NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Chavis 2019 Outlook

Calling this kid a 'stud' is beyond ridiculous. He was pretty good for a short stretch and now he's been terrible for a short stretch. At this point, he's looking very mediocre. A little upside at best, and a whiffing machine at worst. He's barely rosterable. The small sample size has caught up and we now know what he is.

Edited by Roto4500
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just grabbed him.   What’s the lowdown? Is he a pitcher or a hitter?

I picked him up in two leagues without looking. Is he good?

For someone who doesn't sniff a top 10 list, I think he's a guy you're going to want to take a look at in fantasy. Great power, I believe he hit over 30 HR in 2017, last year he was suspended for PEDs

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Roto4500 said:

Calling this kid a 'stud' is beyond ridiculous. He was pretty good for a short stretch and now he's been terrible for a short stretch. At this point, he's looking very mediocre. A little upside at best, and a whiffing machine at worst. He's barely rosterable. The small sample size has caught up and we now know what he is.

23 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Good start yesterday... the team is sick of Nunez's errors and Ice Horse is manning 1B now until Mitchy is back then regains 2B...kids a stud and will contribute all year for both the Red Sox and your fantasy team... power will turn back on shortly...

I think the truth is somewhere in between these two statements. I’m hoping for .270 with 30 homers. It will just come down to will Boston let him play out the ups and downs all year? 

25 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I think the truth is somewhere in between these two statements. I’m hoping for .270 with 30 homers. It will just come down to will Boston let him play out the ups and downs all year? 

I think they will see it out because he is their present and future...good stuff right here as well...

50 minutes ago, Roto4500 said:

He was a great hitter in the minors 2017-2018, he didn't come out of nowhere. He was the Red Sox #1 prospect and former 1st round pick. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

giphy.gif

....There. Gave him the rain dance of good luck - he should be back to hitting bombs in no time. 

I hope so, only thing keeping him on my roster right now is he can play 1st 2nd 3rd. Been in a slump, I’m sure he will bust out eventually. He’s my next to drop though. 

The league adjusted to him a bit, now he has to return the favor. He's not a bum or fools gold, juat a young kid we should expect to have ups and downs.

Will also be interesting to see if his performance at the plate suffers at being moved around playing different positions. Some players handle it well, others and seems to impact their hitting. Hopefully he makes the needed adjustments and gets going either way.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, Roto4500 said:

He was the top prospect in the Red Sox organization for a reason. It takes a lot more than a month and change to make this kind of sweeping generalization on a player. A little upside at best? C'mon man. Wave seen the best he has to offer and recently we've been seeing what a slump looks like. And as a tto player he will be prone to cold stretches. This looks more like growing pains than anything else. Maybe he doesn't come out of it and this is who he is the rest of the year. Or maybe he bounces back. We don't know for sure, but we do know he's a 23 year old getting his first taste of MLB action. If you must drop because you're in a shallow league I wouldn't blame you, but you're missing a lot in your analysis if you think his ceiling is just a little upside. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

What happens with playing time with Moreland is back tomorrow? 

Chavis plays 1B vs LHP and some RHP and moves to 2B when they want moreland in the lineup vs RHP

at least thats what id think theyd do as nunez/holt are versatile to move off 2B on those days

Edited by kmoore1521
2 hours ago, DJSatane said:

regression is a *****

Dread it.  Run from it.  Regression arrives all the same.

He had a great start and now has been terrible for about as long.  Perfectly balanced.  As all things should be.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

He was the top prospect in the Red Sox organization for a reason.

You're right, and I completely agree...

...that reason being that the Red Sox have one of the all time terrible systems with no depth and no high end prospects

17 minutes ago, cs3 said:

You're right, and I completely agree...

...that reason being that the Red Sox have one of the all time terrible systems with no depth and no high end prospects

Well, yea. But he was still a top 100 prospect and would have still been at or near the top in any other organization. Also, his prospect rating was hinged more on his bat than his glove, i.e. not a Nicky Lopez type who's probably a better real life prospect than fantasy prospect. 

• Like 1

Is he being sent down yet or voted to the Lester game, my guess is he has very little time left to snap back. Been fun while it was happening.

9 hours ago, Krambone said:

Is he being sent down yet or voted to the Lester game, my guess is he has very little time left to snap back. Been fun while it was happening.

Again, he is NOT being sent down.  Ever.  Pedroia isn't going to be magically healed and pulled out of a crypt to replace him. 

What will probably happen is a day or two off when Moreland returns in the traditional clear your head move they use a lot with slumping players.  A day in the video room with no pressure on the kid for the game later type of thing.

Of course when that happens nervous Nellies will be posting in this thread that it is all over etc.  It isn't over. He IS an everyday player going through the first slump of his career.  Period.

Also even in the slump his glove plays big time.  He has been lights out playing both 2B and 1B while learning them on the fly.  Has been not just solid but very very good in the field.

And slumps, like fevers, break eventually.  All rookies go through these sets of slumps as the game of first year adjustments goes on.  Devers did last year where there were Chicken Little type declaring him dead too.  Alex Cora believes in running is younger players out and giving them the chance to adjust and figure things out and NOT stunting their growth by benching them other than a clear your head day on occasion.  (Devers credited that treatment with him last year to making this year possible for him btw).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, jackg1162 said:

His swing and misses look like somebody's dad at the batting cages.

Right? That’s been what’s made me almost drop him. I’ve watched him swing and miss on a bunch of pitches right in the heart of the plate. He’s looking at the left fielder before he’s finished his swing. 

• Haha 1
Just now, KanyePodcast said:

Right? That’s been what’s made me almost drop him. I’ve watched him swing and miss on a bunch of pitches right in the heart of the plate. He’s looking at the left fielder before he’s finished his swing. 

The fact that he looks like a drunk, wife beating midget with a white trash tattoo has me on the verge of dropping him as well.

• Haha 1

Wow !  I'm amazed at all the negative talk here not long after most were saying he would snap out of it. I almost traded B Lowe and German for him in an AL only. I own him in two other leagues and thought I would like to own in all three. So many of you were touting him as the ROY . Even putting him ahead of VGjr. I like this guy but if you look at what Lowe has done for TB he has a better shot as the top dog. I'm not jumping ship but appears most of you are. Or close. Crazy how you guys rant and raved about how he was the next best thing since sliced bread . Now you are talking about him possibly being sent back or dropping him .

2 hours ago, motown magic said:

Wow !  I'm amazed at all the negative talk here not long after most were saying he would snap out of it. I almost traded B Lowe and German for him in an AL only. I own him in two other leagues and thought I would like to own in all three. So many of you were touting him as the ROY . Even putting him ahead of VGjr. I like this guy but if you look at what Lowe has done for TB he has a better shot as the top dog. I'm not jumping ship but appears most of you are. Or close. Crazy how you guys rant and raved about how he was the next best thing since sliced bread . Now you are talking about him possibly being sent back or dropping him .

Just the football types over-reacting to the marathon that is baseball.  Chavis will be fine.

What will probably happen is a day or two off when Moreland returns in the traditional clear your head move they use a lot with slumping players.  A day in the video room with no pressure on the kid for the game later type of thing.

Of course when that happens nervous Nellies will be posting in this thread that it is all over etc. 

Starting.......now.

(The overreaction, that is.)

Edited by Mongeese
  • Haha 1