Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Michael Chavis 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

There's no way he's getting taken out of the lineup any time soon.  

 

Yah the Red Sox aren't dumb.  They'll find a spot for him especially if he's hitting.  Back in March, I heard former MLB Scout Bernie Pleskoff single him out when he was touring spring training.  Said Chavis reminded him of Jeff Bagwell.  Thats pretty high praise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Yah the Red Sox aren't dumb.  They'll find a spot for him especially if he's hitting.  Back in March, I heard former MLB Scout Bernie Pleskoff single him out when he was touring spring training.  Said Chavis reminded him of Jeff Bagwell.  Thats pretty high praise.

Yeah someone else in baseball -- I forget who right now -- said he reminded him a little of Manny Ramirez.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Lebanasty said:

There's no way this kid should be losing ABs to anyone for the foreseeable future.  It's time for the Sox to get what they can get for JBJ in trade (before word gets out that he's been a negative defender this year) or send him down since he still has options.

No team wants JBJ... trading JBJ has nothing to do with Michael Chavis 

Chavis plays the infield he is not and outfielder 

whoever thinks Chavis is going to lose ABs needs there head examine 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh for heaven's sake he isn't a negative defender.  Defensive stats are bogus.  He gets to balls almost no one else can catch and makes outs.  That isn't computed properly.  They have arguably the best defensive outfield in baseball with the three B's playing.  And if Jackie left they would have to find a good outfielder to replace him because JD Martinez in not going to be playing the outfield full time and no one else is a viable everyday outfielder on the team.  So Jackie leaving doesn't help Chavis.

Pedroia has to stop being the real albatross on the 40 man roster.  Getting hits at AA level isn't something to write home about.  And Tulo?  2 for 11 hitting .182.  Yeah good pick-up, Yankees ... not.   Also oranges and apples.  Tulo was suppose to "replace" an empty roster spot until Didi got back.  And he couldn't even do that.  Let alone replace someone the caliber of the early leader for Rookie of the Year.

Huh? Whatt... what does Tulowitski have to do with Chavis and JBJ . Nothing

Edited by shakestreet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

i know it SSS but what is realist projections for ROS? 

He wins AL Rookie of the Year, AL MVP, an AL Silver Slugger Award, obviously the Triple Crown, and a statue is made for him and put in the center of Boston.  Also, grown men begin posting videos on Youtube proposing marriage because he single handily won them their fantasy championships after hitting .340 with 60 HRs, 155 RBIs, and even a nice dozen SBs.  Things went so well for him this season, he even came in to pitch a blowout win for them, going 3 innings with 9 Ks on 27 pitches and records the save to finish off Game 7 of the World Series...

All hail Michael Chavis!

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

He wins AL Rookie of the Year, AL MVP, an AL Silver Slugger Award, obviously the Triple Crown, and a statue is made for him and put in the center of Boston.  Also, grown men begin posting videos on Youtube proposing marriage because he single handily won them their fantasy championships after hitting .340 with 60 HRs, 155 RBIs, and even a nice dozen SBs.  Things went so well for him this season, he even came in to pitch a blowout win for them, going 3 innings with 9 Ks on 27 pitches and records the save to finish off Game 7 of the World Series...

All hail Michael Chavis!

have a water bud

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cjw3 said:

have a water bud

I don't think I could have made my post any more obvious that it was a joke, short of making a giant sign animated gif that said so...

I own Chavis and am obviously loving it, so I was just having a little fun with it and also the tendency for players that are doing things like this to be considered one of the greatest players ever on here (exaggeration, but you get the point).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, disasterisk said:

 

The Red Sox aren't going to play inferior talent out of loyalty if they are sitting at 4th in their division. 

 

I don't believe so either, but is Pedroia the inferior talent? Or its it Bradley? Or is it Moreland? It really shouldn't matter to Chavis owners, as he's playing somewhere regardless.  But we do have to acknowledge Pedroia was productive last he played. He may not be that player anymore, but we also really don't know for sure what he is. If he can be healthy enough to take the field, I'm sure the Red Sox will give him some at bats to find out. That's fine for Chavis too, he'll likely just shift to 1B.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

 

Yankees signed Tulo because Gregorius is recovering from Tommy John and will miss all or most of the first half. 

 

Maybe if they signed him to platoon with Torres your example would be applicable here. 

 

Well the Yankees have Gleyber Torres, an excellent shortstop, and DJ LeMahieu for 2B. So they don't need to give any at bats to Troy Tulowitzki. But they do. And he got hurt like Tulo always does. Anyhow, I'm not sure what people are arguing here. I don't believe the Red Sox are just going to bench Pedroia. He'll play, if he can. Pedroia likely won't stay healhty. And he may or may not still be able to hit. But he'll play some if he can drag his body out there. But it matters not to Chavis who will play too. It just may not be always at 2B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

But we do have to acknowledge Pedroia was productive last he played.

He was?  When was that?  He is 35 and has lost some range at 2B and can't hit fully anymore without torquing his bad knee.  He looks terrible and has for some time.

