NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

I fell for the hype when I said I wouldn't draft this guy. Every year this happens, last year it was Royce Freeman stupid early. Disgusting usage last night, he's going to be totally useless in PPR with Davis in the mix. So many posts in this thread saying Mike Davis won't be stealing any work but it was all him last night. Did Montgomery play any third downs?  Davis would have had a touchdown too if not for a very lucky play by the Green Bay defender, the ball just hit his arm when he wasn't even looking to block the pass. I'll wait for a good game and will sell for anything, I don't care how early it is in the season. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own this dude in 6 leagues     

Save your #1.  Wait until this guy drops Kamara or  Beckham.

Nagy thinking to himself.  Hmmm, 32 personnel packages = 3 points.  If I can somehow use 288 packages this week, we should be able to score 27.  

Posted Images

Yes guys Nagy is bad but Trubisky is worse. Had the displeasure of watching him all last season as a Burton owner and the guy just flat out doesn't have it. He either throws it to his first read or just tries to run with it, he will torpedo the value of everyone on this offense for years to come. If you can get any value out of Montgomery, I'd strongly consider trading him. Not a knock on the kid or his talent, just a tough situation.

1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

Yes guys Nagy is bad but Trubisky is worse. Had the displeasure of watching him all last season as a Burton owner and the guy just flat out doesn't have it. He either throws it to his first read or just tries to run with it, he will torpedo the value of everyone on this offense for years to come. If you can get any value out of Montgomery, I'd strongly consider trading him. Not a knock on the kid or his talent, just a tough situation.

What compounds everything is that Nagy doesn't seem to get the fact that Trubisky sucks so bad.  With that defense, I'd think he'd want to control the ball more on the ground.

Also...he now has an RB1 that can catch passes.  But other than the long pass, he didn't even design a pass play for Montgomery.

What's the point of getting rid of Howard and trading up for Monty if you're just going to use him the exact same way.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I think last night was an aberration for a number of reasons.  Run / Pass ratio will not happen again this season, for example.  I dunno what Nagy was thinking.  Also, his stupid trick plays will likely be shelved for a bit, as I'm sure the media is going to kill him for the next 10 days.  Cordarelle Patterson?  WTF?

Nagy has been very pass centric despite better wisdom. They were never down by more than 1 score the entire game. That is not (usually) an abandon the run situation for most teams outside the 2 minute drill.

Nagy will probably add some wrinkles(well maybe), less rust as the season goes along, etc etc. This also unlikely to be the last game we see this type of ineptness from the Bears offense though.

Monty is talented, but this situation. Ugh. This was touched on last year with Howard. The blocking schemes and run play calls has been very un-creative under Nagy. He does not really fool a defense when it comes to runs. Can be too telegraphed.  All his creative energy and effort is in the passing game. With a QB who has a 1 read or run tendency.

3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

What compounds everything is that Nagy doesn't seem to get the fact that Trubisky sucks so bad.  With that defense, I'd think he'd want to control the ball more on the ground.

Also...he now has an RB1 that can catch passes.  But other than the long pass, he didn't even design a pass play for Montgomery.

What's the point of getting rid of Howard and trading up for Monty if you're just going to use him the exact same way.

It's a bad coach/OC making the QB look worse and a bad qb making his coach look worse. As someone said in another thread, they deserve each other.

• Like 1

"He moved up to draft him. He's Nagys guy"

"Jordan howard was trash that's why he didn't get any passing work"

"Mike Davis is an afterthought"

"The problem isn't nagy it was the talent at RB he's had"

"The coaches all love him and he's great in the passing game he'll get all the volume he can handle"

Outsnapped and out-targeted by Davis and Cohen by a significant margin. I HOPE better days are ahead but it's time to admit Nagy is trash and will lower Montgomery's ceiling until further notice

• Like 3
On 9/4/2019 at 11:33 AM, ThunderDan said:

This is a HUGE game for the Bears.  First game of the season, home game versus Green Bay.  There will be no easing in.  Someone above me said that this time next week, we're going to be viewing Monty as an RB1.  And I agree completely.  Start with  confidence.  Also, all this "Nagy is a moron" stuff is way, WAY overblown.  True, he made some curious decisions last year, particularly with the lead.  But for every example of Nagy calling a zone read for Mitch in short yardage situation, I can find you 5 where he handed it to Howard to run into Kyle Long for no gain.  Everyone remembers the exceptions, no one remembers when Nagy "did what he's supposed to do."  Nagy committed to Howard, and Howard failed.  Expect a similar commitment to a more talented back this year, with much better results.

