NBC Sports Edge Forums

Griffin Canning 2019 Outlook

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the schedule-browsing guy here, I happily present to you his upcoming matchups if he sticks in the rotation & doesn't get skipped: vs TOR @DET, @BAL vs KC vs TEX

He was one of those guys I thought would outperform his minor league numbers and so far it looks like he might, stuff shows this is sustainable and could get better too. Last night was a very goo

I honestly think he’s mentally struggling. He was one of the most visibly affected by Skaggs passing. He was a mentor to Canning and I think he’s emotionally taking it really hard and it’s effecting h

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

Do we have any idea what his innings cap might be? I would like to know if its worth keeping him for h2h playoffs.

Why don't you just play him now, and if he's not pitching in the playoffs drop him then for someone who is?  If there's a pitcher you like better than Canning pick him up and drop Canning regardless. If there isn't, I would wait.

From my experience, very few players have ever had a strict innings limit that was projected and discussed openly and then was abided by. 

1 hour ago, DJSatane said:

Oh I have him on my roster, I am just wondering thats all. He is definitely usefull asset especially in AL ONLY leagues.

DJ-I think they will be careful with him. They are out of the race and he projects as part of their future. I think your ceiling is 5 innings, which could get you a "W" if things break right. But I wouldn't count on a 7 inning 100 pitch evening.

I had Griff, traded him, but still am a big fan of him and think in time he's going to serve you quite well.

Edited by kwolf68
14 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

DJ-I think they will be careful with him. They are out of the race and he projects as part of their future. I think your ceiling is 5 innings, which could get you a "W" if things break right. But I wouldn't count on a 7 inning 100 pitch evening.

I had Griff, traded him, but still am a big fan of him and think in time he's going to serve you quite well.

I’m thinking he’ll need to be cut before the fantasy playoffs because of innings limits. It doesn’t seem like he’ll be valuable the last few weeks of the season. 

Very nice outing yesterday. Does anyone know if they plan to limit him or shut him down for the fantasy stretch run?

After all the deaths and arm amputations the angels pitchers have gone through the past decade or so, they are treating him like a new born baby. Canning is their future. They have no reason for him to need to try to play hero in a year where they aren’t going to do anything.

Edited by hangin n wangin

Pitchers (and their agents) aren't usually down with arm/elbow ailments being used as phantom injuries as it can possibly hurt their value further down the road.  If the IL stints are legit, the fact that he's had two cases of elbow inflammation is at least slightly concerning for the long-term. 

Seems highly unlikely he's gonna carry much, if any, value ROS.  Time to drop outside of dynasty/deep keeper leagues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

Pitchers (and their agents) aren't usually down with arm/elbow ailments being used as phantom injuries as it can possibly hurt their value further down the road.  If the IL stints are legit, the fact that he's had two cases of elbow inflammation is at least slightly concerning for the long-term. 

Seems highly unlikely he's gonna carry much, if any, value ROS.  Time to drop outside of dynasty/deep keeper leagues. 

Precisely. This is no phantom IL stint, it would be labeled a knee or neck thing like LAD do.

It is concerning, but it might allow for a discounted type of buy too? His stuff is ace like, I would try and take the risks that he may end up with a zipper.