NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What was Derrick Henry's first game

Nope.   I'm in that period of hating everyone I drafted.

From Adam Caplan   #Raiders HC Jon Gruden on RB Josh Jacobs after practice today when asked how he looked this week: "Pretty good. He got work all three days. I think that's a good sign.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, The G Man said:

I didn't see any of the game last night or any highlights yet. 

How'd he look? 

He looked pretty good.  AZ was playing a weird 5-2 D set that exposed the G/T gap on each side.  Jacobs pretty much got what was blocked for him and not much more.  I don’t know if we saw a whole lot that really defines his skill level in the NFL yet.

• Thanks 2

Don't really understand how people can pick Jacobs over more proven talents... Seems like a risky bet...

Someone change my mind.

7 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Don't really understand how people can pick Jacobs over more proven talents... Seems like a risky bet...

Someone change my mind.

Every year we see these comments. How did that work for those who passed on Barkley last year because he wasn't "proven"? Because thats all we had all off season about him. 

Talented Rookie running backs drafted into situations with plenty of opportunity have shown to make big impacts in fantasy. 

Barkley, Chubb, Lindsay, Kerryon Johnson, Sony Michel..... Alvin Kamara and Ezekiel Elliott had monster rookie years as well. The whole "proven" or safe pick is a thing of the past. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Someone change my mind.

Because in fantasy, situation can be more valuable than experience.  A team desperate for defense uses their first round pick on a RB, the first RB off the board, and basically hands the backfield to him.  With the talent in that offense, situation can trump experience.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

He looked pretty good.  AZ was playing a weird 5-2 D set that exposed the G/T gap on each side.  Jacobs pretty much got what was blocked for him and not much more.  I don’t know if we saw a whole lot that really defines his skill level in the NFL yet.

Yeah I agree. Still, didn’t see any negatives on the field for him. And Raiders as a whole have looked better than recent history since late last season and continue to now, so that is a good sign

24 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Someone change my mind.

This is fair for every position except RB.

If you are taking rookie WRs, QBs, and TEs basically off of your draft board(which is what dropping their rankings well below ADP essentially does) most experts and experienced fantasy players will not argue with you. That is totally fair and even smart.

If you are taking rookie RBs off your board, you are MAJORLY limiting yourself. 

• Like 1

According to FantasyPros little blurb on Jacobs, over the past 6 years, 1st round rookie RB's have averaged over 283 touches in their rookie year.  That's a pretty impressive number!  That's not just pointing to a couple that had big years, that's averaging them all.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Someone change my mind.

Because most of those people have proven, relatively low ceilings.  Looking at RBs around his ADP Ingram is the only one I would take over him.  Michel/Lindsay/Coleman all have question marks (Ingram does too).  You can swing for the fences, hit a home run or strike out.  Or you can accept a mediocre floor/ceiling and not worry about Ronald Jones 2.0.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Someone change my mind.

His adp isn’t very high.  Maybe 4th or 5th round.   Not that big of a risk.  

14 minutes ago, Rickydragon said:

His adp isn’t very high.  Maybe 4th or 5th round.   Not that big of a risk.  

looks like the end of the 3rd right now

http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2019/adp?COUNT=100&POS=*&ROOKIES=0&INJURED=0&CUTOFF=5&FRANCHISES=12&IS_PPR=1&IS_KEEPER=0&IS_MOCK=0&TIME=

That’s probably about right given his projected workload versus his unknowns.  Personally I think he’s getting drafted closer to his ceiling than his floor.  I’m still concerned that we just didn’t see enough of his ability in college given how dominant that O line was.  He’s not that great an athlete and Saban sat him a lot more than he played him, even in the second half of blowouts when he should have been racking up big yards.  Probably just a round+ more than I’m comfortable drafting him.

1 hour ago, ponza88 said:

Someone change my mind.

Ponza 2017:

Don't really understand how people can pick McCaffrey over more proven talents... Seems like a risky bet...

