NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Bassitt 2019 Outlook

I gave him a brief tout in the pickup/stream thread last week, so thought I'd get this going after a solid initial start for him last night (5IP 2H 0R 4BB 7K and W)

30 yrs old and has bounced from pen and rotation in-between injuries, still his shown to be effective in these stints (career 3.77 ERA) and in 47+ IP last year (7 starts) he gave 40 hits with 41 Ks and a 3.02 ERA. But in checking out the metrics behind his performance last night I was surprised and encouraged. Yes the command was so/so but it appears he was not exactly missing by much. Not sure if he switched up his regime in off-season (driveline or something) but he looked different/better to me.

-FB (four seamer) averaged 94 MPH with a ton of vertical movement to it, busting in on the hands of RH and off the barrel of LH, threw 14 of them and got 3 whiffs

-SI (sinker) was his main FB and sat a little less at over 92 MPH, also had good dart action to it. Threw 37, 23 for strikes--10 swings and a whiff

-FC (cutter) was brought out 4 times, sat 89 MPH with good dive and dart actions, 1 whiff but this pitch might have promise?

-SL was main secondary, threw 22 of them at 88 MPH and even popped 93 a few times with it! Very nice run action on it and got 4 whiffs and much soft contact

-CU was key too, threw 16 of them at great pace change of 70 MPH, great 12-6 horizontal movement on it too,really plays up given his vert actions on other stuff, 50% strike rate/2 whiffs

He's def a deeper dive, but there seems to be a little something here? Worth monitoring at least imo. He's got some stuff and deep enough repertoire, good park too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the L today v CIN, was a struggle early, but it hard to take away too many negatives from line: 7.2 IP 7H 3ER 1BB 9K A look at the 5 pitch mix today: FB- sat 94+ again, very good vertic

The hound dogger today: FB- (4 seam) was darting like crazy, sat 94.5 MPH and touched 97 plenty, threw 30--21 strikes with 15 swings and 7 whiffs! SI- the sinker was also nasty with movement

Came away quite impressed with his stuff again last night, even if the results were so-so: FB- was a tick up and sat 94.5 MPH--popped 97 a few times, same great vertical actions, threw 24--18 for

Have only watched a bit of his start, he came out throwing one fastball that was basically a BP pitch at 91mph and flat, but then another one (the 4-seamer?) that had a lot of tailing action at 94mph....

He seems to use all his pitches, all around the zone, to keep guys guessing. Occasionally they look good, occasionally they look flat. But it's keeping the Jays bamboozled... which isn't too hard to do 😞

Luckily he gets to face more crummy teams coming up:

@PIT
vs CLE
@DET
@CLE
vs LAA, but also vs HOU same week...

Could be worth a shot in deep leagues.

13 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any thoughts on him ROS

If you're asking in terms of your signature league settings you should add immediately. I only play in a standard 12-teamer and have a tinge of regret dropping him (this AM before he even played) for the next streamer. 

It's a total coin flip if he continues to perform this way - I think a long-term projection is pure crystal-ballism. He has a mediocre matchup next in about a week @PIT. His doing well @TOR is not a surprise - the PIT matchup will be more instructive imo.

Decided to go back and take a peak at some of the stuff behind his awfully impressive start at TOR last Sunday:

FB- still was up in range with first start, averaged 93.5 MPH, great amount of vert actions yet too, threw 30--17 strikes with 14 swings and 4 whiffs

SI- threw 34 sinkers at almost 93 MPH, great darting movement to it, 24 strikes (70+% rate) with 17 swings and 3 whiffs

CU- the curve was a weapon again, threw 14 and sat 69 MPH (nice), 10 strikes with 7 swings and 4 whiffs, beautiful 12-6 shape too!

SL- threw 13--9 strikes with 8 swings and 3 whiffs, very firm at 88 MPH and sweet dive and dart actions to the pitch

CH- did not throw any last start and then brought out 13 here--10 strikes with 8 swings with 3 whiffs, sat around 84 MPH, very nice vert action on the offering too.

