him all year if need be. Haha

Doubtful.. Baltimore isn't competing next season and there's no reason to bring him up prior to 2021 super 2.

Obviously anything can happen, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. 

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

Doubtful.. Baltimore isn't competing next season and there's no reason to bring him up prior to 2021 super 2.

Unless they decide to buy out his arbitration eligible years, which would be a nice gesture to the fans, particularly for such a polished prospect. Of course, catcher has a steep learning curve to be considered MLB ready, so that may put a damper on a potential buy out decision. I suppose it depends how quickly he appears to pick up what they need him to defensively between now the early part of next season.

5 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

September call up is more along the lines of what I meant. I agree, he won't be a major component to their team next year regardless. 

5 hours ago, LoGo said:

September call up is more along the lines of what I meant. I agree, he won't be a major component to their team next year regardless. 

No September callups next year.  This is the last season of them.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

No September callups next year.  This is the last season of them.

Donno how I missed that news but I did. I retract my 2020 cup-o-coffee prediction then. 

29 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

he played his first minor league game yesterday. he went hitless. I am sure better days are ahead. Even the orioles can't screw this guy up....right? 

Huh?  

It took some time for Adley Rutschman to make his professional debut, but once he was finally out there, it didn't take long for him to show why he went No. 1 overall in last month's Draft.

Rutschman homered in his first-ever Minor League game as the Gulf Coast League Orioles fell to the Pirates, 6-4, on Saturday in Bradenton, Florida. Baltimore's top selection had been sidelined while dealing with a case of mononucleosis.

• 11 months later...