NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Bassitt 2019 Outlook

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the L today v CIN, was a struggle early, but it hard to take away too many negatives from line: 7.2 IP 7H 3ER 1BB 9K A look at the 5 pitch mix today: FB- sat 94+ again, very good vertic

The hound dogger today: FB- (4 seam) was darting like crazy, sat 94.5 MPH and touched 97 plenty, threw 30--21 strikes with 15 swings and 7 whiffs! SI- the sinker was also nasty with movement

Came away quite impressed with his stuff again last night, even if the results were so-so: FB- was a tick up and sat 94.5 MPH--popped 97 a few times, same great vertical actions, threw 24--18 for

13 hours ago, herschel said:

what went wrong tonight?

6 walks, lack of control apparently.  If he didn't walk all those batters he would have had a decent outing.  Gave up 2 solo shots and would've probably been in position for win if he didn't run his pitch count up with his erratic control.

Edited by JetsAwesome

I'll dive in deeper later, but his stuff looked crisp--just had a lot of movement like usual and had difficulty with command of it...ump did him and Bauer absolutely no favors either

4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I'll dive in deeper later, but his stuff looked crisp--just had a lot of movement like usual and had difficulty with command of it...ump did him and Bauer absolutely no favors either

Yeah I read somewhere that the ump was squeezing the strike zone.  Kind of coincidental that both SP's appeared to have trouble with walks, you know?

1 hour ago, JetsAwesome said:

Yeah I read somewhere that the ump was squeezing the strike zone.  Kind of coincidental that both SP's appeared to have trouble with walks, you know?

I watched the game. Ump squeezed on some low pitches which Bassitt has gotten for strikes previously and that put him behind the count but he was also pretty far off. Bauer generally wasn't close. He has zero control over his slider/cutter at the moment and couldn't throw them for strikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, motown magic said:

He’s been really good . They all have  bad games . Just ask Sale and Bauer . 

He’s had a couple bad games in a row....probably dropping in 12 team league for streamer du jour.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, motown magic said:

but what did he do before that ? If you have Bauer are you dropping because he has had four bad games in a row?

no but that's not a fair equivalent , Bauer has a longer track record of sustained success.  This is the first time Bassitt has been good and he's been bad against two middling/mediocre offenses and gets Houston next. 

12 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Thoughts on him ROS..just dropped in my 13 team roto league and thinking about using a waiver on him, but honestly don’t know a lot about him 

He's a definite drop candidate . No track record of sustained success, just faced two middling offenses and struggled, had problems with location in both starts and gets Houston next.  Definitely on the roster bubble.

Edited by JetsAwesome

Bit of a disappointing double dip this week --even if it resulted in a W and QS (v HOU yesterday)...chart still shows he can be a viable back-end rotation piece (or streamer depending on league size) moving forward imo:

FB- averaged 94 MPH with multiple 97+ pops, command just was not there though, threw 30--19 strikes with 16 swings, still had nice vert break

SI- sat 93 MPH and commanded it much better than FB, tossed 24--19 strikes with 14 swings and 2 whiffs

FC- cutter was at 89 MPH, sharp action and command, threw 22--16 for strikes with 14 swings and a whiff

CU- love this offering, averaged 70 MPH with gross sweeping movement, spun up 21--10 strikes with 9 swings and 2 whiffs

CH- only 3 at 85 MPH, 1 strikes with a cut on it...needs more of this pitch imo

I see some bad sequencing here and plenty of an arsenal to continue being a useful MLB/fantasy starter...seems like they were sitting on his harder stuff. I caught about 3 innings and it still passed the eye test. Some rough d behind him and soft contact...it could have been better but he continues to show a 4 to 5 legit pitch mix. Some regression was prob unavoidable but that might be due to swing back the other way now too? Will be a tough test coming up though, I am seeing @TEX day game next sat, followed by @ TB and then again with TB at home the next week.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Bit of a disappointing double dip this week --even if it resulted in a W and QS (v HOU yesterday)...chart still shows he can be a viable back-end rotation piece (or streamer depending on league size) moving forward imo:

FB- averaged 94 MPH with multiple 97+ pops, command just was not there though, threw 30--19 strikes with 16 swings, still had nice vert break

SI- sat 93 MPH and commanded it much better than FB, tossed 24--19 strikes with 14 swings and 2 whiffs

FC- cutter was at 89 MPH, sharp action and command, threw 22--16 for strikes with 14 swings and a whiff

CU- love this offering, averaged 70 MPH with gross sweeping movement, spun up 21--10 strikes with 9 swings and 2 whiffs

CH- only 3 at 85 MPH, 1 strikes with a cut on it...needs more of this pitch imo

I see some bad sequencing here and plenty of an arsenal to continue being a useful MLB/fantasy starter...seems like they were sitting on his harder stuff. I caught about 3 innings and it still passed the eye test. Some rough d behind him and soft contact...it could have been better but he continues to show a 4 to 5 legit pitch mix. Some regression was prob unavoidable but that might be due to swing back the other way now too? Will be a tough test coming up though, I am seeing @TEX day game next sat, followed by @ TB and then again with TB at home the next week.

Great breakdown(especially on pitch sequencing) - you know he's getting lit up in at least one of those starts.

• 3 weeks later...

He had a no-hitter through 5 innings today vs. Baltimore. 

Got himself into trouble in the 6th as his pitch count rose. His velocity was still sitting at 95 but his control started to go. Gave up a run and left with 2 outs and the bases loaded. Reliever walked home the next guy and the next guy ended the inning.

Overall, he looked pretty good. Worked deep into counts often, and the issue with walks is gonna be a concern until it’s not. 

• Like 1

Yeah watching him was more impressive than the actual line, chart read as such too:

FB- sat a hair under 95 MPH, good vert action, command was meh with 48% strike rate on 25 tossed, but 9 swings with 4 whiffs

SI- had nice tumble and sat about 94 MPH, better command with it, threw 41--27 strikes and 18 swings with 2 whiffs, lots of off-barrel contact

SL- he continues to up the usage and I want even more really, it's quality at 88 MPH with good vert and horizontal actions to it, threw 15--12 strikes with 10 cuts and 3 whiffs

CU- important for him, really nice sweep actions at 70 MPH, spun up 13--7 strikes with 7 hacks and 3 whiffs

CH- decent pitch for him, splits the velo spectrum nicely at 86 MPH, popped in 5--4 strikes with 2 swings and 1 whiff

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

5.2 IP 5 Hits 1 Walk 1 HR on 7 K's to get the W @ LAA yesterday

3.81 ERA and 1.22 WHIP on the season

anything to see here long term or gonna regress to the 4+ ERA the under the hood metrics suggest he is? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, herschel said:

on the road @ the cubs today.  anyone rolling the dice?

I wouldn't.  He has been good but I would only start him at home vs anyone and on the road vs. bad hitting teams.

He is not set and forget at this point.