NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

7 hours ago, absknicks said:

I remember in the ‘17 Derby he and Judge were routinely hitting balls 117+

Ah ok. Just wanted to point out Stanton was in his peak at age 27. Vladito, age 20 still isnt legal to drink here in the states.

15 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Pablo Sandoval plays 3rd and run the base, he's in shape. 162 games a year! Incredible

Its the homerun derby with juiced balls that fly ... he's not doing HIIT ... Turning his hips and swinging the bat with a 30 seconds timeout for 4 minutes lollll ... He's got power, but eating way too much food from his grandmother ... Inside the park homerun he probably need to catch his breath for 30 min

Yes he is in baseball shape. Like CC Sabathia is in baseball shape and Willians Astudillo is in baseball shape 

"Baseball shape"

You think Sandoval can do what Vlad does? That's your comparison?

The juiced balls have been shown to travel 5-10* feet further, not enough to make a difference on most of the HRs that Vladdy hit. And everyone was using the same ball, so his 91 is still on a whole other level.

You may not want to admit it, but you do have to have an incredible amount of stamina and endurance to put on the performance Vlad did the other night.  If you watched, maybe you'll remember how gassed Acuna was at the end of his second round? And he's stick-thin compared to Vlad. Heck, look at how many NFL linemen have jacked arms but what looks like beer bellies and they play up to 70 snaps a game. Baseball shape is all that matters here, and Vlad is evidently in plenty good enough baseball shape. So if his weight bothers you this much you shouldn't have drafted him in the first place.

*(Fivethirtyeight says 8.6 feet on this study of the '17 ball).  

3 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Come to think of it, redraft owners might want to shop him around before he starts facing real pitching again. I'm sure he impressed a lot of people in the HR derby.

not sure id call baltimore real pitching, but if you could get a guy like daniel murphy for him i would.  or if youre weak at SP and you can get a domingo german or even a patrick corbin.  doubt you could fleece someone like that tho

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2019 at 10:44 AM, jfazz23 said:

anyone think he gets sent down?

Oh, if he continues to sputter a bit and he’s hitting .220, yes there’s a shot. People who say “nothing to learn there” should know better. They will want him to go down, regroup and get confidence back. He’s in sink or swim period now or he will he sent down. 

• Like 2

Feel like this is gonna happen. He’s meh until September. Maybe another homer or two. Then when everyone is watching football and no one even cares in September (especially on Sundays) he will feast on 40 man Rosters and finish with like 18-20 homers and salvage so no one can say he was actually this miserable 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Feel like this is gonna happen. He’s meh until September. Maybe another homer or two. Then when everyone is watching football and no one even cares in September (especially on Sundays) he will feast on 40 man Rosters and finish with like 18-20 homers and salvage so no one can say he was actually this miserable 

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure rosters aren’t expanding this year.  I think they did away with it.  Which sucks because you are right.  Those are the type of grocery baggers he’d feast on.

Edit looks like it goes into effect in 2020.  So he may have hope of hitting minor league level pitching in September which is perfect for him.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Oh, if he continues to sputter a bit and he’s hitting .220, yes there’s a shot. People who say “nothing to learn there” should know better. They will want him to go down, regroup and get confidence back. He’s in sink or swim period now or he will he sent down. 

people laughed at me like i was trolling.

letting him work on some stuff in AAA and feast on pitching for confidence is not a bad idea. redraft players should be at least slightly concerned.  like i said, trade him for daniel murphy

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

I read this on twitter from a respected trainer and fitness guru.  

Being out of shape after hitting 91 home runs Monday takes an abnormal amount of recovery time.  Add in the fact that Vlads diet is likely high in bread and carbs means that he’s more susceptible to immflamtion and longer recovery time.  Also the fact that he plays in a dome means he doesn’t get much vitamin D and raises his white blood cell count.

Something to keep an eye on.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Being out of shape after hitting 91 home runs Monday takes an abnormal amount of recovery time.  Add in the fact that Vlads diet is likely high in bread and carbs means that he’s more susceptible to immflamtion and longer recovery time.  Also the fact that he plays in a dome means he doesn’t get much vitamin D and raises his white blood cell count.

He hits 91 homerun so he is in shape! Lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Over 80% of African Americans have vitamin D deficiency.  I'd imagine it's even higher in Canada. So that's a real "hot take" from that guru. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bdy1 said:

Reading this thread, you'd think he was batting .220, about to get sent down. I guess that's why they call it fantasy baseball?

He's not that far off. He's been OPsing in the .730s/.740s for a solid two months now. He's been bad.

• Like 4

Guys... he’s ranked 766 on a PER-GAME basics. 766!! Do you understand how bad this guy has been ? Please stop posting positives about this man when he’s been a HUGE disappointment for REDRAFT purposes. 

I don’t have a problem with any of you owners but come on , this is getting out of hand.

just seen someone give the excuse that he’s lacking vitamin D due to the stadium LOOOOL

I just don’t understand why there’s so much bias for vladdy ? It’s astonishing how people continue to give him the benefit of the doubt that no other player in any fantasy sports forum will receive. It’s an embarrassment to the people continuing to give excuses, man up and admit he’s not preforming out of the gate like you said he will.

Edited by Simsanityy179
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

Guys... he’s ranked 766 on a PER-GAME basics. 766!! Do you understand how bad this guy has been ? Please stop posting positives about this man when he’s been a HUGE disappointment for REDRAFT purposes. 

I don’t have a problem with any of you owners but come on , this is getting out of hand.

just seen someone give the excuse that he’s lacking vitamin D due to the stadium LOOOOL

I just don’t understand why there’s so much bias for vladdy ? It’s astonishing how people continue to give him the benefit of the doubt that no other player in any fantasy sports forum will receive. It’s an embarrassment to the people continuing to give excuses, man up and admit he’s not preforming out of the gate like you said he will.

To be fair I think the Vitamin D deficiency comment was more of "expect him to be slow to recover after the HR derby" than "this is a reason why he hasn't done well" comment. 

It's still a silly comment from a twitter "nutrition guru" trying to pass off 1st year physiology knowledge as a hot-take. But not quite as egregious as passing it off as a reason why he has been slow to start at least. 

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess the only silver lining here is next 7 games are all on the road in open air stadiums.  Boston looks hot all week, and Detroit is 90+ and sunny for weekend set.  Looks like lots of opportunity for him to get some vitamin D and hopefully repair his body from the rigors of that 91 homer onslaught last Monday.  A week removed tomorrow so that body should start to recover id imagine.  One can hope.

Also gets Sale, Zimmermann, and Chuck Norris all in a row this week.  That could be a feasting for him.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

I guess the only silver lining here is next 7 games are all on the road in open air stadiums.  Boston looks hot all week, and Detroit is 90+ and sunny for weekend set.  Looks like lots of opportunity for him to get some vitamin D and hopefully repair his body from the rigors of that 91 homer onslaught last Monday.  A week removed tomorrow so that body should start to recovering id imagine.  One can hope.

Since when is hot and sunny helpful for a tired body? 

6 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

Since when is hot and sunny helpful for a tired body? 

Oh, I see the “He is 20” argument only works for why he’s struggling, not being able to play one game a day in hot weather.

he will get plenty of rest and cucumber water from his manager this week I’m sure to prepare for the next 0-4. Biggest disappointment in years