Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Bills signed T.J. Yeldon to a two-year contract.

Yeldon joins a backfield which already features LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, and a quarterback who rushed for 79 yards per game over his final six last season. On paper, then, it is tough to see more than a handful of touches per game for the former Jaguar. That said, Gore is the oldest running back in the league, McCoy is also near the top of that list and could always be traded, and the Bills want to be one of the most run-heavy teams in the league. It would not be a shock if Yeldon falls into a decent role at some point this season.

 

 

Playing behind McCoy and Gore is not ideal. He is not draftable but maybe carves out a role by the end of the season. Dissapointing from a fantasy standpoint would be an understatement. Even going to Arizona to back up David Johnson would have been better than going to Buffalo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I mentioned the accuracy issues in my post.  That's a real concern, and why I would have probably not drafted him if I was an NFL GM.  But the accuracy issues mean he will never be a guy who com

i agree with @devaster (above) that we can't just assume buffalo is grabbing an RB to start (i.e. early round). their needs are many (every?), though this coming draft will tell much. plenty of RB dep

Noted, ty.

29 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Bills signed T.J. Yeldon to a two-year contract.

Yeldon joins a backfield which already features LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, and a quarterback who rushed for 79 yards per game over his final six last season. On paper, then, it is tough to see more than a handful of touches per game for the former Jaguar. That said, Gore is the oldest running back in the league, McCoy is also near the top of that list and could always be traded, and the Bills want to be one of the most run-heavy teams in the league. It would not be a shock if Yeldon falls into a decent role at some point this season.

 

 

Playing behind McCoy and Gore is not ideal. He is not draftable but maybe carves out a role by the end of the season. Dissapointing from a fantasy standpoint would be an understatement. Even going to Arizona to back up David Johnson would have been better than going to Buffalo.

ugh. the rotoworld blurb is most likely written by a yeldon owner: gore might be elderly, might be over the RB hump, but no one is telling gore this and he's still useful. shady's trade is possible, i suppose, but for the 2.6 million it costs to keep him, might just be feasible to hold on and let his contract expire at season's end. unfortunate that we won't see yeldon get a shot soon.

i'd suggest yeldon is a buy in dynasty, because he should be leading this run-heavy backfield in 2020 (late 2019 is overly hopeful imo). in redraft, yeldon is only a get for keeper leagues, and even here you need 1) bench space and 2) patience.

mr-poopybutthole-gif.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

ugh. the rotoworld blurb is most likely written by a yeldon owner: gore might be elderly, might be over the RB hump, but no one is telling gore this and he's still useful. shady's trade is possible, i suppose, but for the 2.6 million it costs to keep him, might just be feasible to hold on and let his contract expire at season's end. unfortunate that we won't see yeldon get a shot soon.

i'd suggest yeldon is a buy in dynasty, because he should be leading this run-heavy backfield in 2020 (late 2019 is overly hopeful imo). in redraft, yeldon is only a get for keeper leagues, and even here you need 1) bench space and 2) patience.

 

Why would Yeldon be leading the backfield in 2020 when the incoming rookie class is supposed to be generational at that position?

 

This spot is horrendous for Yeldon. A running QB who doesn't throw to RBs on a team where he's at best #3 for carries, right before BUF drafts their RB of the future in 2020. Hard pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Tj Yeldon 2019 Outlook
4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

Why would Yeldon be leading the backfield in 2020 when the incoming rookie class is supposed to be generational at that position?

 

This spot is horrendous for Yeldon. A running QB who doesn't throw to RBs on a team where he's at best #3 for carries, right before BUF drafts their RB of the future in 2020. Hard pass.

What makes you think the Bills are going to invest in their RB of the future with a high pick?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

Why would Yeldon be leading the backfield in 2020 when the incoming rookie class is supposed to be generational at that position?

