NBC Sports Edge Forums

NFL Draft Discussion 2019

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Given that he's a Jags fan, I'm guessing the day before the first pre-season game, and the day the season is over

I once went camping in Colorado after marijuanas were legal, we were around the campfire and one of my buddies liked to smoke.  So I went in the cabin and farted in a jar and sealed it, I came out whi

I think the Raiders have really rocked this offseason so far. Revamped WR corps, Jacobs is gonna be a nice RB to pair with Richard. After also taking 2 strong defensive players in the 1st round, the R

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

I feel like any WR drafted by Belichick is a mistake. He doesn't have much success. If it were a QB making the transition? Sure.

He's also never drafted one in the first round...

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

He's also never drafted one in the first round...

First time for everything I guess. His track record is horrific on the offensive side when it comes to WR's. His best ones are usually from other teams outside of Edelman (former QB).

Just now, devaster said:

First time for everything I guess. His track record is horrific on the offensive side when it comes to WR's. His best ones are usually from other teams outside of Edelman (former QB).

Edelman is good.  I'd have to see some statistics or something to buy that. 

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

You’d have to compare where he’s picked WRs and how every other team in the league has drafted in those positions over the past 10-20 years. 

My gut feeling is he isn’t that bad   If you include tight ends, he’s done pretty well.

29 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

You’d have to compare where he’s picked WRs and how every other team in the league has drafted in those positions over the past 10-20 years. 

My gut feeling is he isn’t that bad   If you include tight ends, he’s done pretty well.

Approx Val

Rnd

Pick

Tm

Player

Pos

To

CarAV

DrAV

G

NWE

Braxton Berrios

WR

NWE

Malcolm Mitchell

WR

NWE

Devin Lucien

WR

NWE

Jeremy Gallon

WR

NWE

Aaron Dobson

WR

NWE

Josh Boyce

WR

NWE

Jeremy Ebert

WR

NWE

Taylor Price

WR

NWE

Brandon Tate

WR

NWE

Julian Edelman

WR

Basically that's a lot of nobodies for almost no draft cost, and then one 7th rounder that turned out to be a big hit. The one notable early draft is Dobson in 2013.

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

Raider offense......studly?   

I think the Raiders have really rocked this offseason so far. Revamped WR corps, Jacobs is gonna be a nice RB to pair with Richard. After also taking 2 strong defensive players in the 1st round, the Raiders’ arrow is definitely pointing up to peak in Las Vegas

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

I think the Raiders have really rocked this offseason so far. Revamped WR corps, Jacobs is gonna be a nice RB to pair with Richard. After also taking 2 strong defensive players in the 1st round, the Raiders’ arrow is definitely pointing up to peak in Las Vegas

Yeah Gruden seemed to have completely lost his mind in 2018, but that looks quite different now. Suddenly they look like a contender.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Yeah, that's why I would need some stats. I bet he is average. Majority of WRs drafted where he has drafted them don't do anything.

9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah Gruden seemed to have completely lost his mind in 2018, but that looks quite different now. Suddenly they look like a contender.

I fail to see why this is so funny. 2018 was clearly an evaluation year where winning wasn’t a consideration. There’s no doubt the Raiders roster is better than it was when Gruden took over. He built up a nice Raiders team before taking the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl win. I think a lot of people in this forum are prejudiced against him because he was such a bad TV announcer. The guy knows how to turn over a roster. Playoffs this year are a longshot, but 2020 is definitely in play

Edited by lvsaint429
9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

39 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

There’s no doubt the Raiders roster is better than it was when Gruden took over. He built up a nice Raiders team before taking the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl win. I think a lot of people in this forum are prejudiced against him because he was such a bad TV announcer. The guy knows how to turn over a roster. Playoffs this year are a longshot, but 2020 is definitely in play

I'm not sure how you can defend taking a RB in the first round when you have a bottom 10 defense.  They literally could have had Sweat or Greedy Williams.  Gruden has done nothing to be praised here.

I feel like they didn't take Sweat because they would have been criticized for taking a pass rusher with a pick they got for Khalil Mack.  They also traded Amari Cooper for Josh Jacobs.  Antonio Brown will be gone after 2 seasons of putting up with his sh*t.

Edited by RMJ_12
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I'm not sure how you can defend taking a RB in the first round when you have a bottom 10 defense.  They literally could have had Sweat or Greedy Williams.  Gruden has done nothing to be praised here.

I feel like they didn't take Sweat because they would have been criticized for taking a pass rusher with a pick they got for Khalil Mack.  They also traded Amari Cooper for Josh Jacobs.  Antonio Brown will be gone after 2 seasons of putting up with his sh*t.

