NBC Sports Edge Forums

Griffin Canning 2019 Outlook

Big upside SP alert!

Ausmus stated " He's on the radar " when Canning's scheduled start was scratched for him to stretch out to 90 pitch count.  Many believe this was done to prepare for a call up to the big leagues.  He's got a mid-high 90's fastball, a solid change up, and curve.  His command is excellent and scouts compare him to a young Trevor Bauer.

With the Angels having probably the worst starting rotation in baseball, they need a boost to the team morale, and something for the fans to get excited about.  Canning is seen as their future Ace, and skyrocketed through the system last year after dominating at every level.  I believe he has 3-4 starts so far this year, and his ERA is less than 1.0!  He doesn't walk much at all and can average at or above 1 K per Inning.

I picked him up expecting a call up in the next few days, and if he's mentally ready for the moment, and pitches even close to what I've seen so far, he'll stay in the rotation this season, and pitch between 140-160 innings.  When he does get called up, I believe he'll immediately be the best pitcher on the Angels.  

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Thanks 4
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the schedule-browsing guy here, I happily present to you his upcoming matchups if he sticks in the rotation & doesn't get skipped: vs TOR @DET, @BAL vs KC vs TEX

He was one of those guys I thought would outperform his minor league numbers and so far it looks like he might, stuff shows this is sustainable and could get better too. Last night was a very goo

I honestly think he’s mentally struggling. He was one of the most visibly affected by Skaggs passing. He was a mentor to Canning and I think he’s emotionally taking it really hard and it’s effecting h

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

Big upside SP alert!

Ausmus stated " He's on the radar " when Canning's scheduled start was scratched for him to stretch out to 90 pitch count.  Many believe this was done to prepare for a call up to the big leagues.  He's got a mid-high 90's fastball, a solid change up, and curve.  His command is excellent and scouts compare him to a young Trevor Bauer.

With the Angels having probably the worst starting rotation in baseball, they need a boost to the team morale, and something for the fans to get excited about.  Canning is seen as their future Ace, and skyrocketed through the system last year after dominating at every level.  I believe he has 3-4 starts so far this year, and his ERA is less than 1.0!  He doesn't walk much at all and can average at or above 1 K per Inning.

I picked him up expecting a call up in the next few days, and if he's mentally ready for the moment, and pitches even close to what I've seen so far, he'll stay in the rotation this season, and pitch between 140-160 innings.  When he does get called up, I believe he'll immediately be the best pitcher on the Angels.  

You got me excited. Until he's called up the mods won't allow this thread in the big-league section of teh forum. Good mention tho. Potentially a low-upside type but I'm a dynasty owner who'd appreciate the innings boost. 

• Like 1
Just now, hangin n wangin said:

Angel fan here. Excited about him too. He will compete to be the best pitcher on the staff with Skaggs. But they will limit him so I wouldn’t rely on him.

True.

From what I've read, it looks like they'll shoot for 150 innings this year.  If they limit him to 5ip outings like Paddock, he could be pretty useful for most of the season.

1 minute ago, HulkSmash said:

True.

From what I've read, it looks like they'll shoot for 150 innings this year.  If they limit him to 5ip outings like Paddock, he could be pretty useful for most of the season.

150 is optimistic in my opinion, but we shall see. 

Angels top pitching prospect, and general top 100 guy is getting the call. Not a rush out and get guy for shallow leagues, but 14 teamers, sure. He's dominated AAA with the juiced balls this year

from fangraphs

4. Griffin Canning, RHP
Drafted: 2nd Round, 2017 from UCLA (LAA)
Age 22.8 Height 6′ 1″ Weight 170 Bat / Thr R / R FV 50
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command Sits/Tops
55/55 55/60 50/50 45/55 45/55 92-96 / 97

Canning was used very heavily at UCLA and would sometimes throw in excess of 120 pitches during his starts, even as an underclassman. The Angels shelved him for the rest of the summer after they drafted him, and it paid off. Canning came out the following spring throwing harder than he had in college, his fastball sitting 94-97 for most of his starts. He held that velo throughout 2018 and reached Triple-A in his first pro season. He’s a No. 4 starter on the cusp of debut.

