NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kyler Murray 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

He’s completing about 58% of his passes while leading the NFL in attempts. That’s about Cam Newton accuracy I believe. He’s also near the bottom in yards per attempt too. All while not running at all. If this trend continues it’s only a matter of time before he starts getting games with multiple turnovers. 

with the amount of plays and passes the cardinals are running a game, there is literally no way this kid doesn't finish as a QB1 other than injury, and he is only going to improve, and and and he hasn't even really received the added boost in rushing yards that we all know is coming.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suzie Kolber: Kyler, you were on the phone there a long time.  What did they say? Kyler Murray: I don't know, I kinda blacked out for awhile there, so I couldn't even tell you.  But I'll remember

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

You mean like the Detroit defense about 6 from the bottom?

Man, you sound like a straight up hater.  Longhorns fan?  Pass on Kyler in a dynasty 2QB rookie draft?

As a dynasty owner, I have been thrilled with the results thus far.  I didn't really expect any redraft value this early on, but there he is right in the low-end QB1 range.  When he starts sprinkling in some chunk running plays, watch out.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Man, you sound like a straight up hater.  Longhorns fan?  Pass on Kyler in a dynasty 2QB rookie draft?

As a dynasty owner, I have been thrilled with the results thus far.  I didn't really expect any redraft value this early on, but there he is right in the low-end QB1 range.  When he starts sprinkling in some chunk running plays, watch out.

Ditto. I expected a Lamar Jackson trajectory where he'd struggle a lot this year & then start putting it together. To see such success (yes, only been 2 games) is a pleasant surprise. I didn't think I'd start him at all this year (dynasty league) but now it'll be hard to not start him. 

It's an especially ironic argument that he's citing Detroit's defensive ranking that Kyler Murray helped place them at.

32 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

with the amount of plays and passes the cardinals are running a game, there is literally no way this kid doesn't finish as a QB1 other than injury, and he is only going to improve, and and and he hasn't even really received the added boost in rushing yards that we all know is coming.

He’s leading the league in attempts. Where is he ranked currently because he’s on pace to break the attempt record by almost 100 and that’s just not happening. Even with all those attempts they can’t seem to score in the red zone at all. 

All things considered he has looked phenomenal as a real life QB, but surprisingly I think he's gonna be a disappointment in fantasy, simply because he clearly does not want to run. I think those high on him expected 500+ rushing yards which it doesn't look like he'll be close to. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

All things considered he has looked phenomenal as a real life QB, but surprisingly I think he's gonna be a disappointment in fantasy, simply because he clearly does not want to run. I think those high on him expected 500+ rushing yards which it doesn't look like he'll be close to. 

But I think the majority of us didn’t expect him to look so good passing this early, either. I’m not worried about the running. He’ll make plenty of plays with his legs. He’s too good of an athlete and too fast not to. 

13 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I think he'll still be running quite a bit, but it definitely doesn't look like his legs will quite be the factor many were anticipating. Seems like they have zero intention of running the ball though, so he's going to rack up plenty of passing yards.

vs CAR (week 3)
vs SEA
@ CIN
vs ATL
@ NYG
@ NO
vs SF
@ TB
@ SF (week 11)
BYE
vs LAR (week 13)
vs PIT
vs CLE
@ SEA
(week 17 @LAR)

underlined are the only ones i would be even a little concerned about matchup wise.

16th QB off the board in my league on 8/26. Rodgers to the bench.

Edited by Cotton Jones

I don't what this guy is talking about ... But I like it!  He's going in the lineup.