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Well the Yankees have Gleyber Torres, an excellent shortstop, and DJ LeMahieu for 2B. So they don't need to give any at bats to Troy Tulowitzki. But they do. And he got hurt like Tulo always does. Anyhow, I'm not sure what people are arguing here. I don't believe the Red Sox are just going to bench Pedroia. He'll play, if he can. Pedroia likely won't stay healhty. And he may or may not still be able to hit. But he'll play some if he can drag his body out there. But it matters not to Chavis who will play too. It just may not be always at 2B.

It is the duty of Cora and the front office NOT to put him out there.  He looks terrible and takes up a slot on the active roster better served by someone else.

Also I don't know what you problem is with Bradley and Moreland.  Moreland hits for power and is an excellent 1B who can go on Upton-like major hitting streaks.  Bradley is useless with the bat but great in the field.  His skills have not diminished in the least in that regards.  They both contribute. 

Pedey can't.  He can't hit for power.  He can no long steal.  His range is diminished at 2B.  He would however make a great coach and I'm sure Boston would hire him immediately at the salary still owed him on his mega-contract if he would just do the right thing by the team and retire.  Noting is sadder than an athlete trying to hang on past his time and embarrassing himself and hurting his team in the process.  Everyone in New England loves the Dirt Dawg but they also want him to leave with some grace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm guessing Chavis has a hot start then cools off.  I doubt many teams expected him yet and they don't have a 'book' on how to pitch him just yet.  He's been on my bench for two weeks, he FINALLY has 2B eligibility and can go in my lineup - so that will surely cool him down as well as most everyone else understands 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, jahweedum said:

I'm guessing Chavis has a hot start then cools off.  I doubt many teams expected him yet and they don't have a 'book' on how to pitch him just yet.  He's been on my bench for two weeks, he FINALLY has 2B eligibility and can go in my lineup - so that will surely cool him down as well as most everyone else understands 😛

Everyone has a book on everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jahweedum said:

I'm guessing Chavis has a hot start then cools off.  I doubt many teams expected him yet and they don't have a 'book' on how to pitch him just yet.  He's been on my bench for two weeks, he FINALLY has 2B eligibility and can go in my lineup - so that will surely cool him down as well as most everyone else understands 😛

That's the spirit.... 😉

This isn't some out of nowhere fluke thing.  Obviously he's going to slow down at some point, but that doesn't mean he won't remain productive.  He was a highly enough regarded prospect as far as I know, so I expect him to continue to produce and even possible sneak in as a lock to be a keeper in keeper/dynasty leagues, especially with the 2B eligibility now.

Yes, I know you weren't entirely serious. 😀

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

 

Yankees signed Tulo because Gregorius is recovering from Tommy John and will miss all or most of the first half. 

 

Maybe if they signed him to platoon with Torres your example would be applicable here. 

they are both broken down and done.  That is what is applicable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Everyone has a book on everyone.

 

Yes, but eventually teams will figure something out and he'll go .200 with zero counting stats for a week or so. Maybe next week, maybe three weeks from now, maybe two months from now. It'll be partly due to normal regression (love having him on my teams, but he's not close to a .350 hitter) and partly due pitchers figuring something out. @Krambone will come back for a victory lap, and others will say maybe Pedroia should get more time. 

The first slump is something that I don't exactly look forward to, but it's something that I do believe is important for a player's development. How a player responds to that roadblock says a lot to me about who they are as a player. I happen to think he'll pass with flying colors en route to a potential ROY campaign (Vlad is still the favorite but Chavis has quickly forced himself into the discussion). Also, just an aside, he has the three longest Red Sox home runs this year, the longest being 459 feet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

sooo lets talk about trade value right now. who do we think we can get for chavis on a 1-1 trade?

Anybody you want.  He's the greatest there is and ever will be.

 

42 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

 

Yes, but eventually teams will figure something out and he'll go .200 with zero counting stats for a week or so. Maybe next week, maybe three weeks from now, maybe two months from now. It'll be partly due to normal regression (love having him on my teams, but he's not close to a .350 hitter) and partly due pitchers figuring something out. @Krambone will come back for a victory lap, and others will say maybe Pedroia should get more time. 

The first slump is something that I don't exactly look forward to, but it's something that I do believe is important for a player's development. How a player responds to that roadblock says a lot to me about who they are as a player. I happen to think he'll pass with flying colors en route to a potential ROY campaign (Vlad is still the favorite but Chavis has quickly forced himself into the discussion). Also, just an aside, he has the three longest Red Sox home runs this year, the longest being 459 feet.

Now back to the regularly scheduled meaningful analysis...  Hitting around the middle of their lineup should allow him to at least get an RBI even by accident during his inevitable slump.  You are definitely not wrong though.  It's coming.  It's just a matter of when, but like you, I expect him to bust right through it and continue to have a pretty nice season.  I really wouldn't be surprised if he finished inside the Top 10 at 2B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...