•  
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

At the very least, his debut matchup is great.  Vlad is great, but he's can't do enough to cover the other 8 spots...

Vlad can do it from the bench, the on deck circle even in the hole.   Why do you underestimate him?

Had a no hitter thru 3 with 5 Ks, had Vlad flailing around. After a long half inning came back and lost the zone, got hit hard, and left after 4.1 IP and 82 pitches.

Before the game, there was talk of him being sent back down because of the upcoming off days the Angels have, (according to the Jays announcers)

Edited by exaulz
  • Thanks 2

Tough to predict.  

He was the first pitcher in Angel's history to strike out 5 in a row in his Major League debut.  After 4 innings he had 1 ER, and escaped bases loaded with 1 Out and Vladdy JR up.  I thought that was the perfect time to take him out so he could end his night on a high note, but he came out in the 5th and looked like he was a little tired.  

If he stays up, I'm def holding.  They should keep him at low pitch counts to let him gain confidence and stretch out to 90 pitches slowly with more in his tank.

Edited by HulkSmash

I haven't looked up his milb stats in terms of pitch counts for his starts but does he need to be stretched out? Or was he just gassed from it being his first start and perhaps throwing a little harder than he normally would have?

His next start lines up against the tigers. 

He's solid, some good stuff...he was overworked in college so the Angels have been rather strict with pitch counts/stress innings.

I would expect a whole bunch of 4-5 inning starts until he gets more economical with his pitches.

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I haven't looked up his milb stats in terms of pitch counts for his starts but does he need to be stretched out? Or was he just gassed from it being his first start and perhaps throwing a little harder than he normally would have?

His next start lines up against the tigers. 

I watched every pitch, and he def had adrenaline going the first 2 innings while dominating.  His next start he will look to ease up just a little to begin the game so he can get through the 5th inning without his fastball dropping from 96mph to about 92mph like it did last night.  

There's a lot of good takeaways from his performance, though, as it was very clear he's a really good pitcher, with command of 3 major league level pitches.  If he gets the Tigers next, I could see him going 5 IP, 1-2 ER, 6 K's.  I like him rest of the season and willing to be patient as he gets comfortable out there because the Angels desperately need starting pitching, and want to give the fans something to get excited about.

I'd bet they keep Canning in the rotation, and bring up their minor league star outfielder Joe Adel when he's fully healthy.  The Angels aren't winning a ton of games this year, but they have the best player in baseball, and some young talent that can get their fan base excited about the future.  They also have Matt Harvey who just maybe starting to figure things out, so there are story lines for the fans to follow and keep the season interesting.

• Like 4

He was gassed at the end, still needs to buildup the pitch count but adrenaline did have a factor. Most he has thrown in AAA outside of that extended start (90 pitches) was 78. Overall he looked great, fastball 93-96 first 4 innings, felt like the slider improved as the game went on, curve was solid, had difficulties his Change but only threw a few.  

A peak under the hood at the pitches last night:

-FB averaged 93 MPH with a top end of 95, threw 40--25 strikes with 20 swings and a nice 8 whiffs, pretty great tail action run to the pitch too

-SL was main secondary, sat 87 MPH, OK vert movement and a bit of horizontal action, threw 24--only 11 strikes with 11 swings and a robust 7 whiffs

-CU was thrown 13 times--9 strikes with 4 swings and 2 whiffs, sat 82 MPH and I liked it's shape, decent 12-6 action to it...he needs to throw more

-CH only threw 4 at 85 MPH, 3 strikes with 3 swings and a whiff, minimal dart or dive run to the pitch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, boomzdaddy said:

What does everyone think about his two start week?  I'm thinking of rolling the dice with two plus matchups.  

Good opponents, but people need to be aware that he's going to be babied. I really think they're going to use him as a 5 inning pitcher this year and skip his starts here and there.

• Like 1