Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own this dude in 6 leagues     

Save your #1.  Wait until this guy drops Kamara or  Beckham.

Nagy thinking to himself.  Hmmm, 32 personnel packages = 3 points.  If I can somehow use 288 packages this week, we should be able to score 27.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, pfresh said:

how did he look?

 

most rushing attempts than cohen and davis combined. hope they keep feeding him 

 

Much better than last week. As long as he gets the opportunity everything will be fine. Just hope this usage pattern continues

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Usage is good but you have to be concerned with what you saw. Let's be honest, he didn't look that good. Whether that's due to Trubisky being a non-threat, a poor o-line, or just Dmont himself, it's irrelevant. 

He dances too much in the backfield for my liking and while I wouldn't call him a plodder, I wouldn't call him fast either. 

I also hate all of those runs out of the shotgun. Reminds me of Chip Kelly ruining Demarco Murray. 

We'll see going forward. 
 

Edited by Gandalfthecat
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Usage is good but you have to be concerned with what you saw. Let's be honest, he didn't look that good. Whether that's due to Trubisky being a non-threat, a poor o-line, or just Dmont himself, it's irrelevant. 

He dances too much in the backfield for my liking and while I wouldn't call him a plodder, I wouldn't call him fast either. 

I also hate all of those runs out of the shotgun. Reminds me of Chip Kelly ruining Demarco Murray. 

We'll see going forward. 
 

 

Interesting how 2 people can see the same game so differently.  I thought he looked sharp with decisive moves and jump cuts.   Davis would come in and the difference was immediately noticeable.  Good power too-  with no mistakes.   This was a tough battle in a place few opponents look their best.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Usage is good but you have to be concerned with what you saw. Let's be honest, he didn't look that good. Whether that's due to Trubisky being a non-threat, a poor o-line, or just Dmont himself, it's irrelevant. 

He dances too much in the backfield for my liking and while I wouldn't call him a plodder, I wouldn't call him fast either. 

I also hate all of those runs out of the shotgun. Reminds me of Chip Kelly ruining Demarco Murray. 

We'll see going forward. 
 

At least he go the work.  Thats a huge positive.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was keyed in on the other late games so didn't see much of this one.....good to see Monty get more of the workload but 3.4 YPC isn't great and it took a TD to keep his day from being a disaster.

 

That said, I still think he's clearly Chicago's best back. I just worry about Nagy coming up with goofy gameplans like Week 1 vs. Green Bay. Hopefully, we see a breakout performance against a Redskins D next week that gave up 111 to Zeke and over 200 on the ground in total.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering why there were so many posts in this thread already, but then I saw half of them were just two people arguing.

 

Anyways, I did not really watch much but I did see him get stuffed inside the 5 yard line 4 times in a row before finally punching it in. I am not sure if I should be happy he kept getting the ball or disappointed it took him so many tries to get in in. Either way it is an improvement from last week and if he continues to get similar amount of touches, things should be looking. Of course who knows how they will use him next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheJRod2006 said:

I was keyed in on the other late games so didn't see much of this one.....good to see Monty get more of the workload but 3.4 YPC isn't great and it took a TD to keep his day from being a disaster.

 

That said, I still think he's clearly Chicago's best back. I just worry about Nagy coming up with goofy gameplans like Week 1 vs. Green Bay. Hopefully, we see a breakout performance against a Redskins D next week that gave up 111 to Zeke and over 200 on the ground in total.

I did not get to watch the game but I did follow the gamecast and it looked like his YPC was much better prior to the goal-line opportunities. He took a couple of no-gains or even losses and then when he did convert, it was a 1 yard run. So take it FWIW. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's remember too that he wasn't playing against a lame defense.  Denver's D is pretty good.  Even though it took a few tries, the fact that they stuck with him at the goal line is a great sign.  I just hope Nagy sticks to this plan (using Montgomery as the clear lead back) going forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Usage is good but you have to be concerned with what you saw. Let's be honest, he didn't look that good. Whether that's due to Trubisky being a non-threat, a poor o-line, or just Dmont himself, it's irrelevant. 

He dances too much in the backfield for my liking and while I wouldn't call him a plodder, I wouldn't call him fast either. 

I also hate all of those runs out of the shotgun. Reminds me of Chip Kelly ruining Demarco Murray. 

We'll see going forward. 
 

It's called playing for a coach that is as good at having a running scheme as Jeff Fisher was at having a passing scheme. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of how many points Monty scored, his owners should be very very happy with yesterday's game.  He's clearly the lead back (at least on the ground) now.  That was the big fear coming out of week 1.  Mike Davis was nowhere to be found.  Bodes well for his season.  If he gets touches like he did yesterday, he should be able to outperform what Jordan Howard did in the same role and provide solid RB2 numbers.

Edited by Brownsfan74
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Regardless of how many points Monty scored, his owners should be very very happy with yesterday's game.  He's clearly the lead back (at least on the ground) now.  That was the big fear coming out of week 1.  Mike Davis was nowhere to be found.  Bodes well for his season.  If he gets touches like he did yesterday, he should be able to outperform what Jordan Howard did in the same role and provide solid RB2 numbers.

Eh. Week to week Nagy is up and down like no other. The issue is he abandons the run in an instant. They still got the Chargers, Eagles, Packers, Rams, Cowboys, and Chiefs. Along with the Vikings who have a very good defense. I can see Nagy completely going away from running the ball in all those games. The dude has a serious issue of playing to the opponents game and tempo. A team like Seattle forces the other team to play to their pace and tempo by pounding the rock which is what Chicago should do with their roster. However, Nagy tries to one up these coaches that can actually throw the ball.