 

This spot is horrendous for Yeldon. A running QB who doesn't throw to RBs on a team where he's at best #3 for carries, right before BUF drafts their RB of the future in 2020. Hard pass.

i agree with @devaster (above) that we can't just assume buffalo is grabbing an RB to start (i.e. early round). their needs are many (every?), though this coming draft will tell much. plenty of RB depth in the 2020 draft class, so it is certainly possible they land an RB somewhere along the 2020 draft. i agree with your post's implication too, that it would take a perfect storm of injuries to place yeldon in the driver's seat, and that right now, in september week 1, it's "horrendous" for yeldon.

but maybe i didn't make my post clear enough: i say yeldon is  "buy" in dynasty because he will be dirt cheap. we might even see him dropped in some dynasty leagues with shallow benches. i would absolutely pick him up. and, i say he's a get in keeper leagues with deep benches because of the price: you are looking at a last round pick (like round 20), and i like the kid's talent enough to buy at that price, especially in keeper leagues that cost you the round of the player.  while i don't think he's ever shown us that pick 36 (overall) value, he has shown 1) flashes of his crimson tide presence, and 2) solid hands and capability of being a 3-down back.

yes, it's true that gore will be with the bills for the next 7 or 8 years, and that shady may have an outstanding season. but i'll add this to my first post: yeldon might be an exceptional daily fantasy play in certain games (when gore / shady are dinged up), and the script promises a run-heavy approach. and, if he's on your bench for these games, he should return that round 20 value and help you to win that week.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devaster said:

What makes you think the Bills are going to invest in their RB of the future with a high pick?

 

They won't need a high pick next year to get a really good RB. That's the point...the 2020 RB class is loaded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

 

They won't need a high pick next year to get a really good RB. That's the point...the 2020 RB class is loaded.

They said the same thing about the 2018 QB class...yet 2017 & 2019 might end up better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to T. J. Yeldon 2019 Outlook

Its probably a "we have cap space, so why not?" move for Buffalo- maybe with an eye on 2020 more than anything.   I dont see him starting even if McCoy and Gore both are not re-signed, but he's at least maybe a good guy to split carries with a rookie then.   

Draft wise?  No thanks.  He's only got a shot to put up a decent week or two this year if there are injuries.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see this as such a bad spot for him.  What year is this, 2012?

Gore is closer to 40 than 30, and McCoy is coming off a lousy year.  I think he'll likely bounce back but that is not assured.  The man has a lot of mileage and is on the wrong side of 30 - usually not a good spot to be for an RB.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Yeldon get ample playing time and agree he's not a bad gamble for a cheap price.  And this is probably why Beane signed him - the other two guys are hardly sure things (at this stage in their careers).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gents, a quick word: do not draft any Bills RBs.  Allen will not allow them to approach reliable fantasy-starter status.  He doesn’t check down and he tucks and runs more often than anyone - including Jackson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Gents, a quick word: do not draft any Bills RBs.  Allen will not allow them to approach reliable fantasy-starter status.  He doesn’t check down and he tucks and runs more often than anyone - including Jackson.

 

Noted, ty.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it possible (likely) that in year 2 he improves and is a better QB?  They threw him in last year when he wasn't ready and he actually did some nice things.  With a year under his belt, more coaching and practicing, a better O-line, plus more weapons (hopefully one of the top TE's in the draft coming his way too), I'd expect Allen to take a pretty big step forward.  I mean, if he doesn't it would be a shock.  Accuracy is the big concern and he'll never be a 70% completion guy, but getting him up to the high 50's should make for a solid QB if he can move forward in all facets of his game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dream On said:

Isn't it possible (likely) that in year 2 he improves and is a better QB?  They threw him in last year when he wasn't ready and he actually did some nice things.  With a year under his belt, more coaching and practicing, a better O-line, plus more weapons (hopefully one of the top TE's in the draft coming his way too), I'd expect Allen to take a pretty big step forward.  I mean, if he doesn't it would be a shock.  Accuracy is the big concern and he'll never be a 70% completion guy, but getting him up to the high 50's should make for a solid QB if he can move forward in all facets of his game.

I think your username is very well chosen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dream On said:

Care to argue why he won't take a step forward and will always be the same QB he was in his rookie year?

I think it really comes down to an appalling lack of accuracy - I posted a lengthy explanation of his inaccuracy in his player outlook thread.  I mean, anything is possible, and I don’t think he can get worse, but I don’t see any cause for optimism at this particular moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dream On said:

Isn't it possible (likely) that in year 2 he improves and is a better QB?  They threw him in last year when he wasn't ready and he actually did some nice things.  With a year under his belt, more coaching and practicing, a better O-line, plus more weapons (hopefully one of the top TE's in the draft coming his way too), I'd expect Allen to take a pretty big step forward.  I mean, if he doesn't it would be a shock.  Accuracy is the big concern and he'll never be a 70% completion guy, but getting him up to the high 50's should make for a solid QB if he can move forward in all facets of his game.

