NBC Sports Edge Forums

I looked but didn't see a thread already started for this. If I missed it, mods please delete.

I realize the draft is still a few weeks out, but I'm curious to know how the rookie RB's are viewed pre and post draft, as well as going into the pre-season. Basically, I'm hoping this is an ongoing discussion leading up to FF drafts. 

Thanks!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Darrell Henderson is my favorite RB in this draft. Assuming he winds up on the right team, I think he can be this year’s Philip Lindsay. Or at least the closest thing to it.

Hes awesome. But hes 20lbs bigger than lindsay but seems just as dynamic. Hoping my bears draft him or alex barns late late

Running back Frank Gore forced nine missed tackles out of the no-huddle offense last year at a rate of 0.50 missed tackles forced per touch; both of these figures ranked first among backs with at leas

Most experts are of the consensus that there are no generational talents like Saquon or Zeke in this year's class. This doesn't necessarily mean there won't be valuable young backs to grab in your annual dynasty rookie draft.

My top 5 (well maybe 6) rankings are as follows:

1. Josh Jacobs - "Minimal tread on the tires" narrative. Excels in the passing game. Modern day NFL RB. Ray Rice comps.

2. David Montgomery - Best tackler breaker in the class. Lots of tread on the tire. Underrated wide receiver. Fantastic balance. Can excel in the right situation.

3. Damien Harris - Doesn't excel at anything, solid at everything. Mark Ingram comps.

4. Rodney Anderson - RB1 skillset. Probably would have been the consensus 1.01 if he stayed healthy this season. Can't stay healthy. Liability in pass protection.

5A. Miles Sanders - High school star. Played in the shadows of Barkley. Great combine has helped. Fumbles are a real problem (1 fumble every ~35ish carries at PENN)

5B. Darrel Henderson - Electric. Vision not great, but great tackle breaker. Aaron Jones comps.

Darrell Henderson is my favorite RB in this draft. Assuming he winds up on the right team, I think he can be this year’s Philip Lindsay. Or at least the closest thing to it.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Hes awesome. But hes 20lbs bigger than lindsay but seems just as dynamic. Hoping my bears draft him or alex barns late late

• Like 2
17 hours ago, The G Man said:

I looked but didn't see a thread already started for this. If I missed it, mods please delete.

I realize the draft is still a few weeks out, but I'm curious to know how the rookie RB's are viewed pre and post draft, as well as going into the pre-season. Basically, I'm hoping this is an ongoing discussion leading up to FF drafts. 

Thanks!

They usually move these to the college football forum until the draft.

10 hours ago, Mr2Saint said:

5B. Darrel Henderson - Electric. Vision not great, but great tackle breaker. Aaron Jones comps.

10 hours ago, Dislimb said:

you mean slippery shoes henderson?

WeirdBeneficialAsianconstablebutterfly-m

sorry, had to post that.

here, this is more representative of the kid's ability

hendersontd.gif

• Like 1

I've started to look into some of these guys and obviously this will change based on landing spot, but right now Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders, and Darrell Henderson are my favorites. I'm not sold on David Montgomery. For some reason I get a Samaje Perine feeling when I watch his highlights.

A mid-round guy that I really like is Mike Weber out of Ohio State. Kid has good size and shiftiness.

A late round guy that I think is really intriguing is Jordan Scarlett out of UF. I'm a Nole so I follow UF somewhat closely and this dude is a serious talent. He played behind some craptastic OLs early in his career and had some off the field issues but there's no denying his ability. If he lands in a good spot he could make some noise at the next level. Definitely a guy to keep your eye on.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Geaux Saints said:

I'm not sold on David Montgomery. For some reason I get a Samaje Perine feeling when I watch his highlight

I agree. He runs like old frank gore. Idk why teams would want this slow plodder but teams keep signing gore so I clearly dont know what I'm talking about. I guess he would be a decent fit for the ravens if they wanna run it 50 times a game

3 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Seems like a great fit in KC as well

Makes sense. I’ve heard several Kareem Hunt comps when folks have analyzed him. I see a hybrid Hunt/Tevin Coleman myself.

