NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

5 minutes ago, kobeselbow said:

Nagy is an absolute moron.  You don't know what's going on with your run game??  Maybe 7 attempts wasn't the way to go genius.  Maybe lining up your RB next to your QB in the shotgun formation wasn't the way to go.  Maybe realize that you suck at scheming properly on offense.   Power football!!  Get your head out of your a**..... this guy should honestly be fired!!  He doesn't have a clue.  I just want you see one full game where he lines Montgomery up in the power I or I formation for 20 runs and see what he can do then.   If he still doesn't do anything thereafter...... then its definitely Montgomery.  Their scheme, their O-line, their coach...... not doing Montgomery any favors to succeed. Its that simple!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own this dude in 6 leagues     

Save your #1.  Wait until this guy drops Kamara or  Beckham.

Nagy thinking to himself.  Hmmm, 32 personnel packages = 3 points.  If I can somehow use 288 packages this week, we should be able to score 27.  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, panthers528 said:

Nagy is an absolute moron.  You don't know what's going on with your run game??  Maybe 7 attempts wasn't the way to go genius.  Maybe lining up your RB next to your QB in the shotgun formation wasn't the way to go.  Maybe realize that you suck at scheming properly on offense.   Power football!!  Get your head out of your a**..... this guy should honestly be fired!!  He doesn't have a clue.  I just want you see one full game where he lines Montgomery up in the power I or I formation for 20 runs and see what he can do then.   If he still doesn't do anything thereafter...... then its definitely Montgomery.  Their scheme, their O-line, their coach...... not doing Montgomery any favors to succeed. Its that simple!!

*Mike Ditka has entered the chat*

HELL YES! 

BEAR THE F DOWN!

🐻

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nagy - “I really thought our run game would be better,” Nagy said. “The attempts-wise … the run game early on, just not a lot there, so then you go to throwing the ball a little bit, got a little bit going, and then the start of the third quarter we had a fumble, and you just say -- it’s just one of those days. But for us, it’s been one of those weeks.

I don't even know what the bolded is supposed to mean. 

And the comment, "so then you go to throwing the ball a little bit".   So maddening. 

He needs to address how crappy his QB is.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, kobeselbow said:

He does realize they threw for 251 yards on FIFTY-FOUR passing attempts right? How can he possibly look at that game and say it was the run game that wasn’t working? The entire offense wasn’t working because the game plan and run/pass schemes are trash. 

251 passing yards on 54 attempts = 4.65 yards per pass attempt

But it was the running game wasn’t working so they abandoned it for their highly productive passing game.

Good grief this guy is an ignorant clown. 

Edited by gufomel
  • Thanks 1

As someone who used a top 5 rookie pick on Monty, the question isn't whether it's going to happen this year (it isn't), the question is whether it's going to happen ever. 

Nagy isn't going to get fired, and the Bears could easily sign someone this offseason. Monty could never amount to more than an uninspiring committee back. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

As someone who used a top 5 rookie pick on Monty, the question isn't whether it's going to happen this year (it isn't), the question is whether it's going to happen ever. 

Nagy isn't going to get fired, and the Bears could easily sign someone this offseason. Monty could never amount to more than an uninspiring committee back. 

QFT!

14 minutes ago, gufomel said:

He does realize they threw for 251 yards on FIFTY-FOUR passing attempts right? How can he possibly look at that game and say it was the run game that wasn’t working? The entire offense wasn’t working because the game plan and run/pass schemes are trash. 

251 passing yards on 54 attempts = 4.65 yards per pass attempt

But it was the running game wasn’t working so they abandoned it for their highly productive passing game.

Good grief this guy is an ignorant clown. 

It's kind of confirmation to his idiocy and ignorance.

He's only seeing what he wants to. 

38 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

This is the 2018 Jordan Howard thread all over again. Nagy is trash and limits his RB's production more than any coach in the league. 

Stop. Just stop it. This is soooo much worse. 

Through 7 games last year, Howard was top 12 in rushing attempts. Literally one carry behind Melvin Gordon. 

Through 7 games this year, Montgomery is 28th in rushing attempts. 

People got mad at Nagy because Howard wasn't productive last year. But he got tons of volume. Montgomery got 2 carries last game. 

42 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Stop. Just stop it. This is soooo much worse. 

Through 7 games last year, Howard was top 12 in rushing attempts. Literally one carry behind Melvin Gordon. 

Through 7 games this year, Montgomery is 28th in rushing attempts. 

People got mad at Nagy because Howard wasn't productive last year. But he got tons of volume. Montgomery got 2 carries last game. 

This is what I don’t get. They at least used Howard but then trade him away Howard for a 6th round pick. They trade up in the 3rd round to get Montgomery, and then just don’t use use him.

No use trying to figure it out though. The answer his Nagy is a clown. 

CBS say's Monty is a start this week. 

