NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mecole Hardman 2019 Outlook

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I’m gonna start him just so I can look like a genius when he goes off. My league mates already think I’m dumb so if he flops no loss. 

Literally all you have to think about to see the obvious upside here is Sammy Watkins injury history.

Posted Images

I'm playing with the idea of starting him this week.  Have DJ Moore at one WR spot, so I'm not pulling the trigger on him because he's playing tonight.  Have DWill at flex, and don't think I'm ready to jump ship on him just yet, plus he has as much blow up potential as Mecole.  That leaves living legend Larry mothaf***in Fitzgerald to ponder.

It's a standard league, so # of catches makes no difference. Baltimore always has a good defense, but the secondary is banged up.

But I might need that explosive Hardman potential...

So, my thinking is this: gonna see what I get from DJ Moore and OJ Howard, and what McCaffrey does against me, tonight.  If I get decent numbers from my 2 and not killed too much by his CMC, then we'll go the safe route with Fitz.  But if CMC breaks it off in me and my dudes drop some duds, I'll have to go with the Mecole hail mary.

My advice would be to look at your match ups and see if you need probable production vs possible blow up at risk of goose egg more.

Pure risk assessment here

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I'm playing with the idea of starting him this week.  Have DJ Moore at one WR spot, so I'm not pulling the trigger on him because he's playing tonight.  Have DWill at flex, and don't think I'm ready to jump ship on him just yet, plus he has as much blow up potential as Mecole.  That leaves living legend Larry mothaf***in Fitzgerald to ponder.

It's a standard league, so # of catches makes no difference. Baltimore always has a good defense, but the secondary is banged up.

So, my thinking is this: gonna see what I get from DJ Moore and OJ Howard, and what McCaffrey does against me, tonight.  If I get decent numbers from my 2 and not killed too much by his CMC, then we'll go the safe route with Fitz.  But if CMC breaks it off in me and my dudes drop some duds, I'll have to go with the Mecole hail mary.

My advice would be to look at your match ups and see if you need probable production vs possible blow up at risk of goose egg more.

I love this. Some people don't play with this strategy, but I do and I like it. I'm in the exact same situation with Fitz or Hardman (or Metcalf), but only with Carolina D and against nobody, so will have less of an idea where I'm at.

Still, you gotta love Hardman's potential upside vs. Fitz.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Larry had 2 catches of over 40 yards last week. Proven and had a great week last week. I don't think he's a "safe play". I think he's a high floor, high ceiling play. He can go off at any time and that offense is going to put up stats. 

I'm a Chiefs fan, and a Hardman fan. Have Hardman also on a team with Larry. Want him to breakout. No way I'm starting him over Larry at this point though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

None of those guys are returning kicks or punts.

They sure did when they couldn't catch, bud. There are more important things involved with being a kick/punt returner, to the mind of NFL coaches, than being Cris Carter.

4 hours ago, miasma16 said:

They sure did when they couldn't catch, bud. There are more important things involved with being a kick/punt returner, to the mind of NFL coaches, than being Cris Carter.

Noted bud. Still doesn't answer why the question about Hardman's hands...I stand by the point that Reid would not have him back there if he had any question about his hands.

Guys it pains my heart, but I may have to set him free back to the wire. Thinkin bout doing it right before Sunday so nobody can grab him. Unfortunately if he looks good, he could be expensive come Wednesday. It's either him or AP and I kinda need an Rb. Sad moment in history 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

Guys it pains my heart, but I may have to set him free back to the wire. Thinkin bout doing it right before Sunday so nobody can grab him. Unfortunately if he looks good, he could be expensive come Wednesday. It's either him or AP and I kinda need an Rb. Sad moment in history 

Wish i was in your league :) ... Been watching Hardman since college ( live in GA).. Naturally he went pretty high in our draft due to us all living in GA ..

Im very confident he will be just fine steping right into Hills role.. Anyone else you can drop?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

Who CMC? ;)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

Guys it pains my heart, but I may have to set him free back to the wire. Thinkin bout doing it right before Sunday so nobody can grab him. Unfortunately if he looks good, he could be expensive come Wednesday. It's either him or AP and I kinda need an Rb. Sad moment in history.

Hardman is your worst player on your roster and yet you are desperate for a rb?  Definetely not sad.

Edited by Zangief80

I don’t have the balls to slot him in this week as my WR3 ahead of Fitz, but I love this guy as a bench stash ROS. He should definitely get an opportunity to show what he can do with Reek out, but I’m waiting and seeing for this first game. Good luck to those starting him. He’s also used on returns, so that should help those of you who play in leagues that count return yardage.

Edited by kraftwrk_5

I'm surprised there isn't more burn on Mecole this week.  Tyreek out for a bit and if Watkins gets hurt he's in for a huge roll.  As a reminder, here is Watkins injury history.  Does this look like a guy that's gonna hold up getting high volume?

Nov 19, 2018 NFL Pedal Foot  Watkins lasted just 5 snaps in his attempt to return from injuring his right foot. He missed the final 5 regular-season games, following a Week 12 bye. Watkins returned for the playoffs.
Nov 4, 2018 NFL Pedal Foot  Watkins suffered an unspecified right foot injury against the Browns and missed the following game.
Sep 21, 2017 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Watkins departed in Week 3 but returned for Week 4.
Jan 1, 2017 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture  Watkins had 2 screws inserted into his previously fractured and repaired left foot, following multiple recovery setbacks.
Sep 20, 2016 NFL Pedal Foot  Watkins missed Week 3 and then landed on IR -- designated to return -- after a teammate stepped on his surgically repaired left foot in a walkthrough. He missed 8 games, returning in Week 12.
Apr 13, 2016 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture  Watkins fractured his left foot in an April workout training and needed a screw inserted.
Oct 18, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Watkins sprained his left ankle on a TD reception in Week 6 and missed the next 2 games.
Sep 27, 2015 NFL Leg Calf Strain  Watkins suffered a reportedly "mild" strain to his left calf against the Dolphins in Week 3 but did miss 2 games. 
Aug 17, 2015 NFL Thigh Glute Strain  Watkins sat out the final 3 preseason games with a glute injury.
Nov 30, 2014 NFL Inguinal Hip Tear  Watkins had minor surgery after the season to fix a slight tear in the labrum in his hip. The injury cost him no game time.
Nov 5, 2014 NFL Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 Watkins had a minor groin pull in practice coming out of the Week 9 bye that did not cost him any playing time. 
Aug 28, 2014 NFL Chest Rib Bruise  Watkins aggravated a previous rib bruise and left the preseason game against the Steelers. 
Aug 16, 2014 NFL Chest Rib Bruise  The rookie missed 1 preseason game after sustaining a rib bruise in the 3rd preseason game.
Dec 31, 2012 Non-NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 The Clemson star WR was knocked out of the Chick-fil-A Bowl against LSU on the second play of the game with a right ankle sprain.
Nov 12, 2011 Non-NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain  Watkins missed 1 game after spraining his right shoulder against Wake Forest in November.
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

I want to start him but I’m not sure if I’m crazy enough to lmao. Are we expecting this game to even be competitive tomorrow?

I'm keeping him on the bench this week as well. I want to see more from him before starting him. I added him for the long haul before my leagues waivers this week so nobody else could scoop him up.

Half PPR, 10 team. 

1 hour ago, mjb said:

Total Boom or Bust, good luck!

This term is completely meaningless and gets lazily thrown around all the time

So he can't have an average game? If he doesn't explode, hes just going to be completely useless? And what makes you think a guy who has done nothing in the NFL is even capable of "total boom" anyway? 

• Haha 1