David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own this dude in 6 leagues     

Save your #1.  Wait until this guy drops Kamara or  Beckham.

Nagy thinking to himself.  Hmmm, 32 personnel packages = 3 points.  If I can somehow use 288 packages this week, we should be able to score 27.  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, jwilsonxo said:

What happened to just simply imposing your will on defenses and running the ball down the opponents throat? I don't understand this new NFL s--- where coaches just want to get cute with everything. RUN THE BALL.

Dallas rushed for over 200 yards on Washington in week 2. That is obviously their weakness. The gameplan should be that simple. Jesus christ

/rant

With the D and QB they have they should be the most run heavy team in the NFL

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It's not just Nagy.  People keep talking about the "talent". What are you seeing? He had one good play yesterday and it came in basically garbage time. 
Having said that, I do hate Nagy's schemes and I hate all the runs out of the shotgun. 

He's one of the busts of the year at his ADP. 

Edited by Gandalfthecat
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

It's not just Nagy.  People keep talking about the "talent". What are you seeing? He had one good play yesterday and it came in basically garbage time. 
Having said that, I do hate Nagy's schemes and I hate all the runs out of the shotgun. 

But Booger said last night they're really good and have Super Bowl aspirations?

Usual rotoworld. You make the mistake in drafting Montgomery things doesn’t go well, so we blame Mike Nagy. You blamed Nagy last year with his unusual usage of Jordan Howard this year we have Montgomery. I see a pattern. 

51 minutes ago, jwilsonxo said:

Dallas rushed for over 200 yards on Washington in week 2. That is obviously their weakness. The gameplan should be that simple. Jesus christ

David Montgomery is not Zeke Elliot and you have to believe there is a big difference in the offensive line. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jwilsonxo said:

What happened to just simply imposing your will on defenses and running the ball down the opponents throat? I don't understand this new NFL s--- where coaches just want to get cute with everything. RUN THE BALL.

/rant

You mean old school meathead ball?

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

I hate the changes that Nagy calls in (assume it's Nagy) to Trubisky after they line up.   It's seriously like an overzealous dad coaching his QB son and thinking he's a superstar and can run any play in the world. 

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

He had at least two good runs on that final drive. It was far from garbage time as WSH at least made it interesting at the end. And yet, even with the defense fully expecting the run, Monty had his best runs. 

He has looked good in limited action thus far. Nobody is claiming him to be the next Gurley, Zeke, Saquon, etc. but he is very talented in his own right. 

Also this:

And in regards to being the biggest bust, it has only been THREE games, so we should probably not rush to judgement. He is currently around the top 25 backs in PPR with extremely limited usage. You have to expect he only sees more volume going forward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

He had at least two good runs on that final drive. It was far from garbage time as WSH at least made it interesting at the end. And yet, even with the defense fully expecting the run, Monty had his best runs. 

He has looked good in limited action thus far. Nobody is claiming him to be the next Gurley, Zeke, Saquon, etc. but he is very talented in his own right. 

Also this:

And in regards to being the biggest bust, it has only been THREE games, so we should probably not rush to judgement. He is currently around the top 25 backs in PPR with extremely limited usage. You have to PRAY he only sees more volume going forward. 

Fixed one word for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Also this:

And in regards to being the biggest bust, it has only been THREE games, so we should probably not rush to judgement. He is currently around the top 25 backs in PPR with extremely limited usage. You have to expect he only sees more volume going forward. 

If you were dealing with a sensible coach then you would absolutely expect more volume going forward. Unfortunately we're not. So, any expectation that Montgomery will provide more useful than he has already been is a complete leap of faith. I expect more of the same -- a TD dependent RB that doesn't get reliable goal-line carries either because the offense stinks or because Nagy decides he'd rather throw the ball a bunch from the 1 that day.

3 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Fixed one word for you. 

I get it. Nagy makes it concerning, always. 

But unless he starts fumbling, missing pass protection assignments, or is flat our unproductive, you have to think he is just giving him the rookie treatment initially and will increase his usage as the season goes on. 

