NBC Sports Edge Forums

Julio Rodriguez, OF, Seattle Mariners

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel like I have to put a note in enough of these threads, but once again I will say it.... Due to upcoming collective bargaining agreement, there is going to be a real push to limit control on

once in a while, someone special comes along and you can just feel it. Any list placing him outside the top-10 is a criminal underranking, in my opinion. It's not just his plate skills or frame or p

I asked Dipoto if there is any chance of Rodriguez getting fast-tracked all the way to Seattle this coming summer.   "He wants to not only play in the big leagues, he wants to play in the bi

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

Suffers quad injury in DWL

November 25, 2020

Rodriguez suffered from quadriceps discomfort while playing in a game Tuesday for Dominican Winter League club Leones del Escogido.

ANALYSIS
Rodriguez will presumably be evaluated over the next few days before a determination is made on his status for the remainder of the DWL season. After the 2020 minor-league season was cancelled and he missed extended time at the Mariners' alternate training site with a fractured wrist, Rodriguez chose to head to the Dominican Republic for the winter to make up for the lost developmental work.

BUT - it looks like he is back in the lineup tonight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 months later...

I know he won’t make the M’s roster out of ST, but he’s looking quite good. Hitting 10-for-30 with 2 HR and 3 SB. He has 10 Ks in 36 PAs and earned his 6th walk tonight. It’s ST and SSS, but it’s encouraging. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, fishingguy12345 said:

To me, this question implies that they are similar players... and everything I've seen says they are not similar players. 

My comment was specific to fantasy value. Are they both future first picks based on potential or is that too close for comfort?

I wish the Rays would take this approach with Franco and get him consistent ABs instead of giving him days off constantly and then when they do play him giving him one AB late in the game. He should be playing the entire spring given the lack of a minor league season last year.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, lakhania said:

My comment was specific to fantasy value. Are they both future first picks based on potential or is that too close for comfort?

I’m very high on Julio, so yes as far as future 1st rounders. I don’t think he has the same ceiling as Wander though, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

I think Wander and Julio are closer in fantasy then in real life. Wander plays a premium position and many sites' rankings include defense, which is why a guy like Pache ranks so highly on most lists. 

I am super high on Julio (as well as Wander)...I think what @Backdoor Slider was getting at is that the threshold for OF (esp corner guys) is very high, there are so many and replacement levels have to be a factor. Wander is a no doubt "on the dirt" guy and it really doesn't alter things much if it is 3B, 2B or SS...his impact with the bat at those spots really puts his ceiling higher in relation.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Any chance he gets the call this year?  Just wondering if he'd be worth hanging on to in keeper.

I think a cup of coffee in September, best case scenario.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

Any chance he gets the call this year?  Just wondering if he'd be worth hanging on to in keeper.

I’d like to see where he’s designated first. I’ve read AA or AAA. Probably not until September, but never know based on injuries/ineffectiveness. NO ONE expected Soto up when he got the call.

23 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’d like to see where he’s designated first. I’ve read AA or AAA. Probably not until September, but never know based on injuries/ineffectiveness. NO ONE expected Soto up when he got the call.

Yea that's what i'm hoping for here.  the talent's certainly there for sure.

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Soto took 2 injuries at least.  Kendrick was injured in a game and robles was already hurt.  Eaton may have also been injured, can't remember. Mariners also seem to have a lot of guys that  can play OF.   Fomo will have me holding all year though.

Edited by Cesare13
52 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

Any chance he is called up mid season? 

Very slim.  Not only will he have to perform like gangbusters, Seattle has to think they've got a chance at a playoff slot.  Only one of those seems like a realistic possibility.  

On 3/30/2021 at 10:03 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I feel like I have to put a note in enough of these threads, but once again I will say it....

Due to upcoming collective bargaining agreement, there is going to be a real push to limit control on pre free agency players.  There is a belief that players called up will be grandfathered in to the current system (7 years if down for 1 month). Thus, I think there's a decent chance we see more big time prospect called up after Super 2 (sometime in June) than ever before.  Not saying julio Rordriguez is going to be a game changer on your fantasy team this season, but i could see him being up.

What is the difference between grandfathered in vs not? 

1 minute ago, fbplayer03 said:

What is the difference between grandfathered in vs not? 

It’s still all speculation but, if they change the rules in the next collective bargaining agreement, they could have one or more years less of control. That would apply to players who haven’t been called up. It’s possible that players called up this year would be subject to the current rules of control. This is what I’ve heard a few times , doesn’t mean for sure that’s the case. If it’s true there’s some incentive to call up guys this year, especially the ones only being held down for financial reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Dipoto Interview

Jerry said he'll start out at A ball and the way I read it, its on JRod how fast he goes. A September call-up would seem to be the minimum expectation based on the player's talent level and expected performance, but if his play warrants it, I could see a mid-summer call based on these comments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 4/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, hgh22 said:

Dipoto Interview

Jerry said he'll start out at A ball and the way I read it, its on JRod how fast he goes. A September call-up would seem to be the minimum expectation based on the player's talent level and expected performance, but if his play warrants it, I could see a mid-summer call based on these comments. 

Barring injuries, I guess I have my doubts. Kelenic will be up first, and there's Lewis and Haniger who are veterans. If Trammel plays well, I don't see the room for Julio in 2021. 

"He reminds me of a young Juan González, and I project he’ll hit 40 home runs annually with several Silver Slugger Awards and MVP honors in the future. His ceiling is unlimited, and so is his talent. He will give you goosebumps when he steps to the plate or makes a throw from right field." - Jim Bowden of The Athletic in a recent article about prospects he's excited to watch this year. Not sure you can get more hyped than that. Bowden also stated JRod is "expected to be up this year, for what thats worth. 

• Like 3