NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarren Duran - OF Bos

The guy is hitting .407 in A+ and currently sits at 9 steals on the season. He hit .357 with a .910 ops last season in 67 games only striking out 48 times. The babip is high and should definitely come down a bit but I think there might be a gem here. He certainly has the speed to put up great stolen base numbers and a little pop in the bat too which could see him hit maybe 10-15 a year. Jacoby Ellsbury 2.0?

• Like 1
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buddy, I've been married for 16 years. I am so prepared!

I’m not going to add eyeballs because I’ve been wrong more times than I count on his call up but he’s out of the lineup tonight. I’m not sure why he’d be given a night off considering Worcester didn’t

So my parents have  ranch out in Wooded Acres Virginia which is about 5 mins away from Salem Virginia where the HIA Salem red Sox play. I came out here to visit them and i bought tickets to their last

Posted Images

He was a seventh round pick out of college last year so at 22 years old he may just be old for A+ ball. But 404 is a great average he is pretty much in second to Luis Robert in every stat in the Carolina League. 9 SB and 9 Walks and 23 Runs is great for a guy batting 404. But 8 RBI stand out plus just 1 HR in 22 games. As a Red Sox player he may get the bias hype like a Jackie Bradley Jr once he scoots up a level. 

Definitely a big fan of this guy's game and very encouraged by the improved BB rate so far in high A. BABIP is crazy high but there are good skills here. Dont see really high upside but definitely potential big leaguer. 

• 4 weeks later...

So my parents have  ranch out in Wooded Acres Virginia which is about 5 mins away from Salem Virginia where the HIA Salem red Sox play. I came out here to visit them and i bought tickets to their last 5 games including the one im at now.

The main reason I bought the tickets for the 1st 2 games were because i had to see Daniel Lynch (one of my favorite pitchers from last year's draft after Logan Gilbert) and Brady Singer the following day. But i kept coming the following games just to see more of Jurran Duran. Kid has one of the best hit tools I have seen in a long time in person.  Possibly the best since I watched Mookie Betts. 

But like Betts, the thing about Duran isn't just his 70+ grade hit tool, or even his double plus speed. It's his under the radar raw power. He's not a small kid (I believe he's about 6'3 right now). He's an XBH machine. Last season in a little more then 250 ABs he hit 13 doubles along with 11 triples. I guess you could thank his elite speed for that too but he crushes these deep gap shots that are reminiscent of what Betts did in the minors before his raw power translated into in game power.

Duran is extremely exciting to watch and I believe this kid is a future fantasy star. I am not saying hes the next mookie betts. But I went to a lot of lower level mookie betts games and saw his transition right before my eyes. I see the same thing happening with Duran except he's a bit older then Betts at the time. Ive been watching prospects since 1979  as a kid with my dad. ive seen a lot come thru.  Duran is legit!

Edited by My Roy Williams Tramp Stam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
1 hour ago, My Roy Williams Tramp Stam said:

So my parents have  ranch out in Wooded Acres Virginia which is about 5 mins away from Salem Virginia where the HIA Salem red Sox play. I came out here to visit them and i bought tickets to their last 5 games including the one im at now.

The main reason I bought the tickets for the 1st 2 games were because i had to see Daniel Lynch (one of my favorite pitchers from last year's draft after Logan Gilbert) and Brady Singer the following day. But i kept coming the following games just to see more of Jurran Duran. Kid has one of the best hit tools I have seen in a long time in person.  Possibly the best since I watched Mookie Betts. 

But like Betts, the thing about Duran isn't just his 70+ grade hit tool, or even his double plus speed. It's his under the radar raw power. He's not a small kid (I believe he's about 6'3 right now). He's an XBH machine. Last season in a little more then 250 ABs he hit 13 doubles along with 11 triples. I guess you could thank his elite speed for that too but he crushes these deep gap shots that are reminiscent of what Betts did in the minors before his raw power translated into in game power.

Duran is extremely exciting to watch and I believe this kid is a future fantasy star. I am not saying hes the next mookie betts. But I went to a lot of lower level mookie betts games and saw his transition right before my eyes. I see the same thing happening with Duran except he's a bit older then Betts at the time. Ive been watching prospects since 1979  as a kid with my dad. ive seen a lot come thru.  Duran is legit!

What a great post.   

so lets keep this on the down low. I had Mookie at one point. I traded him away for pieces I needed. I won a championship that year so it was worth it, but ..... 

i see him listed as on OF here and on milb.com. CBS has him listed as a 2B. The Salem Redsox list him as an OF as well.. CBS being dumb or we looking at multiple position eligibility too?

and for keeping him on the down low... he is currently the lead story on MILB... 

44 games into the season and the guy is still blistering hot. Average is now .415 with 17 steals, 13 doubles, 3 triples, and 2 home runs. If you haven't invested yet the window could be closing soon.

Edited by Osu1456
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Waltwhite said:

Duran has been called up to AA today.

Ellsbury a good comparison? (The good one,lol)

Yes, that is a good one for me.  Duran might have a bit more power (minus Jacoby's 32HR season, he only had one other season with more than 10, when he hit 16) and a little less speed.

19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

JBJ's contract is up the end of this season.  Will they push Duran hard to be ready for next year because I see no signs of Boston wanting to re-sign Jackie.

How's his D?

As for him in MLB next year,  let's see how he handles AA.  It's a more appropriate league for him given his background. 

I doubt Duran is the plan next year. If Boston wanted him ready next year he would have been in AA for a month now. Leaving a 22 year old in HI-A ball is not an aggressive push. But he is an AA now and maybe he can ratchet up his counting stats in a more age appropriate league.

1 hour ago, hailfire4 said:

I doubt Duran is the plan next year. If Boston wanted him ready next year he would have been in AA for a month now. Leaving a 22 year old in HI-A ball is not an aggressive push. But he is an AA now and maybe he can ratchet up his counting stats in a more age appropriate league.

Plus Dombrowski's MO is to gut the farm system to try and win, and then leave.  This guy won't see the majors in a Boston uniform if he keeps improving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AngryBeavers said:

seems to be scuffling in AA. Not sure if zero homers, and sub .200 is what we were hoping for. K rate seems to be in line with A ball. 

Anyone with any insight here other than he is adjusting to a tougher league??

For sure not the start at AA that anyone was hoping for, but let's see where he's at by season's end.  If he's had 250+ ABs and still hitting around the Mendoza line with few XBH then perhaps he is a pumpkin.  He's hit at every level, so far across 3 levels, so the kid might just be adjusting.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
10 hours ago, svdude said:

Not a subscriber to telegram or masslive, but other articles seem to indicate they believe in his spring #'s.  Assume more of the same in the subscription articles?

Not from the articles above but my take based on what the Red Sox announcers and and pre/post shows etc have said.  His bat is fine and definitely ready.  His defense needs much work yet if he is ever to become the Sox everyday CF which is what he is being groomed for.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing LF now in Worcester...LF is the spot that needs the upgrade... Larry Lucs is beatin the Duran drum, calling him a "superstar"... Franchy and Renfroe are struggling... he's raking... hunch, we see him soon...

• Like 2