Honestly, this should have been somewhat expected with him being eased in. Albeit not to this level and especially with the game-scripts Nagy has been afforded, but still.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TedStriker said:

If you were dealing with a sensible coach then you would absolutely expect more volume going forward. Unfortunately we're not. So, any expectation that Montgomery will provide more useful than he has already been is a complete leap of faith. I expect more of the same -- a TD dependent RB that doesn't get reliable goal-line carries either because the offense stinks or because Nagy decides he'd rather throw the ball a bunch from the 1 that day.

Jordan Howard--arguably a lesser talent and worse fit for Nagy's offense-- had 250 carries last season. So even as questionable as Nagy's play-calling is, things should eventually balance out over the course of the season. 

You know whats comical they have the worst QB in the division and are throwing way too much.. Vikings have Theilen Diggs etc running like mad men.. Packers have Rodgers and a top 5ish WR being methodical ( although I expect that to change).. This guy ( Nagy)  doesn't have top ten talent or even fifteen talent at any skills position on the offensive side of the ball but finds the need to throw it with the best defense in football. To go along with a QB whose only capable of making a handful of throws I still can't comprehend why this isn't a run first offense.. Then on top of all this he calls these quirky plays like Cordarrelle Patterson rushes up the gut if he called one end around for him fine. This offense is pathetic they scored because the defense put them in laughable field positions, Trubisky made one throw to Gabriel everything else was trash.

Edited by NyZD
  • Like 1

I laughed so hard when he took out Monty after he got a first down, only to run Cohen up the middle.

Yeah lets take out our 230 lb rookie stud RB and put in the smallest runningback in the NFL to rush up the middle.

2 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

I get it. Nagy makes it concerning, always. 

But unless he starts fumbling, missing pass protection assignments, or is flat our unproductive, you have to think he is just giving him the rookie treatment initially and will increase his usage as the season goes on. 

Honestly, this should have been somewhat expected with him being eased in. Albeit not to this level and especially with the game-scripts Nagy has been afforded, but still.

I really hope you're right but Nagy is such a rare breed that nothing sensible ever seems to come to fruition with this guy when it comes to calling a game. After week 2 it appeared we were turning the corner with Monty and then he took a pretty significant step back. He had 4 carries going into the 4th quarter I believe and Patterson has now emerged as a ball carrier. Good luck predicting that.

1 minute ago, n4sa said:

I laughed so hard when he took out Monty after he got a first down, only to run Cohen up the middle.

Yeah lets take out our 230 lb rookie stud RB and put in the smallest runningback in the NFL to rush up the middle.

You know, there's a song called "Monty Got a Raw Deal". Seems appropriate. 

27 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Also this:

I just don't know if that last part is true. The Bears just won doing exactly what that freak Nagy wants to do. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nate1213 said:

Debating trading Thielen for Montgomery and Darell Williams. Should I turn around? A lot of doom and gloom going on in here. 

Save yourself the “torture.” Doom and gloom city, great talent but coaching hinders his value a ton.

One thought I had prior to the game was the RT was out with vertigo. I wonder if Nagy might have gone pass heavy from the jump since this was the case? Probably not but I did wonder how things would go without the starting RT.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, mjb said:

One thought I had prior to the game was the RT was out with vertigo. I wonder if Nagy might have gone pass heavy from the jump since this was the case? Probably not but I did wonder how things would go without the starting RT.

We can try all we want to find a logical reason as to why the game played out the way it did, but at the end of the day, it’s just Nagy. He’s a f--- face. Life will remain miserable as long as he and Trashbinsky are here. Like I said, get me off this train. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Wow that's the first time I've heard that lol.  Thank you.  

I still use the Jordan Howard 2018 volume baseline.  Those games were ugly and infuriating, but he still avg 15+ touches per game.  Now they were winning most weeks and Nagy still did his "look I can make Mitch good" garbage, but Montgomery is a better runner and receiver. Unlike last year, they have a brutal schedule which is guaranteed to expose Mitch.  I still think he's a buy low especially after last nights game.

So... you didn't have Jordan Howard in 2018?

• Haha 1