This feels like a squeaky wheel game for Montgomery after what happened to the Bears in Week 7 against the Saints, and then what coach Matt Nagy said following the game. On Monday, Nagy said in a news conference, "I know we need to run the ball more. I'm not an idiot." This was after Chicago had just seven running plays in a loss to New Orleans at home. Montgomery has been a disappointment so far this season, including the past two games against Oakland and New Orleans when he combined for 13 carries for 31 yards and a touchdown, as well as three catches for 24 yards. He needs more work, and he needs to get into a rhythm. We'll see if that happens this week against the Chargers, who have allowed four touchdowns to running backs in the past three games. I can understand your trepidation to play him this week, but I would stick with him as at least a No. 2 running back in all formats.

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, weakkneeswilly said:

CBS say's Monty is a start this week. 

This feels like a squeaky wheel game for Montgomery after what happened to the Bears in Week 7 against the Saints, and then what coach Matt Nagy said following the game. On Monday, Nagy said in a news conference, "I know we need to run the ball more. I'm not an idiot." This was after Chicago had just seven running plays in a loss to New Orleans at home. Montgomery has been a disappointment so far this season, including the past two games against Oakland and New Orleans when he combined for 13 carries for 31 yards and a touchdown, as well as three catches for 24 yards. He needs more work, and he needs to get into a rhythm. We'll see if that happens this week against the Chargers, who have allowed four touchdowns to running backs in the past three games. I can understand your trepidation to play him this week, but I would stick with him as at least a No. 2 running back in all formats.

LOL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, panthers528 said:

🙏, this needed to be said!! Nagy might be the worst NFL coach, dare we say all time. Bears are a train wreck wasting a team people thought would make the playoffs and potentially  SB😢.

12 minutes ago, mjb said:

🙏, this needed to be said!! Nagy might be the worst NFL coach, dare we say all time. Bears are a train wreck wasting a team people thought would make the playoffs and potentially  SB😢.

Nagy isn't even close to the worst coach in football.  He's in his sophomore year with the toughest schedule in all of football.  So teams are making adjustments and the better teams make better adjustments and they make them faster.  Factor in Mitch not playing in the preseason (yes a dumb move on Nagy's part) as well as the injury causing him to miss basically 2 games so far and he's behind in the learning curve (which he already had limited game experience in college).  Factor in Kyle Long's annual vacation to the IR and Hicks being out there are a ton of things working against Nagy and The Bears right now.  This is especially compounded by the mood in Chicago is turning on Mitch as people are starting to be upset he isn't Mahomes or Watson (the same people that talked trash to me when I said Pace should have been fired for trading up 1 pick for the #3 QB)

The Bears were honestly never in that game last week.  New Orleans is a vastly under rated team with an even more under rated defense.  

So while David Montgomery while he's shown some flashes I will say he isn't even worth rostering in fantasy.  No Kyle Long is no good.  The Bears need to start drawing up some more creative ways to run anyway.  Plus it would be  nice if Mitch could read an RPO!!

Edited by FouLLine
3 hours ago, weakkneeswilly said:

"I know we need to run the ball more. I'm not an idiot."

This quote is why I think we give Montgomery one more shot.  If Nagy abandons the run again prematurely, he knows this quote is going to be shoved in his face.  Just on that alone, I see him sticking with the run and not losing patience.

• Haha 1

To save his a**, the Bears will be running more in this next game. The problem is, Nagy isn’t completely wrong in saying the running game wasn’t working. I know he abandoned the run way too prematurely... but you have to understand, he sees their running game every day in practice (along with the other inefficient games they’ve had running). He also knew the Saints were a run stuffing football team. When he started off the game getting stuffed in the run, he probably thought “I had a feeling this wouldn’t work” and then assumed they had to try and win with trickery and pass plays. I see where’s he’s coming from in that regard. 

The reason I bring this up as a Montgomery owner, is even though they will run the rock more this week, I’m worried that they really suck at running the football. Trubisky looks awful, so they won’t extend drives through the passing game either. Even worse, teams now know they can shut down the run and not worry about Trubisky beating them through the air. To top this all off, I’m not fully convinced Montgomery is the player we thought he would be. You can see his tenacity and ability to pick up tough yards, but he seems to lack the speed to make up for poor offensive scheming and blocking. And let’s not forget about Cohen stealing a few carries.. oh and Patterson could find a bigger role in the running game.

it all really turns me off, and the stars really have to align to make him more than a low end RB3/FLEX, even in his better games. 

3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Nagy isn't even close to the worst coach in football.

Sure he is. Who's worse? Marrone, Kitchens, Lafleur, that's probably it. The Bears had a clearly competent Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen can change the pace better than just about any running back in the league, Trey Burton is one of the more talented tight ends in the NFL, and Allen Robinson shouldn't be disappearing more often than not, and Anthony Miller shouldn't be completely wasted. They absolutely have the tools to field at least a below-average offense, yet they're a ******** joke. Nagy is a horrible coach.