NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Chavis 2019 Outlook

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just grabbed him.   What’s the lowdown? Is he a pitcher or a hitter?

I picked him up in two leagues without looking. Is he good?

For someone who doesn't sniff a top 10 list, I think he's a guy you're going to want to take a look at in fantasy. Great power, I believe he hit over 30 HR in 2017, last year he was suspended for PEDs

Posted Images

22 hours ago, meh2 said:

This doesn't sound promising:

No it doesn't ... for now.  But Lin sucks with a bat and the Red Sox need to hit. 

They are going to HAVE to start Chavis sooner than later because Pedroia is NOT coming back soon no matter what he says.  He is in constant pain and looks horrible at the plate.  He can't run and his fielding range is down.  At the plate he has been trying to shoot everything to the opposite field because he can't take a full swing anymore because of that knee.  That is no exaggeration.  He stops his swing now before it would naturally complete turning it into a literal half swing.  The announcers were commenting on that aspect a lot recently.

Nunez was hitting south of the Mendoza line and his back keeps going in and out all the time.  Their best non-Chavis option was actually a healthy Brock Holt once his eye got better and he could see the spin on the baseball again which he hasn't been able to do all season.  And guess what was just announced today the 20th?

Brock Holt (eye) has suffered a setback and will stop his rehab assignment.

Advice: Holt is suffering from a scratched cornea. He was fitted with a new contact lens and sent out for a rehab assignment at Triple-A Pawtucket. The contact lens has apparently not been effective and his rehab stint will pause for now. The Red Sox could really use Holt in their lineup now that Dustin Pedroia (knee) and Eduardo Nunez (back) are on the injured list as well.

More: Pete Abraham on Twitter

They either play with Lin forever at 2B and end up with a .100 average hitter in the line-up, trade for someone or play Chavis there.   I know the quote above -- "maybe some second after they work with him" means they are having him out there taking hours of fielding practice right now but they are going to have to throw him in sooner than later because he is their best option or at least the only viable option right now. 

I mean they did play C Christian Vasquez at 2B one day they were so desperate but that means Sandy Leone and his .050 batting average in the game as catcher which only works if Chris Sale is back pitching as Chris Sale and they can win games 1-0.

And yes Brad Miller is on waivers but that is going from the frying pan into the fire for 2B fill-ins.

And I know that every day Chavis isn't in the line-up the pool of circling sharks known as the Boston sports media are going to be cornering Cora on why he isn't in the line-up.  They, as well as the fans, know exactly who Chavis is and this is a big "play the promising prospect" town.  Cora will be under a lot of pressure not to start running him out there soon.  The team needs a spark and Lin and Leone are not it.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’m not feeling optimistic here. I expect he gets a couple starts against lefties and then gets sent down when the old guy with a balky knee gets back.

Pedroia won't be coming back any time soon.  He has a hard time walking across a wooden floor right now he told Jerry Remy.  Granted Pedey would then try and crawl across same but cooler heads have to keep him off the active roster.

When he was playing earlier he could NOT go two games at 2B in a row.  Period.  He was freaking DH-ing with his new half swing only because he can no longer take a normal swing while Bad Back Nunez fumbling around at 2B most games.  At this point Pedroia can't play in the field anymore.  He can't swing the bat any more.  He can't get healthy anymore and admitted it was a major mistake having experimental surgery that ended up failing in the off season.  He can't be let back on the active roster especially on a team that has crashed and burned out of the gate this season.

The only way he can help the team right now is to mentor Chavis.

Yet another potential job opening with Moreland's balky back. Chavis has played primarily 3B and 1B in his career. How many more opportunities can arise for Chavis to get some playing time?

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, avatoot said:

Yet another potential job opening with Moreland's balky back. Chavis has played primarily 3B and 1B in his career. How many more opportunities can arise for Chavis to get some playing time?

I don’t see how Chavis isn’t in the lineup tomorrow.

11 hours ago, avatoot said:

Moreland said he will be fine for today and if he isn't well Steve Pearce also plays 1B.  I wish they would try him at 2B right away but they might give Devers off a day first and let him play the field a game at his natural position first. 

With the artificial turf at TB being hard on the feet for teams used to natural grass and this being a day game after a night game I think a couple of regulars could be sitting today so yeah I'm checking line-ups before 1 pm to see if Chavis finally gets a start today somewhere.

His bomb in the second game was a no doubter with crazy exit velo 

I watched his first two at bats in the first game today. Going up against one of the best pitchers in the AL this year so far (Boyd)

First pitch first AB- crushed it dead center thought it was gone, warning track out 

Second ab he had a 7 or 8 pitch battle that ended in a ground out. One of the pitches also he took deep and was just barely foul, thought it was gone on impact.

