NBC Sports Edge Forums

Derek Holland 2019 Outlook

I looked in the Player list to see if there was a Holland thread and I didn't see one.

Nobody seems to be talking about this guy and he is looking great right now.

Last 22 starts going back to June of last season, 129 IP, 142 K (9.91 per 9), and a 2.93 ERA 1.27 WHIP.   That is a pretty big sample size at this point. His home/road splits are also identical and he isn't flashing lucky numbers with the BABIP or HR suppression either.  He is just pitching really well right now.

I don't see anything statistically different from before, but I've watched him going back to his Texas days and he seems to be in much better shape now and has tightened his mechanics.  In the past, he got sloppy with location as he got tired and really got hit hard the second or third time through the lineup or just couldn't locate like he wanted.  Now that doesn't seem to be happening and he is able to pitch deeper into games.  He still walks a few more than I would like, but given his likely cost on draft day, I think he's looking like a pretty good investment at this point.

• Like 3