SoulfulDisgustingIslandwhistler-max-1mb.

• Haha 7
1 minute ago, Guwop said:

"He moved up to draft him. He's Nagys guy"

"Jordan howard was trash that's why he didn't get any passing work"

"Mike Davis is an afterthought"

"The problem isn't nagy it was the talent at RB he's had"

"The coaches all love him and he's great in the passing game he'll get all the volume he can handle"

Outsnapped and out-targeted by Davis and Cohen by a significant margin. I HOPE better days are ahead but it's time to admit Nagy is trash and will lower Montgomery's ceiling until further notice

I'd still rather have Nagy than Fox or Trestman as coach.

7 minutes ago, Bastardo! said:

Guy went first overall in our dynasty draft, and I got Devin Singletary at 1.10. 

Think I would rather have Devin Singletary . . .

Frank Gore is considered the starter.

Its the same situation; 3 running backs competing for touches. We'll have to see how the weeks pan out with both Montgomery and Singletary.

3 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

It's a bad coach/OC making the QB look worse and a bad qb making his coach look worse. As someone said in another thread, they deserve each other.

I don't know how Nagy can look at what he has (great D, shaky QB) and not think he needs to run the ball more.

• Thanks 1

People keep saying Montgomery is explosive.  I disagree.  He definitely does not look like a big play runner.

What he does look like is a grinder supreme.  Makes something out of nothing.  Moves the chains.  Didn't 2 out of his 6 runs go for first downs, when he didn't look like he was going to make it?  Certainly the blocking wasn't good and it was all him.

He's gonna need volume to be good, because I don't see him breaking long runs on limited touches.  He might have to get his big plays through the air, and Cohen is there.

I would hold for now but if Davis doesn't go away soon, this might be a bust.  Sorry guys.

• Like 2

Every year it's picks like this that torpedo fantasy teams, people reach for running backs with uncertain usage or injury prone. This guy went early 3rd in my league and the next picks were Carson, Godwin and Diggs. Just don't get it.

And people got burned by the coach-speak again, just like with Howard last year when Nagy said he was going to be "heavily involved in the passing game" and ofcourse wasn't. I think with this coach, this QB and the continued usage of Cohen in the passing game that Bears backs are going to be a nightmare to draft for the next few years. And Mike Davis must be excellent in pass protection or something, he had a role in Seattle last year and clearly is going to have one in Chicago. 

• Like 1

I've never understood what the delay in getting the talented rookie RB playing time is. I saw this with the has been Chris Johnson getting all the carries in David Johnson's rookie year even though DJ was seemingly taking it to the house every play. We saw it last year with Chubb. This is why I hated the third round price Montgomery was demanding in my league. I'd love him in the 5th but the third is just too early for a rookie in an unknown situation. He's gonna be a stud for sure. I'm a little concerned about Trubisky but it's not time to panic yet. My gut say's they get Montgomery going next week but who knows.

• Like 1
On 9/4/2019 at 12:54 PM, ajs723 said:

Ha! As a Bears fan, I would have been tearing my hair out, again. 

If you aren't a Bears fan, you have no idea how great it feels to finally have a competent, modern NFL offense. Jury is still out on the QB, IMO, but Nagy knows what he's doing. 

Yea...about that 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, RepoMan said:

Every year it's picks like this that torpedo fantasy teams, people reach for running backs with uncertain usage or injury prone. This guy went early 3rd in my league and the next picks were Carson, Godwin and Diggs. Just don't get it.

And people got burned by the coach-speak again, just like with Howard last year when Nagy said he was going to be "heavily involved in the passing game" and ofcourse wasn't. I think with this coach, this QB and the continued usage of Cohen in the passing game that Bears backs are going to be a nightmare to draft for the next few years. And Mike Davis must be excellent in pass protection or something, he had a role in Seattle last year and clearly is going to have one in Chicago. 

Accurate. This is all on nagy

Edited by Guwop