It's pretty easy to defend if you pay attention to what they had by the time they took Jacobs. They already took an excellent all-around DE in Ferrell & got a versatile DB 3 picks after Jacobs, who's going to solidify the Raiders' ground game.  Richard isn't anything more than a 3rd down/spread formation pass-catching back, & Crowell is a journeyman who isn't going to suddenly become a stud.  They filled needs with guys who can play right away

50 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

It's pretty easy to defend if you pay attention to what they had by the time they took Jacobs. They already took an excellent all-around DE in Ferrell & got a versatile DB 3 picks after Jacobs, who's going to solidify the Raiders' ground game.  Richard isn't anything more than a 3rd down/spread formation pass-catching back, & Crowell is a journeyman who isn't going to suddenly become a stud.  They filled needs with guys who can play right away

That makes zero sense.  They didn't have Abrams when they took Jacobs lol.  Their defense isn't fixed with 2 picks.  They were terrible even with Khalil Mack.

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Yeah, that's why I would need some stats. I bet he is average. Majority of WRs drafted where he has drafted them don't do anything.

Here are some stats.  I pulled tight ends and Wide Receivers since Tight Ends catch passes too.  I also grabbed the other AFC East teams for comparison.

Patriots:

spacer.png

Overall this looks good to me.  There are a lot of misses, but like @Boudewijn pointed out, not much draft capital was spent.  Gronk was the clear hit, along with Edelman late.  Hernandez would have probably turned out great except the off the field issues.  Branch was serviceable. 

Here are the Dolphins:

spacer.png

Parker and Ginn have to be considered disasters considering the draft picks used on them.  Much worse than anything Belichick has ever done at the position.

The Bills:

spacer.png

Lee Evans was pretty good for the Bills, but I wouldn't consider him worth the 13th overall pick.  Then again, it was a dark age for Bills QBs at the time.  Stevie Johnson at 224 was a hit, Watkins was a disaster considering what it took to get him.  Overall there isn't much here that paid off.

and my beloved Jets:

spacer.png

Obviously this is a disaster, as they ended up somehow trading Moss for Coles (Whom they drafted in the first place).  Cotchery and Kerley were serviceable for being outside the top 100.  Keller, Becht, Stephen Hill, Amaro and Devin Smith were all disasters considering the draft capital it cost to get them.  

Overall I'd say the statement that "WR drafted by Belichick is a mistake." is probably untrue.  He just hasn't spent much draft capital on WR's.  Most of the teams aren't successful with picks outside the top 100, and when it comes to the AFC east plenty of the teams aren't successful even with picks in the top 32.

It will be interesting to see what happens with N'Keal Harry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

That makes zero sense.  They didn't have Abrams when they took Jacobs lol.  Their defense isn't fixed with 2 picks.  They were terrible even with Khalil Mack.

You should be happy that Gruden allowed Josh Allen to fall to your team not bashing him in the forum. . .🤪

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Here are some stats.  I pulled tight ends and Wide Receivers since Tight Ends catch passes too.  I also grabbed the other AFC East teams for comparison.

Patriots:

spacer.png

Overall this looks good to me.  There are a lot of misses, but like @Boudewijn pointed out, not much draft capital was spent.  Gronk was the clear hit, along with Edelman late.  Hernandez would have probably turned out great except the off the field issues.  Branch was serviceable. 

Here are the Dolphins:

spacer.png

Parker and Ginn have to be considered disasters considering the draft picks used on them.  Much worse than anything Belichick has ever done at the position.

The Bills:

spacer.png

Lee Evans was pretty good for the Bills, but I wouldn't consider him worth the 13th overall pick.  Then again, it was a dark age for Bills QBs at the time.  Stevie Johnson at 224 was a hit, Watkins was a disaster considering what it took to get him.  Overall there isn't much here that paid off.

and my beloved Jets:

spacer.png

Obviously this is a disaster, as they ended up somehow trading Moss for Coles (Whom they drafted in the first place).  Cotchery and Kerley were serviceable for being outside the top 100.  Keller, Becht, Stephen Hill, Amaro and Devin Smith were all disasters considering the draft capital it cost to get them.  

Overall I'd say the statement that "WR drafted by Belichick is a mistake." is probably untrue.  He just hasn't spent much draft capital on WR's.  Most of the teams aren't successful with picks outside the top 100, and when it comes to the AFC east plenty of the teams aren't successful even with picks in the top 32.

It will be interesting to see what happens with N'Keal Harry.

Damn, thanks for all the work. Branch and Givens we're also hits, particularly Givens, given his draft slot.

I also think Mitchell could have worked out if he could have stayed healthy.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'm not really sure what the hell happened to Malcolm Mitchell. Had him in dynasty.

Just bad luck I think. Tore his knee up two years in a row. Loved him in college.

2 hours ago, lvsaint429 said:

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

Reading is a skill...

Raiders also have signed 4 other defensive free agents (BEFORE draft night) including LB Brandon Marshall & DB Lamarcus Joyner. Not saying the Raider defense is elite at all, but definitely improved from last year already

• Like 2