NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Julio Rodriguez, OF, Seattle Mariners

kpmorgan

2 hours ago, hgh22 said:

Starting at High A. This is somewhat surprising to me as he held his own in ST this year, but I still think he will move quickly if he rakes. 

He crushed it in HiA in 2019 as an 18 year old too (tho in only 17 games). That was 2 years ago. Really makes zero sense to start him in HiA unless they want to get him hot there with confidence and then bring him up to AA pretty quickly.  It will be a big step down tho as he played in the Arizona fall league, dominican winter league and 1 and a half spring trainings which are all above the HiA level.  Isn't a concern tho because he's legit too good for hia and won't be there long. 

• Like 1

Did some digging into why he's starting at High A rather than AA, and it seems to be an issue of proximity to Seattle, rather than skill level. You'll notice, quite a few guys are starting at High A on that team that should be AA, traditionally. Their AA team is in Arkansas though, while Everett is relatively close to Seattle.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BillyMartinTrailer said:

Seems like every other clip, he's driving one into the opposite field. REALLY liking his approach. A couple things I'd like to see flash before he jumps to AA/AAA, are HR power, and cut back just a bit on the Ks.

8 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

AA this July and starts next year AAA?  Call up in May similar to Kelenic?

Tough to say. I do hope the Mariners are aggressive with him, he looked pretty ready against MLB pitching this spring. Worst case scenario would be A+ this year, AA next season, AAA year after, MLB Debut 2024. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

I know it’s been alluded to that he won’t be up until next year at the earliest but is it possible he forces their hand this year?

To add to this question.  Is there anyone else that can be up if there's an injury to an Outfielder?  Like if hanniger  or Lewis were to get Carted off the field or something would there me a mad dash to add this guy?  That exact thing happened in Washington (I believe robles would have been the guy,but the was hurt) and I'd prefer to be ahead of the curve. 

Edited by Cesare13

On 5/11/2021 at 3:01 PM, CurvePirate814 said:

Tough to say. I do hope the Mariners are aggressive with him, he looked pretty ready against MLB pitching this spring. Worst case scenario would be A+ this year, AA next season, AAA year after, MLB Debut 2024. 

I have tbh, the only way I see that "worst case" happening is if he struggles with injuries. Otherwise, there's simply no way he's not up by this time next season, at the latest. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

Any comps?

Can’t really think of any, but maybe Andre Dawson after the knee problems? Going way back with that one, although I think Rodriguez will hit for more average. Similar profiles defensively as well with Rodriguez expected to play purely RF but has a big arm out there. I’m talking purely as a hitter, young Dawson played CF and could run like hell, and that’s not Julio’s game.

Edited by killa3312

5 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Can’t really think of any, but maybe Andre Dawson after the knee problems? Going way back with that one, although I think Rodriguez will hit for more average. Similar profiles defensively as well with Rodriguez expected to play purely RF but has a big arm out there. I’m talking purely as a hitter, young Dawson played CF and could run like hell, and that’s not Julio’s game.

Who is the better big leaguer in 2023? 

Kelenic, Rodriguez or Wander?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

Who is the better big leaguer in 2023? 

Kelenic, Rodriguez or Wander?

I love Kelenic and Rodriguez, but Wander has special, once every 15 years bat to ball ability and plate discipline. If he keeps lifting the ball like he has this season so far in AAA, it’s got to be him, but Kelenic and Rodriguez is a hell of a tandem to bike around. Exciting times to be an M’s fan for sure.

Edited by killa3312