Someone change my mind.

Ponza 2018:

Don't really understand how people can pick Barkley over more proven talents... Seems like a risky bet...

Someone change my mind.

Ponza 2019:

Someone change my mind.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ponza 2017:

Don't really understand how people can pick McCaffrey over more proven talents... Seems like a risky bet...

Someone change my mind.

Ponza 2018:

Don't really understand how people can pick Barkley over more proven talents... Seems like a risky bet...

Someone change my mind.

Ponza 2019:

Someone change my mind.

So Jacobs is in the same realm as CMC and Barkley?  Do you live in Denver?

1 minute ago, Bronco Billy said:

So Jacobs is in the same realm as CMC and Barkley?  Do you live in Denver?

1st round RB and yeah, his game is similar to both of theirs and he has the backfield to himself just like they do. More similarities than differences. Jacobs catches and runs routes as well as they did coming into the NFL.

32 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

1st round RB and yeah, his game is similar to both of theirs and he has the backfield to himself just like they do. More similarities than differences. Jacobs catches and runs routes as well as they did coming into the NFL.

Wow.  I’m not seeing that at all.  Not even close.  It will be interesting to see if you’re right and Saban had Barkley level talent that he let languish on the bench.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Mcaffery is a way better comparison than Barkley. You are reaching with Barkley there.

5 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Mcaffery is a way better comparison than Barkley. You are reaching with Barkley there.

Agree about Barkley.  It's ridiculous to use him in any kind of comparison regarding rookie RBs and ADP.   He was clearly something different.  

1 hour ago, Bronco Billy said:

Wow.  I’m not seeing that at all.  Not even close.  It will be interesting to see if you’re right and Saban had Barkley level talent that he let languish on the bench.

Ok, shame if you can't see it. Jacobs is a good rusher, has good receiving skills, is already a good pass blocker and got drafted to a team that plans to use him a whole lot in the 1st round.

Plenty of similarities in reference to these guys fantasy situations.

What do you think is so different? The size of Quons Quads?

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1
On 7/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, BlakeP42 said:

He's def had a rough go of it in recent years i won't deny that.  Cable and Bevell both wore out their welcome in Seattle and were let go together. But it also can't be denied that Cable and Bevell had a pretty successful time in Seattle. Their drop off honestly started in 2017, IMO and we have seen a decent amount of turnover in Seattle all around, from players to coaches you name it.  A lot of the time talent vs situation can be important in this league. Something the Raiders had little of last season up front and at RB; and a lot of it up front was injury related and possibly bad drafting related if Kolton Miller can't improve.  Like i said in my original post, I'm simply interested to see what Cable can do this year with the starting unit i expect to see in OAK this season.  Its a year to year league, i know you know that. Richie is already facing a suspension,  so that LG spot is still a trouble spot thats for sure.  But i think they have a chance to bounce back as a unit this year and i like the addition of Jacobs as well as a runner.  They have a nice core three of Hudson, Brown, Jackson. Thats more then some teams can say entering this season up front talent wise. If Miller can improve and they find a viable LG it should improve. Health permitting. 

Actually the drop-off was always there, its just that by 2015 Lynch was no longer good enough to mask it, and by 2017 even Wilson couldn't keep everything afloat.  Cable and Bevell are simply not good anymore.  Bevell rode the Favre MIN season into his Seattle position, but he's been bad for YEARS.  Russell Wilson is the most criminally underutilized QB in the league, and Bevel is a big reason why.  For DET to have hired him thinking that he will help Stafford and Golladay is laughable. 

Cable was ONCE really good, but became inflexible and rested on his laurels.  The OAK OL 2 years ago was a top-5 unit entering 2017, and now they're below average under his tutelage.  And the SEA line, which for years was blamed for being not talented all of a sudden played really well once Cable was fired and a competent OL coach was brought in. Simply stating the facts. 

• Thanks 1