NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mecole Hardman 2019 Outlook

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I’m gonna start him just so I can look like a genius when he goes off. My league mates already think I’m dumb so if he flops no loss. 

Literally all you have to think about to see the obvious upside here is Sammy Watkins injury history.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, RoseLin23 said:

And you've come across this conclusion how exactly?

Dude, just watch Georgia or preseason..it was hard for him at college level and you want him to replace Tyreek in the NFL..vertical threat at best thanks to his linear speed and nothing more..terrible route runner..and he is small and weak, gives you nothing in blocking department...great athlete but not a football player

4 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Looks as if you don't have this cat on your roster 

he is on wire in my league

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, LuckyLukas said:

Dude, just watch Georgia or preseason..it was hard for him at college level and you want him to replace Tyreek in the NFL..vertical threat at best thanks to his linear speed and nothing more..terrible route runner..and he is small and weak, gives you nothing in blocking department...great athlete but not a football player

That's a lazy take. Hardman obviously isn't a polished route runner. But he has speed to burn and thanks to his return skills he is a matchup nightmare in open space and, guess what, Andy Reid gets the ball into his playmakers hands in open space! There's a reason the Chiefs drafted him in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

Am I not correct in stating that there is just massive, massive upside here?  (There's no floor at all but I don't grab bench guys for floor.)  Recall that in the offseason when it looked like Hill would be suspended for significant time that there were many hyping Hardman as rookie pick 1.01 in dynasty.  That seemed crazy to me because I go for talent over situation in dynasty (but the class was ugly-looking so who knows) and it was all based on the idea that Hardman would definitely take the "Hill role."  Frankly, I don't think there is a "Hill role" - Hill is just a special talent and he can't be replaced with a similar fantasy option (it's a bit like handcuffing AD in his prime; you'd get carries if he went down but the Toby Gerharts of the world couldn't actually do anything) - but I cannot rule out that Hardman will get a lot of touches as "Hill lite."  Such a role could come with top 15/20 WR upside, could it not?

1 hour ago, frog34 said:

That's a lazy take. Hardman obviously isn't a polished route runner. But he has speed to burn and thanks to his return skills he is a matchup nightmare in open space and, guess what, Andy Reid gets the ball into his playmakers hands in open space! There's a reason the Chiefs drafted him in the 2nd round.

This.   They traded UP to nab Hardman.   Georgia is a running team so the fact he didn’t put up big numbers there isn’t a shock.  Or a slight on his potential.

I would caution that D Robinson might be the biggest benefactor here.    It just depends how far along they feel Mecole is.    Big upside for sure 

• Like 1

Just a reminder that Tyreek Hill wasn't a good route runner coming out of college either. In fact, he wasn't even a receiver. He played RB at Oklahoma State and pretty much every ball he caught was a go route where he just burned everyone. Nobody except Andy Reid saw him as an outside receiver in the league. 

4 hours ago, LuckyLukas said:

he is on wire in my league

Weak? that's a lazy take... the guy is 187 lbs and benched press 225 17 times at the combine. He's known to be tough after the catch. 

Sounds like to me a perfect fit for KC offense:

"Smooth ball-tracker bringing it in over his shoulder. Combines speed/quickness to uncover on all three levels. Bouncy leaper. Wiggle to elude first tackle and speed to house it. Tough runner with ball in his hands. Explosive punt-return potential, averaging a little over 20 yards per return this year. Offers gunner value on punt cover."

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, liyy1 said:

I'm starting over Fuller, Samuel, and Godwin. The Chiefs aren't one to run out the clock with a big lead.  Andy Reid - don't disappointment me!

Nah Reid has always been more of a "run out the clock when we're down 2 and out of FG range with 2 time outs" kinda guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, liyy1 said:

I'm starting over Fuller, Samuel, and Godwin. The Chiefs aren't one to run out the clock with a big lead.  Andy Reid - don't disappointment me!

I'm really thinking about rolling the dice over Larry Fitzgerald, DK Metcalf and David Montgomery in my 2nd flex. I think the upside that the others lack could be worth it.

FWIW, I got him for $3 on FAAB this week and no one else even bid. This is a league where John Ross and Hollywood Brown were DRAFTED so the wire was thin. I'm hoping he's a case of investing cheap in future performance and not paying up for past performance, as I think these are the shrewdest waiver wire moves to make early on.

It makes sense that without Hill they will game plan him in more because of his elite speed. At the very least, he's a 100% necessary speculative pick-up. Hill is missing half the season(ish) and he could be a major player within the next couple weeks.

I just picked him up to play him, massive upside/downside.  It's worth the risk to me.  It just takes 1 play for this kid to take it to the house.  I drafted him in another league.  Potential to lead all rookie WR's if this falls right in this high octane offense.

11 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Literally all you have to think about to see the obvious upside here is Sammy Watkins injury history.

Whoa, good point. If Watkins went down next game, this guy is instantly in the WR2 conversation till Tyreek returns. The odds are actually about even that Watkins misses time versus not missing time. If he’s actually talented he could be borderline WR1.