 

Running QBs are bad at throwing to RBs. Even a step up from Allen won't help Yeldon as a receiver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dream On said:

Isn't it possible (likely) that in year 2 he improves and is a better QB?  They threw him in last year when he wasn't ready and he actually did some nice things.  With a year under his belt, more coaching and practicing, a better O-line, plus more weapons (hopefully one of the top TE's in the draft coming his way too), I'd expect Allen to take a pretty big step forward.  I mean, if he doesn't it would be a shock.  Accuracy is the big concern and he'll never be a 70% completion guy, but getting him up to the high 50's should make for a solid QB if he can move forward in all facets of his game.

If he improves, it will be in the intermediate to deep balls and better timing his scrambles. He benefits the runner at RB with his improvements, not the pass catcher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dream On said:

Care to argue why he won't take a step forward and will always be the same QB he was in his rookie year?

Besides history supporting the notion that most QB's fail and never improve much, there have been some good arguments presented in the Allen thread.

I also don't think any improvement from Allen, if he does improve, helps any of the Bills RB's to catch more balls. Allen's first instinct is to run and that likely won't change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

CMC says hi.

 

CMC is a WR who can run very well. And he's a stud independent of his QB as I told you all 2 years ago when everyone was laughably saying that Fournette was better than him while I was comping his size and speed to Walter Payton -- no one is laughing anymore, btw.

Cue @dashoe mocking him when he kept saying "he's a Pac-10 running back!". 

 

CMC is a true generational talent who transcends any QB. Yeldon is definitely not that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

CMC is a WR who can run very well. And he's a stud independent of his QB as I told you all 2 years ago when everyone was laughably saying that Fournette was better than him while I was comping his size and speed to Walter Payton -- no one is laughing anymore, btw.

Cue @dashoe mocking him when he kept saying "he's a Pac-10 running back!". 

 

CMC is a true generational talent who transcends any QB. Yeldon is definitely not that.

 

 

Cue the music of  the old I told you all 2yrs ago but funny how you disappeared from the CMC forum after his first few games as  a rookie because he didnt live up to his draft hype 😂

For a generational talent he wasnt very spectacular in year 1  whereas  significantly lesser drafted rb's not considered generational talents such as Hunt+kamara  who broke records.
Did you tell everyone to draft Hunt+Kamara and call them generational talents too?  No. You didn't 🤫

Since you want to pat yourself on the bum. . .I think my 2017 draft was superior to the guy who grabbed CMC in the 2nd round where i took Gurley  and then added Hunt +Hyde and picked up kamara on the waivers. CMC wasnt on very many championship teams that year. 🤔

You can also check the archives on what i said. I stated CMC was drafted in the wrong system and situation for the panthers vs fournette because Fournette was in a  better situation with an offense built around him. CMC was plugged into a  system that wasnt built to highlight his talent . .  .and I was correct.

This is fantasy football 2019 no one cares about your 2017 player predictions or the fact you said the NYG would win 9 games in 2018. . .🤭

He is still a Pac-10 running back. . 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dashoe said:

 

Cue the music of  the old I told you all 2yrs ago but funny how you disappeared from the CMC forum after his first few games as  a rookie because he didnt live up to his draft hype 😂

For a generational talent he wasnt very spectacular in year 1  whereas  significantly lesser drafted rb's not considered generational talents such as Hunt+kamara  who broke records.
Did you tell everyone to draft Hunt+Kamara and call them generational talents too?  No. You didn't 🤫

Since you want to pat yourself on the bum. . .I think my 2017 draft was superior to the guy who grabbed CMC in the 2nd round where i took Gurley  and then added Hunt +Hyde and picked up kamara on the waivers. CMC wasnt on very many championship teams that year. 🤔

You can also check the archives on what i said. I stated CMC was drafted in the wrong system and situation for the panthers vs fournette because Fournette was in a  better situation with an offense built around him. CMC was plugged into a  system that wasnt built to highlight his talent . .  .and I was correct.

This is fantasy football 2019 no one cares about your 2017 player predictions or the fact you said the NYG would win 9 games in 2018. . .🤭

He is still a Pac-10 running back. . 🤣

 

I didn't disappear...look back at that thread.  I was all in from day one, and CMC is the exception, not the rule. Yeldon will suffer as a receiver in BUF because of his QB. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...