Could have easily had multiple homers today. His power is quite legit. 

• Like 2
On 4/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, SkinsNoles21 said:

I picked him up in two leagues without looking. Is he good?

On 4/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, taobball said:

This guy. This guy gets it. 

Btw. Just a reminder. THIS. This this this. ALWAYS pick up these kinds of players no matter what. Values are highly variable. It's pure risk / reward. Chavis' value at the call was higher than before and he could've been had for free in numerous leagues. Now his value is even higher. You could turn him for a profit after two days in some leagues to an owner trying to dive on some upside. 

31 minutes ago, taobball said:

Btw. Just a reminder. THIS. This this this. ALWAYS pick up these kinds of players no matter what. Values are highly variable. It's pure risk / reward. Chavis' value at the call was higher than before and he could've been had for free in numerous leagues. Now his value is even higher. You could turn him for a profit after two days in some leagues to an owner trying to dive on some upside. 

I completely agree.  Now it's an interesting situation with Chavis.  Brock Holt was scheduled for BP today, do you think they really give Brock the job back when he returns?  If Chavis continues to hit when given his AB's you would imagine they would ride with him over Brock.  

So is Chavis someone we should attempting to flip before he has PT concerns or is he a hold?  I personally am leaning towards the hold side right now given the upside of his position eligibility and being in the Red Sox lineup.  Unless someone offers up something that is too good to refuse.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:00 PM, Howie said:

He’s fat

He is 5' 10".  Stocky but very VERY muscular.  Barrel chested.  No fat belly hanging over his belt off this guy.

15 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

I completely agree.  Now it's an interesting situation with Chavis.  Brock Holt was scheduled for BP today, do you think they really give Brock the job back when he returns?  If Chavis continues to hit when given his AB's you would imagine they would ride with him over Brock.

My Chavis Tome:  

Last I "saw" (can't help myself) Holt is still having problems with his eyesight.  Nunez is also out.  And of course so is Pedroia.  Anyway Lin should be sent down first, not Chavis. 

Chavis played 3B in the first game of the double header yesterday but played 2B in the last.  He is also starting at 2B today.  That makes 3 starts at 2B already.  They are playing him with confidence there.  Cora said he only expects him to make the average plays there and won't put any extra pressure on him.  Meanwhile he works out there everyday of course.

If Holt can get back he can play 2B as good as Nunez could (Nunez has lost some range at 2B) giving Chavis defensive protection and making keeping Chavis a greater option so Holt isn't the threat from my pov. 

But Eduardo Nunez?  Nunez was more the preferred 3B replacement over Holt.  But Chavis trumps Nunez at 3B since he already fields well there.  And Holt can also play the OF and 1B and basically everywhere except catcher.  So I think Nunez and his bad back and south of the Mendoza line average and his lack of range these days at 2B and only this year remaining on his contract may be the odd man out at least long term.

Short term it is day to day.  I could see them extending Nunez's stay on the DL.  And I certainly HOPE they extend Pedroia's like forever.  Pedroia is the white elephant in the room no one knows what to do with in the front office.  He actually has earned the dreaded vet respect and has the huge contract that runs forever but he is a total black hole in the line-up.  One that also features the black hole bats of Sandy Leone and JBJ.  But at least these two can still field their position and extremely well at that.

(In a perfect world I wish Pedey would retire and become like the Sox' full time fielding coach with his salary transferred to that position.  He is working full time with Devers right now mentoring him and I think it would be great if he mentors Chavis as well without the weird feeling that he is mentoring his successor.  I just don't think he can give up the dream of returning as a player though almost everyone in New England inside and outside the organization knows it is basically over.  But people in the Sox organization have to walk around on egg shells and not say it aloud).

An outlier who may be in trouble longer term is Steve Pearce who is off to a terrible start.  Holt can also back-up 1B like I said but Pearce is a home town hero after last year's run after he was picked up and they won't consider getting rid of him in the short term.  But he is also 36 on a one year contract and some fake DL time might not be out of the question.

Right now Chavis stays.  When it gets crowded he could be sent down again but he would be first up at the first injury.  But this is the club that gave Devers a chance and they have stuck with him and WILL stick with him.  He is up forever.  I could see a chance they will do their best to stick with Chavis especially if Chavis continues to seize the moment.  Their offense has been struggling and he has come in like the spark they needed.  He lengthens their line-up over all other options at 2B.

• Like 2

3 bb and a hbp tonight. Wasn't much of a walker in the minors for a power hitter, sometimes that develops in the majors for power hitters. Would go from a good to great prospect in obp leagues if he can get that elusive double digit walk rate.

Edited by brockpapersizer