NBC Sports EDGE Forums

David Bote 2019 Outlook

coleporter

2 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Is Bote basically an every day player at this point? Can he keep up the success he's having?

Pretty much, and I don't see why not.  He's taking a decent amount of walks and doesn't strike out a lot, which is always a good combination of course.

• Like 1

I'm looking at his statcast numbers, he looks like an above average bat in every regard and it seems pretty sustainable. With how crummy 2B depth is in one of my leagues, that should be enough to make him a rosterable MI.

Looking at PT, I have to imagine he's shown to be a better hitter than Descalso and Zobrist to get the most time at 2B, and the Cubs have been playing Bryant in the OF a lot this season, which opens up 3B to Bote as well. Seems like he just has to maintain his above average pace to keep seeing regular playing time.

7 home games this week vs MIA and MIL pitching, and so far he prefers hitting at Wrigley vs the road. I might jump on board.

• 1 month later...

Feast or famine type player, as evidenced by his big game this week. His PT is getting chopped up a little bit because Cubs have a solid core and more playable guys than there are remaining lineup spots. Good chance he continues with his current trajectory, playing most days, sitting some, and hitting rough patches than end with a thunderous cloud of hitting. BUT - and here's the rub, he has enough upside if he becomes more consistent or he finds more consistent starts. He's the kind of flier we like to take in teams with 300+ player pools and ample bench spots. Much better to keep these as your last players than the CarGo types (maybe bad example, more generally - older proven guys on the down slope).

The trick with Bote is figuring out when to have him in your lineup. Many GMs will go bonkers with his 0-fers and bench him for that brilliant 4/4 homer with 7 ribs night. I got super lucky and had him starting... but it's tricky in daily leagues.

• Like 1