Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kyler Murray 2019 Outlook


Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suzie Kolber: Kyler, you were on the phone there a long time.  What did they say? Kyler Murray: I don't know, I kinda blacked out for awhile there, so I couldn't even tell you.  But I'll remember

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

Suzie Kolber: Kyler, you were on the phone there a long time.  What did they say?

Kyler Murray: I don't know, I kinda blacked out for awhile there, so I couldn't even tell you.  But I'll remember it forever.

 

O/U on his wonderlic?  10.5

GO!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TTo34 said:

Suzie Kolber: Kyler, you were on the phone there a long time.  What did they say?

Kyler Murray: I don't know, I kinda blacked out for awhile there, so I couldn't even tell you.  But I'll remember it forever.

 

That's a hilarious quote. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Watch him switch to baseball. He just wanted to say he got drafted 1 overall in the NFL  😂

 

I think hell play in the NFL but wouldn't that be funny?

 

He'll be playing baseball in a few years IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

He'll be playing baseball in a few years IMO.

I doubt it. He can make a lot more money remaining in the NFL than going through the MLB farm system which doesn't pay much and is grueling. A lot of MLB prospects don't pan out. Murray if he doesn't pan out can make a good amount of money as a career back-up QB.

I think Murray has the arm talent and athleticism to be successful at the NFL level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, devaster said:

I doubt it. He can make a lot more money remaining in the NFL than going through the MLB farm system which doesn't pay much and is grueling. A lot of MLB prospects don't pan out. Murray if he doesn't pan out can make a good amount of money as a career back-up QB.

I think Murray has the arm talent and athleticism to be successful at the NFL level.

 

I can't imagine he would settle for a backup job in the NFL. He's still young enough to go back to baseball in a few years. You can make a ton more guaranteed money if you are good at baseball. But agreed, it is harder to get there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devaster said:

I doubt it. He can make a lot more money remaining in the NFL than going through the MLB farm system which doesn't pay much and is grueling. A lot of MLB prospects don't pan out. Murray if he doesn't pan out can make a good amount of money as a career back-up QB.

I think Murray has the arm talent and athleticism to be successful at the NFL level.

He's only making a lot more because he went #1  which would put him  around $35mm vs the 20mm from the A's. If he fell out of the top 10 picks then his baseball contract was worth more.

What athletes at their level of success and talent plan on being backups? 

Only the kid who knows he isnt that talented and the coach refers to him as a hustle type of guy.

Blake Bortles just signed for. . .1mm as a backup to Goff lucky for him he got that extra 15mm  bonus as an extension his last year on the jags

Edited by dashoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dashoe said:

He's only making a lot more because he went #1  which would put him  around $35mm vs the 20mm from the A's. If he fell out of the top 10 picks then his baseball contract was worth more.

What athletes at their level of success and talent plan on being backups? 

Only the kid who knows he isnt that talented and the coach refers to him as a hustle type of guy.

Blake Bortles just signed for. . .1mm as a backup to Goff lucky for him he got that extra 15mm  bonus as an extension his last year on the jags

Desirable back-ups get paid well. Bortles was not desirable.

I didn't say his plan was to be a back-up. But the option is there and a much easier path to sustained financial success than the MLB farm system. Murray is going to get 4-5 years to prove he is a franchise-level QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Desirable back-ups get paid well. Bortles was not desirable.

I didn't say his plan was to be a back-up. But the option is there and a much easier path to sustained financial success than the MLB farm system. Murray is going to get 4-5 years to prove he is a franchise-level QB.

Less head trauma in baseball too though

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

This video is from February:

The video is quite positive, as Murray is clearly a talented QB, but notes:
- in collapsing pockets he sometimes takes risky decisions. Reasonable, but more risky in the NFL. He trusts his arm and his feet to get out of trouble.
I admit that I'm old-fashioned and that guys like Cam and Wilson have showed the past decades that indeed you can play that way, but I don't like it much. If you look at eg 1:18 he managed to escape, but against an NFL linebacker he'd be just a bloody smear on the turf.

- sometimes he also simply doesn't see the solutions under pressure. That's a learning process, but he won't get a lot of time as he'll probably have to start from day one.

- in Oklahoma he had an amazing O-Line that gave him a lot of time to throw (they had 2 guards and 2 tackles that all ended up being drafted in round 2-4).
The Cardinals O-line on the other hand needs to recover from an absolutely disastrous year, and we'll have to see if they can protect him.

All of the above are reasonable things for a College QB... if you give him a year to adjust and a great coach to help him. But he doesn't have that year, and KK... well he's a rookie HC in the NFL with a meh record in College - let's call him unproven.

Regarding his size, Wilson was similar-ish size, but Seattle didn't let him throw that much (3100 yd his rookie season) which helped him grow. With KK's air raid, I'm not sure that'll be the same.

All in all, I see too many risks and won't draft him in 2019. In Dynasty it's probably different, but in redraft or auction I don't see a reason; too little upside and too much risk. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

This video is from February:

The video is quite positive, as Murray is clearly a talented QB, but notes:
- in collapsing pockets he sometimes takes risky decisions. Reasonable, but more risky in the NFL. He trusts his arm and his feet to get out of trouble.
I admit that I'm old-fashioned and that guys like Cam and Wilson have showed the past decades that indeed you can play that way, but I don't like it much. If you look at eg 1:18 he managed to escape, but against an NFL linebacker he'd be just a bloody smear on the turf.

- sometimes he also simply doesn't see the solutions under pressure. That's a learning process, but he won't get a lot of time as he'll probably have to start from day one.

- in Oklahoma he had an amazing O-Line that gave him a lot of time to throw (they had 2 guards and 2 tackles that all ended up being drafted in round 2-4).
The Cardinals O-line on the other hand needs to recover from an absolutely disastrous year, and we'll have to see if they can protect him.

All of the above are reasonable things for a College QB... if you give him a year to adjust and a great coach to help him. But he doesn't have that year, and KK... well he's a rookie HC in the NFL with a meh record in College - let's call him unproven.

Regarding his size, Wilson was similar-ish size, but Seattle didn't let him throw that much (3100 yd his rookie season) which helped him grow. With KK's air raid, I'm not sure that'll be the same.

All in all, I see too many risks and won't draft him in 2019. In Dynasty it's probably different, but in redraft or auction I don't see a reason; too little upside and too much risk. 

 

His only potential value is in redraft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...