NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Willson Contreras 2019 Outlook

dkrocka

Surprised, Not surprised there wasn't a thread on him. He was TERRIBLE last year.

Alas, last year is starting to look like an anomaly as he already has 5 home runs.

It looks as if last year humbled him.

On a side note, he needs to change his first name to Wilson, its an eyesore

• Like 1

Big thing to watch is his flyball rate. Usually it's only been around 30%, this year up to 45%.

Even when he was doing well in 2016-17, he was relying on an unsustainable HR/FB of around 25%. Last year it cratered to 9.3%. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but the big thing is just hitting the ball in the air more, because the power is there to be an elite catcher option.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Just hit another 2 bombs tonight. He must have been hurt last year. It's not the only explanation, but it's the most logical.

FTFY

He came into last year thinking he was the best catcher in the league. Him and Yadi gabbed at each other.

Proud = Complacency = Bad year

Career years often follow the worst year. This has to do with ego and hard work. This is what you will not find in a stat sheet... That 90% of the game is mental.

• Like 2

I didn't watch the game, but all the box scores show he hit one homer yesterday. Not two. I don't understand your edit of my post.

Do you have any data to support the career years following a worst year? I'd be interested in seeing that. It might offer slight predictive value moving from year to year if that checks out.

33 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I didn't watch the game, but all the box scores show he hit one homer yesterday. Not two. I don't understand your edit of my post.

Do you have any data to support the career years following a worst year? I'd be interested in seeing that. It might offer slight predictive value moving from year to year if that checks out.

OOps, that was April 12th :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

This guy is not getting that many at bats anymore.  I guess with all the defensive errors and the fact that he's in a slump at the plate, they've decided to go full on platoon at catcher.  Sucks because it looked like we had a steal.

It is a long season.

10 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

This guy is not getting that many at bats anymore.  I guess with all the defensive errors and the fact that he's in a slump at the plate, they've decided to go full on platoon at catcher.  Sucks because it looked like we had a steal.

Last year he had a first half wRC+ of 123 and a second half of 62. He really seemed to wear down as the season wore on. I’m guessing the Cubs noticed this as well and are going to try to spell him more often to keep him fresh in the second half. I don’t want to open Pandora’s box here, but I think he’s a good sell high candidate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Last year he had a first half wRC+ of 123 and a second half of 62. He really seemed to wear down as the season wore on. I’m guessing the Cubs noticed this as well and are going to try to spell him more often to keep him fresh in the second half. I don’t want to open Pandora’s box here, but I think he’s a good sell high candidate.

But wouldn’t it be a sell low right now?  Most owners would notice that he’s cooled down considerably since his torrid start.  

• 4 weeks later...