NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 League Settings Discussion

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Total points is a FAR better tie-breaker. One-week wins/losses can be very flukey. If I beat you in week 10 because your top 4 players were on a bye, and you outscored me by 250 points on the year, yo

PPR is the easiest and should be for new players only. 

This would be the 'fairest' way to determine a winner. Sounds super boring though. H2H is where it's at IMO.

Std vs PPR is only a league’s preference.

The most competitive league I ever saw was a $ league that was total pts for the season, and the further your team fell behind the League median point total >>> the more $ you had to keep weekly putting in.

20 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Std vs PPR is only a league’s preference.

The most competitive league I ever saw was a $ league that was total pts for the season, and the further your team fell behind the League median point total >>> the more $ you had to keep weekly putting in.

This would be the 'fairest' way to determine a winner. Sounds super boring though. H2H is where it's at IMO.

• Like 2

Comes down to the other owners too- might want to build in some kind of relegation if someone regularly finishes near the bottom.    If you do that, and you have at least 12 teams (14 maybe), the rest will take care of itself.   

I actually prefer more bench spots in my most competitive one-  harder to get a waiver wire wonder, and you also have to farm out some potential waiver pickups, i.e. guessing who might go off before they actually do.   

9 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

It’s not boring when you watch your players rake in the money...and there’s no opportunity to call it quits.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:27 PM, psygolf said:

It’s not boring when you watch your players rake in the money...and there’s no opportunity to call it quits.

I just enjoy beating my friends and the H2H aspect more than anything.

• tonycpsu changed the title to 2019 League Settings Discussion

My homer league developed over the last 5 years. We always played with IDP (idk why but it turned out to be real fun).

First year and second year:

Standard nfl.com settings + IDP. Kick >50 yards = 5 points; 

Was a solid year, but something was missing.

Third year:

We added return cards for special team and defense (10 yards 1pt).

Turned out to be crazy. I remember Malcom Jenkins having a 99 yard pick six which turned out to be 18,9 points (9,9 for yards, 3 for int, 6 for TD) in one play. This one guy only took players who returned punts and kicks for their teams and made it to the semi finals.

4th year:

We got rid of return yards and added -1 for missed PAT.

That was kind of a overreaction, but turned out to be okay again.

5th year (last year):

We switched to PPR. Added return yards back, but 25yds = 1pt this time. QB Hit = 1 point (to boost the DL position), Pass deflected = 1.5pts (to boost DB position).

All in all i can say it was all fun, but the year with the return yards was a bit crazy. I won that year (mainly because AB), but it felt more like a "who gets the pick six/return TD" to win the game. 
With the upcoming season I think we will more likely shift to half ppr, because 1ppr is a bit too much imo. But we'll see. I can only advice everyone to try IDP, because that's really fun and adds a whole new dimension to the game (or in other words it gives you 3 new positions to prepare, track, etc. and for me that's the fun).

I'd like to switch to a dynasty league, but that will never happen, because out of the 16 teams 1 or 2 changes every year. My goal for this year is to get them to switch to auction draft, because I'd really like to test it.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
3 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Tony sent me here. I love IR spots. In fact, I think there should be three per team. 😍

I don't really understand the argument against them.

"You should be forced to cut players who are hurt so others can have them later?"

It seems to me to be one of those things people don't like because that's the way their league has always done things, daggumit.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Proteus said:

Not a scoring setting but: Dole out FINES for OUT/BYE players left in lineups.

It’s the only thing I’ve ever seen work to keep the competitive balance as honest as possible.

But sometimes I leave out kickers or defenses for the week, especially if I had won to stash another bench player....

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Proteus said:

Not a scoring setting but: Dole out FINES for OUT/BYE players left in lineups.

It’s the only thing I’ve ever seen work to keep the competitive balance as honest as possible.

glad to see others implementing this ... ours is graduating, to boot - initial fine ($25) gets doubled up each time ... do it twice, $50 ... third time, $100 etc 

15 minutes ago, Szer0 said:

But sometimes I leave out kickers or defenses for the week, especially if I had won to stash another bench player....

when this is done the team incurs an automatic forfeit along with the fines stated above. 

ETA: the forfeit is scored as a 1-0 final, so the opposing owner is screwed as well, as we have highest total points payout each week/end of season, along with total points being the end all tie break for all playoff scenarios. 

wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
12 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

when this is done the team incurs an automatic forfeit along with the fines stated above. 

ETA: the forfeit is scored as a 1-0 final, so the opposing owner is screwed as well, as we have highest total points payout each week/end of season, along with total points being the end all tie break for all playoff scenarios. 

Why should the opposing owner get screwed by only accumulating 1 point? Why not let that team keep the points scored with the valid lineup to go towards season total? Makes no sense to punish the opponent when he/she did nothing wrong.

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Why should the opposing owner get screwed by only accumulating 1 point? Why not let that team keep the points scored with the valid lineup to go towards season total? Makes no sense to punish the opponent when he/she did nothing wrong.

to keep pressure on for all involved ... no freebies - accountability is key.

since we've implemented this about a decade ago we've had one instance of it playing out, and that deadbeat was summarily dismissed. 

we are a long standing (18 seasons) league, with 9 original members still involved from the initial 12 ... we stay on top of each other in these instances, and are all aware of the consequences- as i said, only carried out once ... it's a mighty deterrent, and we all know the score.