I might be getting out too far in front of things but when taking in this whole arsenal, velo ranges and esp the very stout movements to the entire array here (both vertically and horizontally) I fully believe there is plenty to get excited about. I don't have any idea if he reworked his stuff or what, but something points to a significant change. I would highly recommend speculating if you are needing a pitcher, certainly it could all fall apart but I really like this repertoire he is displaying and home park always will aide too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Came away quite impressed with his stuff again last night, even if the results were so-so:

FB- was a tick up and sat 94.5 MPH--popped 97 a few times, same great vertical actions, threw 24--18 for strikes with 14 swings and 3 whiffs

SI- sinker was on point, great vertical break, threw 34--23 strikes with 13 swings and 3 whiffs

CU- great shape per usual with sweeping horizontal movement, 69.9 MPH, threw 14--7 strikes with 6 swings and 2 whiffs

SL- very firm at 89+MPH, very good movements, threw 14--11 strikes with 9 swings and a whiff

CH- came in at 85 MPH, sweet vertical break, tossed 11--4 for strikes with 4 swings and a whiff

Josh Bell accounted for all of PIT runs against him yesterday (with 2 HR) otherwise gave up no other loud contact or XBH...I still believe with a legit 5 pitch mix, array of velo and esp movement/spin he appears to be harnessing that he can be a quite useful backend SP for fantasy purposes...lines up for a home start v CIN in a day game next week and then if he stays on schedule, a two step the following week @SEA and @DET...

• Like 5

Took the L today v CIN, was a struggle early, but it hard to take away too many negatives from line: 7.2 IP 7H 3ER 1BB 9K

A look at the 5 pitch mix today:

FB- sat 94+ again, very good vertical movement, threw 18--13 strikes with 10 swings and 2 whiffs

SI- very solid vertical actions, threw 29--24 strikes with 17 swings and 4 whiffs

CU- tons of horizontal whip on it, very complimentary to his arsenal, sat 69.9 as usual, tossed 12--8 strikes with 8 swings and 2 whiffs

FC- cutter was back in the bag, after not seeing it since his 1st start, it really could be a matter of the charting not knowing if it's a slider or cutter though...still it's a quality 4th or 5th pitch! He threw 11 today, averaged 88.5 MPH with very useful dive/dart to it, had 8 strikes with it--3 swings and 1 whiff

CH- only 4 today, sat 85 MPH with good vertical drag...

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Overlord said:

Streamed him today.  Against Cleveland next, streaming him again.

SIERRA and XFIP say it ain't a fluke and I like the home park.  

i have his next start @det no?

8 minutes ago, herschel said:

i have his next start @det no?

It's shifted some, at least according to CBS. IF they skip the 5th man and keep him on schedule he could Tues @ SEA...though that is not what is currently showing, they have him going at DET as you said...he'd then likely line-up for 2 the following week at CLE and then home v SEA. I think the match-ups all play pretty well regardless.

5 minutes ago, clarkevii said:

This guy has zero hype and now sports a sub-2 ERA

Is he real or is he a "Toby" like Pitcherlist wants us to believe

Damn their acronyms and nicknames can get so annoying. 

Good research in this thread, convinced me to pick up earlier and watched some of the start today. Love the tailing action on his stuff. Painting the corners and the movement can really mess with hitters. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Zeezee said:

Good research in this thread, convinced me to pick up earlier and watched some of the start today. Love the tailing action on his stuff. Painting the corners and the movement can really mess with hitters. 

Those are so corny

1 hour ago, Zeezee said:

Agreed. Used Bassitt as a streamer but he's graduated after recent outings. Any pitcher showing a pulse is worth rostering this season.

The hound dogger today:

FB- (4 seam) was darting like crazy, sat 94.5 MPH and touched 97 plenty, threw 30--21 strikes with 15 swings and 7 whiffs!

SI- the sinker was also nasty with movement, averaged 93.4 MPH, dealt 39--30 strikes with 18 swings

FC- (cutter) was the classification today but often his hard SL at 89 MPH, tossed 14--8 strikes with 6 swings and 2 whiffs, great dive and dart to it

CU- only 11 today, very gnarly horizontal actions, had 5 strikes with 5 swings on it, little firmer than usual at 71.4 MPH

CH- just 3 (86 MPH) with great drop to it, just might not had a need for it today (or feel with it) but it's been a weapon in other outing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
On 5/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

The hound dogger today:

FB- (4 seam) was darting like crazy, sat 94.5 MPH and touched 97 plenty, threw 30--21 strikes with 15 swings and 7 whiffs!

SI- the sinker was also nasty with movement, averaged 93.4 MPH, dealt 39--30 strikes with 18 swings

FC- (cutter) was the classification today but often his hard SL at 89 MPH, tossed 14--8 strikes with 6 swings and 2 whiffs, great dive and dart to it

CU- only 11 today, very gnarly horizontal actions, had 5 strikes with 5 swings on it, little firmer than usual at 71.4 MPH

CH- just 3 (86 MPH) with great drop to it, just might not had a need for it today (or feel with it) but it's been a weapon in other outing

what went wrong tonight?