I don't think Monty is going to turn out to be a bad pick just ridiculously frustrating to own. Hopefully they fire their excuse for a coach because i'd love to own him. He looks extremely fun to watch.

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Eh. Week to week Nagy is up and down like no other. The issue is he abandons the run in an instant. They still got the Chargers, Eagles, Packers, Rams, Cowboys, and Chiefs. Along with the Vikings who have a very good defense. I can see Nagy completely going away from running the ball in all those games. The dude has a serious issue of playing to the opponents game and tempo. A team like Seattle forces the other team to play to their pace and tempo by pounding the rock which is what Chicago should do with their roster. However, Nagy tries to one up these coaches that can actually throw the ball.

I don't think Monty is going to turn out to be a bad pick just ridiculously frustrating to own. Hopefully they fire their excuse for a coach because i'd love to own him. He looks extremely fun to watch.

 

Totally possible, but I think Monty owners are glad to see that it's at least possible for Monty to have a heavy usage game.  After week 1, we had no idea if Monty was going to be stuck in an ugly timeshare all season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Eh. Week to week Nagy is up and down like no other. The issue is he abandons the run in an instant. They still got the Chargers, Eagles, Packers, Rams, Cowboys, and Chiefs. Along with the Vikings who have a very good defense. I can see Nagy completely going away from running the ball in all those games. The dude has a serious issue of playing to the opponents game and tempo. A team like Seattle forces the other team to play to their pace and tempo by pounding the rock which is what Chicago should do with their roster. However, Nagy tries to one up these coaches that can actually throw the ball.

I don't think Monty is going to turn out to be a bad pick just ridiculously frustrating to own. Hopefully they fire their excuse for a coach because i'd love to own him. He looks extremely fun to watch.

This.  Nagy is a former QB who does not prioritize running the ball unless he has no other choice.  With Mitch at QB, he should finally realize this but who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brownsfan74 said:

 

Totally possible, but I think Monty owners are glad to see that it's at least possible for Monty to have a heavy usage game.  After week 1, we had no idea if Monty was going to be stuck in an ugly timeshare all season.

 

Bingo.    It’s not as dire as some are making it out.   Jordan Howard had double digit carries in 15/16 games last season.   Now that we’ve seen Monty is the lead back-  he’s going to get steady work.    We drafted Monty under the premise he was a real talent, right?  Cream will rise given opportunity 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

 

Totally possible, but I think Monty owners are glad to see that it's at least possible for Monty to have a heavy usage game.  After week 1, we had no idea if Monty was going to be stuck in an ugly timeshare all season.

Last year Howard had 6 games with at least 18 carries. Of course it is possible Nagy did it last year. The problem is their run scheme is utterly abysmal. I can not stress how bad it is. Just watch their games and you will see what I mean. It doesn't take a genius to figure out when they will run and they use no real blocking schemes on runs. 

So this means getting great YPC is difficult. Which means you NEED that volume. Monty is also never going to be a 3 down back. Nagy has an obsession with gadget players and Cohen is not going away. The floor is just so low because of this. Most good backs can still put up solid numbers with 10-13 carries. With this situation it's not going to happen. You're going to get 12/35/0 and 2/10/0.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Last year Howard had 6 games with at least 18 carries. Of course it is possible Nagy did it last year. The problem is their run scheme is utterly abysmal. I can not stress how bad it is. Just watch their games and you will see what I mean. It doesn't take a genius to figure out when they will run and they use no real blocking schemes on runs. 

So this means getting great YPC is difficult. Which means you NEED that volume. Monty is also never going to be a 3 down back. Nagy has an obsession with gadget players and Cohen is not going away. The floor is just so low because of this. Most good backs can still put up solid numbers with 10-13 carries. With this situation it's not going to happen. You're going to get 12/35/0 and 2/10/0.

 

Earlier in the thread, this was all broken down.  If Montgomery gets the same amount of touches as Howard did last year, he should be an RB2.  Howard was very inefficient last year and still produced RB2 numbers.  Hard to imagine Montgomery doing any worse.  The big concern was Monty not even getting those touches, being in a timeshare with Mike Davis.  That appears (at least for one game) not to be the case anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

 

Earlier in the thread, this was all broken down.  If Montgomery gets the same amount of touches as Howard did last year, he should be an RB2.  Howard was very inefficient last year and still produced RB2 numbers.  Hard to imagine Montgomery doing any worse.  The big concern was Monty not even getting those touches, being in a timeshare with Mike Davis.  That appears (at least for one game) not to be the case anymore.

I remember having a similar discussion in the Doug Baldwin thread a few years ago.

He finished fairly high. Either low end WR1 or high end WR2. The problem is, he was terrible for a good chunk of the season so during a few of his blow up games he was likely benched. Then he would be put into the lineup only to suck again. Basically, ridiculously inconsistent to the point where he was just frustrating to own and deciding when to start him was a headache.

Monty can fall into the same sitaution. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

I remember having a similar discussion in the Doug Baldwin thread a few years ago.

He finished fairly high. Either low end WR1 or high end WR2. The problem is, he was terrible for a good chunk of the season so during a few of his blow up games he was likely benched. Then he would be put into the lineup only to suck again. Basically, ridiculously inconsistent to the point where he was just frustrating to own and deciding when to start him was a headache.

Monty can fall into the same sitaution. 

 

Oh I agree.  Those are the hardest players to own and if that's your concern, I'm not going to argue.  All I'm trying to say is that Monty's outlook took a big step forward from where it was week 1, where he looked like he could be even droppable.  If we saw an even split of touches between Davis and Monty yesterday, he is bench fodder at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShowStopper said:

Montgomery is an absolute beast. If you think otherwise you need to get your eyes checked 

The problem, OL, QB, Coach have been 🗑. If he keeps getting touches, it’s got to improve.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...