NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jeter Downs, SS, Los Angeles Dodgers

I'm a fan. 

This article is fantastic going over him:

2019 Dodgers Top 100 Prospects: No. 9, 2B/SS Jeter Downs

Dustin Nosler 03/20/2019 2019 Prospects, Jeter Downs274 Comments

Jeter-Downs-Flickr-Marshall-Dunlap-2-600
Jeter Downs (Via)

Next up in the Top 100 prospect countdown is one of the newest prospects in the organization who was acquired for a fan favorite in Yasiel Puig.

9. Jeter Downs

DOB: 7/27/98 Age: 20 Height: 5’11 Weight: 180 Bats: Right Throws: Right Position: 2B/SS
Tools Now Future
Hit 35 55
Power 30 50
Speed 50 50
Defense 40 55
Arm 40 55
FV/Risk 55 High
Type of hitter: Fly ball despite size, few ground balls, need more liners

Acquired: Trade with Reds December 2018; 1st round Competitive Balance Round A (No. 32 overall) of 2017 MLB Draft, Monsignor Edward Pace HS (Fla.), $1,822,500 signing bonus

Physical description: Wiry, sneaky strong, athletic build, well-rounded

Strengths: Above-average bat speed, already elevates, developing power, advanced for age

Weaknesses: Lack of upper-level experience, might not stick at shortstop, “only” average speed

Key statistics: .257/.351/.402, 9.9 BB%, 19.7 K%, .145 ISO

Summary: Chosen nine spots after the Dodgers popped Jeren Kendall in 2017, Downs was the Reds’ competitive balance selection and got a quick assignment to Billings of the Pioneer League. He got bumped up to the Midwest League in his second professional season and handled himself pretty well. In a notoriously tough league for hitters, Downs posted some solid offensive numbers, including some surprising pop. He also stole 37 bases in 47 attempts.

Downs combines above-average bat speed with an elevated swing path to produce a high number of fly balls for a guy who looks like he’d more ground ball/line drive-oriented. He has a relatively quiet setup from the right side. He doesn’t have much of a leg kick or stride, but is still able to generate good bat speed that results in loud contact. He’s almost a little too fly ball happy, though, considering he doesn’t project to hit for much more than average power at his peak (maybe 55-grade if he continues to develop).  And it’s virtually all pull-side power. He could stand to level out the swing a bit to grain some more line drives at the expense of some fly balls. But with the Dodgers’ hitting philosophy in the minors, you can see hwy they targeted Downs in trade talks with the Reds. He also displays advanced plate discipline, which should help him as he climbs the minor-league ladder.

He’s athletic enough to handle shortstop, but there are two reasons he might have to move off shortstop: His arm and his range, the former of which being a bigger issue than the latter. If he does move to the pivot, he could be an above-average defender at second base. He’ll probably stick at shortstop for the time being, but he’ll likely have to move. Some have said there’s a non-zero chance he could end up in center field, but that doesn’t seem terribly likely at this stage. As a runner, he has average speed, but don’t the 37 stolen bases fool you; Downs doesn’t project to be much of a stolen base threat at the MLB level. He might get to 10-15 stolen bases, but efficiency will be more his game.

Downs could be the Dodgers’ second baseman of the future, especially if he continues to show offensive upside he has in his first two professional seasons. If not, he could be a second-division starter or a utility infielder with pop. He should spend ample time in High-A with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes this season.

Spray Charts

Jeter-Downs-spray-chart-2018-600x462.png
Jeter Downs Spray Chart
Jeter-Downs-hit-spray-chart-2018-600x462
Jeter Downs Hit Spray Chart

Videos

2018 Ranking: NR
2019 Location: High-A Rancho Cucamonga
ETA: 2022

Next Up: Prospect No. 8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

One of a very small group of minor leaguers producing both power and speed.

20 years old in A+.  Hitting .254/.324/.464.  Only a .289 BABIP so all those numbers could be a bit higher.  Has 12 homers and 18 steals in just about half a season (310 PA).  He's a SS, though seems destined to move to 2b.  Also his steals are apparently more due to awareness than actual speed, which will limit his steals potential in the majors.  

But for those of you who use minor leaguers to speculate on trade assets, Downs being a 20 homer 30 steal minor leaguer should have some good value.  

Not considered a big prospect on the prospecting lists, but worth a look if you need someone.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

What are the chances of Downs getting a shot to be the BoSox 2B by 2021? Or is most likely looking like a 2022 guy? His minor league numbers are intriguing. 

If he continues to mash I think it’s likely he debuts early/mid 2021. He made it to AA this year.

Red Sox have to replace Pedroia.  They got Jose Pereza to work in with Chavis this year.  Next season JBJ will be gone so Chavis could move to a corner with Benny or Verdugo to center.  Peraza has one year contract.  2021 looks wide wide open now if Downs is remotely ready.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, svdude said:

Any chance Sox bring him up this year to see what they have?  Interesting mix of power and speed.

Don't see any reason to start his clock in a lost season.  His ETA time was always not until next year.  Dalbec was the only prospect expected up this season since he was already MLB ready last spring.  Downs probably benefits more working out with coaches every day at the alternate site.  But anything is possible in this weird year I guess.

• Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...

With the way the Red Sox lineup has been performing, I have grown far more excited for Downs. The only thing that kind of sucks now is the fact they signed Keke who can fill in at 2B.. obviously that dude can play at multiple positions, but it also doesn't give the Sox a giant need at 2B either. But man, if this kid can come up at 2B and work his way to the top of that Sox lineup.. I think we are looking at a keeper. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LarryDavid said:

With the way the Red Sox lineup has been performing, I have grown far more excited for Downs. The only thing that kind of sucks now is the fact they signed Keke who can fill in at 2B.. obviously that dude can play at multiple positions, but it also doesn't give the Sox a giant need at 2B either. But man, if this kid can come up at 2B and work his way to the top of that Sox lineup.. I think we are looking at a keeper. 

The organization and especially Alex Cora also love Christian Arroyo so there would have to be at least one injury or maybe two to get Downs up this year.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The organization and especially Alex Cora also love Christian Arroyo so there would have to be at least one injury or maybe two to get Downs up this year.

Yeah for sure, I know what you mean. No doubt it is going to take a injury or two. I’m sure they do like Arroyo, but I personally can’t see him being the reason they would keep Downs (I almost said Downs down) in the minors if they did have a need or he was just tearing it up. 

He was a key piece in the polarizing Mookie deal. So I think that alone will give the front office reason to want to bring him up and show him off if either of the above happens.. imo regardless of very average Arroyo. 

8 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

Yeah for sure, I know what you mean. No doubt it is going to take a injury or two. I’m sure they do like Arroyo, but I personally can’t see him being the reason they would keep Downs (I almost said Downs down) in the minors if they did have a need or he was just tearing it up. 

He was a key piece in the polarizing Mookie deal. So I think that alone will give the front office reason to want to bring him up and show him off if either of the above happens.. imo regardless of very average Arroyo. 

They think that Arroyo is a really good defensive 2B which allows them to use Kike more in the outfield that then helps keep down not only Jeter but outfielder Jarred Duran as well.  So yeah.  Injuries.

As far as the trade goes, Boston fans are too busy loving Verdugo to remember Jeter was part of the deal really.  Everyone here knows the Sox offered Mookie a big multi-year contract and he turned it down.  It was obvious he wanted to leave and the Dodgers were good trade partners to get a decent return on someone the Sox would only have had a few more months.