NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Boston Red Sox 2019 Outlook

jfazz23

Jd mart another HR today.  im thinking he opts out after this year unless he has a season ending injury

can Boston sign him after paying Sale (who stinks now), xander and eventually Betts???  hell be 32....im guessing hell be looking for something like 5 years 100 mil.  hes a boras guy so he will almost certainly opt out

Edited by jfazz23

8 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Jd mart another HR today.  im thinking he opts out after this year unless he has a season ending injury

can Boston sign him after paying Sale (who stinks now), xander and eventually Betts???  hell be 32....im guessing hell be looking for something like 5 years 100 mil.  hes a boras guy so he will almost certainly opt out

He'd be a great test case for the new "market" if he opts out given his age. 

Heck, if I'm remembering correctly he had a tough time getting offers two years ago. 

18 hours ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

The Redsox will be fine. They caught a horrible draw of west coast games to start the year. Much like the Rockies waiting to play in Coors, this team will explode at least offensively once they get back to Fenway and AL East. 

Unfortunately "offense" is not the problem here, starting pitchers have a collective 9+ ERA and Safeco/Oakland Coliseum are not exactly "hitter parks".

I think they need Sandy Leon back. Can’t hit but he’s a good game caller and the pitchers like throwing to him. Good defensive catcher with a great arm. Perhaps he’d help the pitching staff settle down.

Edited by coleporter
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, coleporter said:

I think they need Sandy Leon back. Can’t hit but he’s a good game caller and the pitchers like throwing to him. Good defensive catcher with a great arm. Perhaps he’d help the pitching staff settle down.

As much as it may be fun to imagine one catcher could right the ship, I think something is fundamentally wrong with the entire rotation - well past the point of fixing with a catcher switch.

1 minute ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Did the team have a choice regarding this road trip to open the season? Geez. Hubris or just a terrible hand?

Do teams generally have a say in their schedule in MLB?

Just now, My Dinner With Andre said:

Is that rhetorical lol? I honestly don't know. I thought the first few series of the season they might have some input (eg, what day and time they want to have their home opener due to weather considerations). 

Honestly, I don’t know!

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Is that rhetorical lol? I honestly don't know. I thought the first few series of the season they might have some input (eg, what day and time they want to have their home opener due to weather considerations). 

Of course no team has a say in the MLB schedule.  It would be worse than the Black Sox scandal.  Or asking the fox if he'd like to hang out in the chicken coop.  The AL East plays the NL West this season in interleague so there are more games than usual in the west for ALL AL East teams this season.  Sox happened to have one of their trips at the beginning.

Opening Day is set by MLB as well with an off day immediately afterwards for teams not playing in a dome.  MLB does tend to try and have more home games in sunnier or drier climates or domes at the beginning of the seasons.  They have been doing that for years now.  And it is impossible to get all teams in those locations early of course.  But they don't ask teams who they want to play or when.  Geez.

BTW I'm sure the Sox and Yankees are none to thrilled to be flying all the way over to London at the end of June for a two game series there.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

DFA’d Swihart today, in favor of Sandy Leon. My question, and maybe @The Big Bat Theory can chime in, is what is the draw with Christian Vazquez? Why not bring up Leon, use Swihart sparingly at C, and DFA Vazquez who is horrible?

Either way, this team is a mess top to bottom. 

Vasquez signed a muti-year deal with the Sox was it last year before the season started.  They view him as their prime catcher for years to come.  He is a good one but not any better than Leone.  Sox just hoped that Vasquez, unlike Leone, could learn to use a bat.  He hasn't.  He teases with a few minor streaks then goes back into a Leone-like bat stupor.

Team isn't a mess top to bottom.  But the catcher spot hitting wise now totally is.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 3:53 AM, coleporter said:

I didn't have the guts to post this but was thinking the same thing.  Guess we'll find out now, but props to you sir.

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Vasquez signed a muti-year deal with the Sox was it last year before the season started.  They view him as their prime catcher for years to come.  He is a good one but not any better than Leone.  Sox just hoped that Vasquez, unlike Leone, could learn to use a bat.  He hasn't.  He teases with a few minor streaks then goes back into a Leone-like bat stupor.

Team isn't a mess top to bottom.  But the catcher spot hitting wise now totally is.

Well, except C, SP, RP, and rest of lineup, this team looks great. 

I’m not saying they won’t turn it around, but they’re a mess right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Well, except C, SP, RP, and rest of lineup, this team looks great. 

I’m not saying they won’t turn it around, but they’re a mess right now.

Well the two "closers" are fine but the rest of the bullpen is crap.  The SP and hitters will start to do there thing eventually.  Middle relievers, C and 2B are the black holes.  The rest will be okay to good.

16 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The SP and hitters will start to do there thing eventually

Sale will get better but other than that... uhhh look at those guys. they are doing their thing!

• Haha 1