NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ke'Bryan Hayes - 3B Pirates

The last post on this guy was almost 3 years ago so previous thread was archived.  Why is no one talking about this guy?  Weird.  Top 100.  Close to the majors/not much in front of him.  Not much power but good hit tool.  Seems like Luis Urias but more SB's.  

• 9 months later...

Guy is really hard to figure for fantasy value. He is continually coming in that meaty 30-60 area on most bigger pub lists. Though a portion of that rank (maybe a semi significant %) is related to his outstanding glove and ability to play the hot corner. I still feel like he is underrated some with his bat--even if we were left feeling slightly underwhelmed by the entirety of his age 22 campaign in AAA last season. Certainly he is aware, and likely addressing his frequent tendencies to bat the ball into the ground (46% GB rate). Some minor swing alterations could unlock major profile changes. Even as is, there is deeper league value in a guy that has his proximity to the bigs. He won't be the most heralded post Super 2 call-up, but he has a path to everyday ABs and that matters.

• 1 month later...

I guess I don't get all the hub-bub about Hayes. I don't see much power...I see a career .279 BA in the minors...a career high of .819 OPS. I see people who think he's a star-in-the-making, and I am far from a scout. But I guess I don't see it in the numbers. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 10:02 PM, Flyman75 said:

I guess I don't get all the hub-bub about Hayes. I don't see much power...I see a career .279 BA in the minors...a career high of .819 OPS. I see people who think he's a star-in-the-making, and I am far from a scout. But I guess I don't see it in the numbers. 

James Loney at 3rd... blah

Yeah, Hayes isn't someone I'm actively trying to acquire.  Nothing I see in the stats grabs my attention.  I'd rather take a flier on Gorman, Jones or Bohm.  Groshans as well, but with Vlad Jr. at 3B I'm not sure where that bat ends up on the field.  

Pirates was trying to get him signed to a contract that would have given him the 3B job immediately. Maybe they get something done before the season starts. In any event the Super 2 date the 2 weeks of control crap is all up in the air without a season actually scheduled. Really as a prospect his greatest attribute is a dismal major league team blocking him.

34 minutes ago, cizastro said:

Yeah, Hayes isn't someone I'm actively trying to acquire.  Nothing I see in the stats grabs my attention.  I'd rather take a flier on Gorman, Jones or Bohm.  Groshans as well, but with Vlad Jr. at 3B I'm not sure where that bat ends up on the field.  

The beauty about prospects are that they aren't cold stats on a website.  They change, learn, grow out some with more muscle, try new batting stances etc.  So yeah he could be what he is now.  But change IS the constant not only in life in general but is baseball as well. 

Not everyone is going to make all these online "expert" sites look like idiots like Francisco Lindor did but not everyone is going to halt their growth on a dime and never change or improve either.  Especially with batters and the "lift" approach coupled with juiced balls making utility guys look like Mantle these days.  So I wouldn't give up on Hayes just yet.

10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The beauty about prospects are that they aren't cold stats on a website.  They change, learn, grow out some with more muscle, try new batting stances etc.  So yeah he could be what he is now.  But change IS the constant not only in life in general but is baseball as well. 

Not everyone is going to make all these online "expert" sites look like idiots like Francisco Lindor did but not everyone is going to halt their growth on a dime and never change or improve either.  Especially with batters and the "lift" approach coupled with juiced balls making utility guys look like Mantle these days.  So I wouldn't give up on Hayes just yet.

I agree with you on that.  I remember Hanley Ramirez having relatively pedestrian power numbers until he arrived in the big leagues.  I just prefer the others at this moment in time because it looks like their bats have taken the next steps to being productive MLB players.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They be doing finally:

Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates will call up Ke'Bryan Hayes before Tuesday's game against the Cubs. 

Hayes is one of the top prospects in the Pittsburgh system, and is the son of former long-time third baseman Charlie Hayes. The infielder got a late start to the 2020 season because of a positive COVID-19 test, but has been working at the alternate site since the end of July. Hayes is a third baseman who offers rare speed at the position, and he makes enough hard contact to suggest he'll be able to hit for average at the highest level. Those who need help at the corner infield positions may want to take a look at Hayes, as the Pirates will likely play him everyday down the stretch. 

Source: Jason Mackey on Twitter

Aug 31, 2020, 3:51 PM ET

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 10:16 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Don't think he's a fantasy star but he really did pick it up in the second half after starting horribly partially due to injury. In deeper dynastys I'd be buying low if possible.

Hope you all bought low.  I did in one dynasty league after last season.

• 3 months later...

I sure did Brock. Now it seems like every list I am catching --even fantasy/dynasty ones-- have him placed comfortably in that 7-15 overall range...quite a rise.

But he looked pretty good last season, he has to be starting the season in the bigs, right?

16 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I sure did Brock. Now it seems like every list I am catching --even fantasy/dynasty ones-- have him placed comfortably in that 7-15 overall range...quite a rise.

But he looked pretty good last season, he has to be starting the season in the bigs, right?

Except fantrax who incredibly still has him in the 70s

22 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yes he is the Pirates every day 3B and should not remain on any minor league prospects list.

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Most lists keep everyone on who is still ROTY eligible 

I know and I continue to rant against that absurdity.  Ian Anderson is still on most of those lists too.  Totally stupid of them.  Use some common sense since the top 100 lists are usually only  top 80 to 85 lists instead.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I know and I continue to rant against that absurdity.  Ian Anderson is still on most of those lists too.  Totally stupid of them.  Use some common sense since the top 100 lists are usually only  top 80 to 85 lists instead.

Well there are some guys who only played like 1 game in the majors. Should they be considered prospects? Well they drew the line where they did.  It's not that bad. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Well there are some guys who only played like 1 game in the majors. Should they be considered prospects? Well they drew the line where they did.  It's not that bad. 

I said "common sense."  Not some number.  Why can't a website decide on who is obviously an everyday player, put up that list and say they are not on the prospects list any more for obvious reasons.  Why can't anyone think for themselves and apply reason anymore.