17 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Jamaal Charles 2.0

please go to the bears

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I agree. He runs like old frank gore. Idk why teams would want this slow plodder but teams keep signing gore so I clearly dont know what I'm talking about. I guess he would be a decent fit for the ravens if they wanna run it 50 times a game

Running back Frank Gore forced nine missed tackles out of the no-huddle offense last year at a rate of 0.50 missed tackles forced per touch; both of these figures ranked first among backs with at least 10 attempts. Gore has forced 354 total missed tackles as a rusher during his career within the PFF era (2006-Present), which is the third-most among running backs over the last 13 seasons.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Running back Frank Gore forced nine missed tackles out of the no-huddle offense last year at a rate of 0.50 missed tackles forced per touch; both of these figures ranked first among backs with at least 10 attempts. Gore has forced 354 total missed tackles as a rusher during his career within the PFF era (2006-Present), which is the third-most among running backs over the last 13 seasons.

9 missed tackles out of a no huddle. Pretty specific circumstances to bring up. But this is accurate none the less since Montgomery led the NCAA in broken tackles 2 years in a row. I guess I was a little harsh on him but his acceleration and speed is a cause for concern for me if I said he ran like young frank gore he would have a little more pep in his step. I'm sure that's when frank made most of those missed tackles happen too. But Montgomery was constantly being caught from behind in college plays that looked like 60 yards TDs ended up being 30 yards gains. He ran a slow 40 at the combine and his tape shows it. He might be too slow to get through the holes at the next level. 

Ha!  Yes, I guess my point was really just that - it’s frickin’ amazing how good Gore still is.  He is truly The Eternal One.  I think he may have nearly led the league in some other stat, like elusiveness or something.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Jamaal Charles 2.0

please go to the bears

Style-wise...Henderson’s highlights remind me of Spiller’s Clemson tape.   Which I watched over, and over, and over back then.

Edited by psygolf
3 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Miles Sanders will end up being the best of the class.  Hope he has a good landing spot.

Agreed. I think Sanders and Anderson are the best talents, followed by Jacobs and Henderson. Montgomery is the safest but far from the most athletic/upside

Landing spot will be crucial, more so for these rookie RBs than in the past as there aren't any real alpha dogs at the position in this years draft.

High interest (as potential RB1 material) in order:

MSanders, DHenderson, DHarris, DMontgomery, JJacobs, RAnderson and WHills

COP options:

BLove and JHill

On 4/14/2019 at 7:43 PM, RMJ_12 said:

Miles Sanders will end up being the best of the class.  Hope he has a good landing spot.

i prefer josh jacobs, but for fantasy miles sanders might end up being a better value: jacobs' ADP is already in the 7th round and he doesn't even have a team yet.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:22 AM, m_cox22 said:

Fumbles can be fixed.

not if you're in the doghouse

doghouse3.jpg

1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

i prefer josh jacobs, but for fantasy miles sanders might end up being a better value: jacobs' ADP is already in the 7th round and he doesn't even have a team yet.

not if you're in the doghouse

doghouse3.jpg

You don't draft a guy knowing he fumbles to put him in the doghouse when he does.

13 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

You don't draft a guy knowing he fumbles to put him in the doghouse when he does.

100% logical, however the statement discounts emotion, and coaches and players and turmoil (i.e. fumbles) on the field gets heavily emotional yielding actionable consequences.

tenor.gif

I've traded out of the 1st Rd in my Rookie draft, so I am researching some later round RBs.