From Rotoworld, Starts of the week:

Start of the Week: Kyler Murray vs. Panthers: The NFL’s leader in pass attempts (94) after two games -- along with Andy Dalton -- Murray has produced weekly fantasy finishes of QB11 and QB16. Holding back his stats to this point is the Cardinals’ inability to score in the red zone (31st in red-zone TD percentage) and Murray’s dual-threat ability has not been part of his game with just six rushing attempts for 17 empty yards and one fumble. After running the most offensive plays Week 1 against the Lions, the Cardinals fired off the second-fewest snaps last week in Baltimore against the ball-control Ravens. Things should swing back the other way back home against a Carolina squad that is 23rd in opponent plays per game after facing the fast-paced Rams and Bucs. This game should also operate at break-neck speed. The Cardinals and Panthers are both top-six in neutral-situation pace and bottom-10 in opponent plays per game. Carolina is No. 4 in fantasy points allowed to quarterbacks after shutting down Jared Goff in the opener before allowing just 208 yards and one touchdown to Jameis Winston on a meager 25 attempts last Thursday night. The Bucs surprisingly leaned heavily on the run in that one. Football Outsiders isn’t exactly buying the Panthers’ lofty success against the pass, instead grading Carolina No. 19 in pass-defense DVOA. This is a beatable matchup for Murray, largely due to the pace and expected high volume of plays. More opportunities equals more chances for fantasy points. Murray should again flirt with 40 pass attempts. The rushing numbers will eventually come. After being down on Murray Weeks 1-2, I’m all in this Sunday. He’s extremely cheap on FanDuel at $7,200 sandwiched between Kirk Cousins and Dalton.

Edited by mikeflavaz
  • Like 1
On 9/16/2019 at 11:00 AM, Novaray said:

4th and 1 at the 4 = Field Goal

4th and Goal at the 3 = Field Goal

4th and Goal at the 2 = Field Goal

Kingsbury gotta let the kid play

On 9/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, jsch08 said:

Yah he’s been surprisingly conservative in his play calling in these situations. I think this gets cleaned up and they were a bit unlucky not to have more Tds.

The Cards were 3-13 last season.  They played the Lions to a tie and came within 7 of beating the AFC North champs.  In a “real” football sense he’s not doing anything wrong.   

• Like 2

Any idea why his rushing numbers are so low? Can we expect a jump or no? I'm a little bummed as I thought we'd see Murray take off at least a couple times by now. I was watching his college highlights and this dude can fly. Maybe it's more the defense not giving him the opportunity thus far.

8 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Any idea why his rushing numbers are so low? Can we expect a jump or no? I'm a little bummed as I thought we'd see Murray take off at least a couple times by now. I was watching his college highlights and this dude can fly. Maybe it's more the defense not giving him the opportunity thus far.

have yet to really see anything designed 🤷‍♂️ the meagher yds he does have are a result of scrambling out the pocket ... and he's been skirting defenders rightquick and gliding outta bounds on most - kid's gotta learn to just chuck it away rather than take the negative yardage "sacks" 

Kliffy is doing all he can to protect the guy, can't blame him - though he plays much bigger than he is, let's not forget he's a very slight cat ... looks like a pee wee QB out there at times. 

my thinking is that now that we have him established as a passer (toss out that horrendous three qtr start vs Detroit and the kid is on fire and chucking as good as anyone) we may see a few designed keepers - time to unleash phase two of his arsenal. 

he's never gonna evolve into Lamar, or Allen, or even Watson (who has scaled his rushing back) ... more like a combo of $$$$$Money Mitch$$$$$/St.Russel, inasmuch that the ability is there, but the actual designed jaunts may not be. 

this is a yuuuuuuge week - anything short of 2 total TDs would shock the fugg outta me 

26/46/342/2/0  with 3/21/0

• Like 1

Seems like this is the most likely game to shootout this week. Both these teams are top 5 in plays per game. I expect big things from Kyler this week and have Cardinals everywhere in fantasy this week. Hopefully I don't regret it ☺️.

Edited by King Gonzo

Man did this guy crapped the bed in the 4th. I think he got like -10 pts that quarter in my league that deducts points from sacks.

He was terrible, but still had a serviceable final line for fantasy purposes. Obviously great to see him run the ball too. I am still buying; I feel like there is no where to go but up.