NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarren Duran - OF Bos

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buddy, I've been married for 16 years. I am so prepared!

So my parents have  ranch out in Wooded Acres Virginia which is about 5 mins away from Salem Virginia where the HIA Salem red Sox play. I came out here to visit them and i bought tickets to their last

Former Angels manager Mike Scioscia managed the best player in baseball for eight years (2011-2018) in the form of Mike Trout. Trout, a three-time American League MVP, eight-time All-Star, and ei

On 4/28/2021 at 12:09 PM, nittanychris said:

The Franchy Cordero experiment won’t last. I stashed Duran in my AL only league. I could see early June call up.

Yeah Super 2 would be the earliest I think barring injuries.  They really want to see if they can get Franchy and Renfroe turned around.  Especially Franchy who they view as having a ton of "potential."  Right now they have been leading the league in runs scored and batting average and OBP and 3rd in homers (or were until the two low scoring games v the Mets just now) so there is no pressure to increase hitting on the team currently. 

Meanwhile Duran definitely needs serious work on his defense.  They hoped to turn him into a CF but seem to have given up that hope for now and he has been playing LF at the training site.  That position is basically open for grabs.  I mean they had JD play some there BEFORE they went to Citifield where he "had" to to get in the line-up.

Now the announcers are saying that if Franchy goes they have old vet Danny Santana tucked away as insurance to come up.  I know Duran's defense is said to suck and yeah I saw him in a couple of spring training games and he had no clue how to chase after a ball.  But come on and just learn LF and you are in the majors, Jarren.  Don't make me live through The Danny Santana Returns experiment next.

27 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

2 dongs today. I think his time to be up is rapidly approaching

I am Vince McMahon-ing over this right now!!! 

• Like 1

Where has this power come from? Fangraphs gave him a 45 grade in raw power and 35 in game power. He had 8 HR in 199 minor league games coming into this season. What kind of power numbers in MLB can we expect from Duran 2.0?

16 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Where has this power come from? Fangraphs gave him a 45 grade in raw power and 35 in game power. He had 8 HR in 199 minor league games coming into this season. What kind of power numbers in MLB can we expect from Duran 2.0?

He's 6'2" and 212lbs, so he has the size to be a power hitter.  He's made a swing adjustment to tap that and it's paying off.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Can anyone tell me how fluid  those tool grades are?  Are they snapshots of a specific point in time?  Are scouts looking at a body type and a swing to project those power outputs?  In this particular case, if Duran grew into his body, or worked hard at building muscle along with a slight change in the swing, would that 35 change?

Off the top of your head, was there a guy recently who graded similar, like 35-45 ,made an adjustment and turned out to be a regular power contributor?

Merryfield and Altuve come to mind for some reason even though Duran is much bigger.

17 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Can anyone tell me how fluid  those tool grades are?  Are they snapshots of a specific point in time?  Are scouts looking at a body type and a swing to project those power outputs?  In this particular case, if Duran grew into his body, or worked hard at building muscle along with a slight change in the swing, would that 35 change?

Off the top of your head, was there a guy recently who graded similar, like 35-45 ,made an adjustment and turned out to be a regular power contributor?

Merryfield and Altuve come to mind for some reason even though Duran is much bigger.

I remember Alex Bregman making a swing "tweak" after he got drafted when he first got to the minors.  I mean he was good before (#2 overall pick) but I recall him working on the whole launch angle fly ball swing adjustment and when results started showing quickly it made people here really excited.  I believe it really sped up his track to the majors and he was something like a 45-50 power guy.  Other guys that had 40 grades that have hit for better power in MLB are Lindor, T. Anderson, Trea Turner.

TL;DR  Scouting is an inexact science so take it all with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, nittanychris said:

So if he gets the green light on the basepaths, which he really should given his incredible speed, we’re looking at 20 HR, 30 SB, with even more room for upside.

WOW.

Assuming his average can stay above the .250 BA mark, he should have no problem becoming a 15/20 guy, with upside obviously being 20/30 or possibly even 25/35 down the line.

If he pans out how I believe he will, I could easily see this kid becoming a .285 BA, 80 Runs, 20 HR, 70 RBI, 35 SB kind of guy once he gets a few years under his belt.

If he gets called up this season (preferably in the next month or so), I could easily see him posting a 10/15 line the rest of the way.

Really the only question I have if he gets called up this season is where he'll land on the BA scale...But as long as he can get on base a little, he'll help a lot of people win this year.

29 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Assuming his average can stay above the .250 BA mark, he should have no problem becoming a 15/20 guy, with upside obviously being 20/30 or possibly even 25/35 down the line.

If he pans out how I believe he will, I could easily see this kid becoming a .285 BA, 80 Runs, 20 HR, 70 RBI, 35 SB kind of guy once he gets a few years under his belt.

If he gets called up this season (preferably in the next month or so), I could easily see him posting a 10/15 line the rest of the way.

Really the only question I have if he gets called up this season is where he'll land on the BA scale...But as long as he can get on base a little, he'll help a lot of people win this year.

Carlos Gomez?

Any thoughts about that really high k rate?    Did it stabilize after a rough start?  Results of the new approach/launch angle?  Too small a sample size?  

12 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Any thoughts about that really high k rate?    Did it stabilize after a rough start?  Results of the new approach/launch angle?  Too small a sample size?  

Only 4 K's in last 6 games (22AB's) and hit another HR last night.  He's also drawn a walk in the last 6 games.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1