1) Anyone got any inside information or a feel for RB Kerrith Whyte? 5'10" 200lbs RB out of FAU:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-sleepers/

"You probably thought Devin Singletary was the only running back from Florida Atlantic, and who could blame you. Singletary did lead the team in touches and found his way into the end zone a remarkable 55 times over the last two years but when it is all said and done, Whyte may end up as a better fit for the NFL. Whyte is a bigger back and a better pass catcher. Oh, by the way, he just happens to be the best athlete too. I don’t mean the best out of Florida Atlantic. I mean the best at the entire position in this year’s draft class. He ran a faster forty (4.36) than Justice Hill, performed 21 bench press reps (more than  Miles Sanders, had the best broad jump in the class (132″, just 2″ shorter than DK Metcalf) and a 42″ vertical which was also the best in the class (and 1.5″ better than Metcalf). Perhaps best of all, Singletary’s motor kept Whyte’s legs fresh for the NFL. Some have Whyte as undrafted but I see a team like the Jaguars drafting him in the 6th or 7th to replace Cory Grant as the team’s primary returner. If Fournette goes down with another injury, look out for Whyte to become that no-name running back to burst onto the fantasy scene."

2) Interested even more in 6'02" 218lbs (unofficial) Wes Hills out of Slippery Rock:

In 32 games played while at the University of Delaware, Hills put up: 286/1849/14 (6.yds/carry) and 10/67

After transferring to DII Slippery Rock University, in his lone season (12 games) he put up: 246/1714/17 (6.97yds/carry) and 28/193

3) Also, intrigued by 5'11" 222lbs RB Devine Ozigbo NE who came on the scene as a Senior at NE: 155/1082/12 (7yds/carry) and 23/203

Thoughts?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I've traded out of the 1st Rd in my Rookie draft, so I am researching some later round RBs.

1) Anyone got any inside information or a feel for RB Kerrith Whyte? 5'10" 200lbs RB out of FAU:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-sleepers/

"You probably thought Devin Singletary was the only running back from Florida Atlantic, and who could blame you. Singletary did lead the team in touches and found his way into the end zone a remarkable 55 times over the last two years but when it is all said and done, Whyte may end up as a better fit for the NFL. Whyte is a bigger back and a better pass catcher. Oh, by the way, he just happens to be the best athlete too. I don’t mean the best out of Florida Atlantic. I mean the best at the entire position in this year’s draft class. He ran a faster forty (4.36) than Justice Hill, performed 21 bench press reps (more than  Miles Sanders, had the best broad jump in the class (132″, just 2″ shorter than DK Metcalf) and a 42″ vertical which was also the best in the class (and 1.5″ better than Metcalf). Perhaps best of all, Singletary’s motor kept Whyte’s legs fresh for the NFL. Some have Whyte as undrafted but I see a team like the Jaguars drafting him in the 6th or 7th to replace Cory Grant as the team’s primary returner. If Fournette goes down with another injury, look out for Whyte to become that no-name running back to burst onto the fantasy scene."

2) Interested even more in 6'02" 218lbs (unofficial) Wes Hills out of Slippery Rock:

In 32 games played while at the University of Delaware, Hills put up: 286/1849/14 (6.yds/carry) and 10/67

After transferring to DII Slippery Rock University, in his lone season (12 games) he put up: 246/1714/17 (6.97yds/carry) and 28/193

3) Also, intrigued by 5'11" 222lbs RB Devine Ozigbo NE who came on the scene as a Senior at NE: 155/1082/12 (7yds/carry) and 23/203

Thoughts?

They talk about all these guys on the roto-underworld radio podcast. Couple of analytics guys and they love all 3 of them. But I guess it all depends on where they're drafted too first 

• Thanks 1

...and one more:

5'11" 220lbs RB Darrin Hall Pitt

Senior year: 153/1144/10 (7.5yds/carry) and 15/66

Career: 381/2189/21 (5.7yds/carry) and 38/267/1

Recent write-up/analysis: https://dynastyfootballfactory.com/making-the-case-for-darrin-hall-rb-university-of-pittsburgh/

Anyone got info/thoughts on this guy?

Edited by FollowTheLeader