NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mecole Hardman 2019 Outlook

joebaker23

1 hour ago, srothschild70 said:

Thanks for the advice. Seemed to really work out.

I was 100% wrong about the jets order but other than that, it did work out. Mecole will become a part of the game plan and Sammy will most likely be Sammy. Whether that be a disappearing act or a ride similar to the one Tyreek took yesterday.

Boy am I glad I stashed this kid. 

So what If he's raw, Reid will find ways to get him the ball with TyFreak on ice. 

On tape, Watkins now gets all the extra coverage. 

This train is gassing up, and will soon be leaving the station. 

Choo Choo 

• Like 7

The reality is somewhere in between. Hill's injury is a great opportunity for Hardman who was basically drafted to be developed into the next Hill, be it as his direct replacement during Hill's legal issues or as a dynamic complement in the future. However, no catch on just 1 gimmick target - while playing basically all snaps after Hill left early - is concerning.

However, I tend to think Andy Reid will have to scheme the ball into Hardman's hands from now on with at least some frequency. They will miss Hill for at least a month if not longer, so they will need him without a doubt. My only question is if you can bank on fairly consistent production production or if you have to guess the right week when Hardman catches a deep bomb from Mahomes. The latter will inevitably happen, but my question mark remains his general involvement into their passing offense.

I wouldn't worry much about Demarcus Robinson either. Andy Reid likes to stretch the field to open up things for Kelce and the RBs, so Hardman should see the field more than Robinson who isn't an elite athlete by any means. We've seen this after Hill left already. Snap count won't be an issue.

• Like 2

I picked this cat up after waivers cleared....surprised he was still there. I think everyone's focus was on the WR's who blew up last week. Maybe one or more of them will pan out, but for me taking a WR who didn't blow up yet is in a good situation on the most prolific offenses in the league won me over.

Guys, I don't know what we can expect from Hardman since he was put in last week's game unexpected. Let's see what Reid schemes up for him against the Raiders. I do know the Chiefs wouldn't have invested a 2nd round pick in this guy if they didn't plan on using him, especially in a situation like this. All the attention will be on Kelce and Watkins. Not to mention Watkins' injury history and Tyreek's unknown return to the field, we could be looking at waiver wire gem here.

Having said that, anyone have the courage to start him as their WR2? It's a risky play no doubt. But I have a feeling the Chiefs will go up big on the Raiders, which would be a good time for Reid to see what they have in this kid. I might have to go with the wait and see approach, however.

Edited by RoseLin23

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Was Hardman being covered by Jalen Ramsey the rest of the game after Hill was out? Because if so that would probably explain why Watkins was running roughshod and Hardman was getting no target share. 

Ramsey was on Watkins mostly after Hill went out.  

AJ Bouye (top 20 cb) was covering Hardman. 

Game was out already of reach before the end of the 3rd. 

Watkins TD on Ramsey to begin the 4th was the nail in the coffin. 

It's just really hard to trust rookie WRs in their first year, especially ones as raw as Mecole.

They'll probably find ways to get the ball in his hands, but I'm not sure he'll be start worthy this year.

For comparison, Tyreek's first year:

62/593/6 Recieving

24/267/3 Rushing

He'll probably be a gimmick play/long bomb guy until Tyreek gets back.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

It's just really hard to trust rookie WRs in their first year, especially ones as raw as Mecole.

They'll probably find ways to get the ball in his hands, but I'm not sure he'll be start worthy this year.

For comparison, Tyreek's first year:

62/593/6 Recieving

24/267/3 Rushing

He'll probably be a gimmick play/long bomb guy until Tyreek gets back.

Can’t forget Mecole has a huge advantage though if we’re gonna bring up Tyreek’s first year as a comparison. 

Alex Smith in Tyreek’s rookie year 3,502 and 15 tds.

Pat Mahommes last year 5,097 and 50 tds. 

Even if Mahommes has a drop off he’s still going to put up huge numbers even without Tyreek. I agree Mecole is raw but I can’t see him not producing as the 2nd WR on a Mahommes led offense. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Even if Mahommes has a drop off he’s still going to put up huge numbers even without Tyreek. I agree Mecole is raw but I can’t see him not producing as the 2nd WR on a Mahommes led offense. 

I think we just see it every year. WR with all the raw skills but not able to do much in their first year.

He's worth a shot on your roster though.  I think you should have a good idea of how they plan on using him after week 2.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Having said that, anyone have the courage to start him as their WR2? It's a risky play no doubt. But I have a feeling the Chiefs will go up big on the Raiders, which would be a good time for Reid to see what they have in this kid. I might have to go with the wait and see approach, however.

In standard league, I'm starting him as my FLEX this week. Could get a goose egg but all it takes is one Mahomes bomb for a TD to make the start pay off. I figure against the Raiders, Mahomes will take 2 or 3 shots downfield and if Hardman catches just one of those and takes it to the house, its a payoff. Wouldn't do it in PPR, but seems worth the risk in standard where big plays matter more than boring volume. 

• Like 1

He'll get some touches but it'll be gadget type plays or the in-motion end around types like we saw in pre-season. I'd be surprised if he got a significant number of looks downfield or even intermediate routes. If so, I expect them to be very short routes or bubble screen type that are essentially long handoffs to get him the ball in space.

I'm expecting 6-7 touches or so...hopefully he does enough with them that it'll get him more involved each week.

The Raiders lost Abram for what looks like the season too so they're that much thinner in the secondary. Flacco put up 268/1 on them, gotta believe Mahomes will be able to as well.

Edited by wayzupusc

13 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

How is hardman a one trick pony when he hasn't even had a chance to show anything in an actual game? 

This is a prime opportunity on pretty much the best offense in the league, if that isn't intriguing and worth a shot then I don't know what is 

At this point he is just a vertical threat. And he cant block. If you think he is worth a shot, just do it. 

An explosive playmaker in the most explosive offense in the NFL who should be seeing the field a healthy amount over the next 4-6 weeks at least, I definitely like having a share of that.

Worst case scenario:  Bench him this week to see how he is utilized now that he's part of the game plan.  If he blows up, you might have yourself a solid flex play/wr3 while Hill is out.  If he looks like an afterthought, you can move on quickly if you were already on the fence.

I have to think Andy Reid is going to draw up at least a couple of explosive plays for him this weekend.  

On 9/8/2019 at 5:48 PM, Golden Spikes said:

Hill is only going to miss a couple weeks, dont bother

Just a couple weeks, huh? What are you wanting to claim so definitively while telling others they're wrong when you don't really know what you're talking about?

Edited by ThreadKiller