NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jarren Duran - OF Bos

Osu1456

Posted (edited)

Put this guy up in my auction (no that deep of a league, but one where a lot of prospects get nominated and go for a decent amount) for $1 hoping to get money off the table, and won him. I thought my league would be in on the hype. His card prices rockets over the offseason.  Looking like a steal if any of this sucess translates. Hit a 480 foot bomb today1 480! And he steals bags.  We'll see how much batting average he has to sacrifice for this somewhat newly found power, but if it's not a lot, he could be a very valuable  5x5 asset, especially in a good lineup in a good park.

I gotta think he's up within a month, next week wouldn't shock me. Red Sox are better than me or @The Big Bat Theory thought would be this year.  Getting Duran, Sale and maybe Casas or Downs this year would make them even better.  They certainly have a hole in one OF spot.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Put this guy up in my auction (no that deep of a league, but one where a lot of prospects get nominated and go for a decent amount) for $1 hoping to get money off the table, and won him. I thought my league would be in on the hype. His card prices rockets over the offseason.  Looking like a steal if any of this sucess translates. Hit a 480 foot bomb today1 480! And he steals bags.  We'll see how much batting average he has to sacrifice for this somewhat newly found power, but if it's not a lot, he could be a very valuable  5x5 asset, especially in a good lineup in a good park.

I gotta think he's up within a month, next week wouldn't shock me. Red Sox are better than me or @The Big Bat Theory thought would be this year.  Getting Duran, Sale and maybe Casas or Downs this year would make them even better.  They certainly have a hole in one OF spot.

Excellent stuff as always!  

1) What is the purpose of Danny Santana in Boston?

2) how would you rate Durans defense in terms of getting him to the majors or holding him back?

22 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Excellent stuff as always!  

1) What is the purpose of Danny Santana in Boston?

2) how would you rate Durans defense in terms of getting him to the majors or holding him back?

Franchy Cordero is mostly starting in LF per  RR and Kike in CF. So, not sure why he can't play in LF.  The offensive upgrade in CF should probably outweigh his inability to play it that well now, but that does put more pressure on the bat.  It feels like it could happen next week.  The Red Sox aren't the type of team to need to wait for Super 2 nor am I that confident he's going to be worth 30 million for an arb year in 6 years, but maybe.  I feel like they should be playing for this year. Currently 1 game up in the divison.  Can always send him down.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Duran’s home runs totaled 955 feet of distance, with both sailing well over the Worcester Wall in right field. The first, off left-handed starter Nick Allgeyer, traveled 480 feet. The second, off reight-handed reliever Dany Jimenez, went 475. 

https://www.masslive.com/worcesterredsox/2021/05/jarren-duran-launches-two-home-runs-goes-5-for-5-in-woosox-7-4-win-over-buffalo.html

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the posts above. I was just so excited. 

Edited by thejamman

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Franchy Cordero is mostly starting in LF per  RR and Kike in CF. So, not sure why he can't play in LF.  The offensive upgrade in CF should probably outweigh his inability to play it that well now, but that does put more pressure on the bat.  It feels like it could happen next week.  The Red Sox aren't the type of team to need to wait for Super 2 nor am I that confident he's going to be worth 30 million for an arb year in 6 years, but maybe.  I feel like they should be playing for this year. Currently 1 game up in the divison.  Can always send him down.

Verdugo plays in center the most and he is most definitely everyday.  21 starts in center, 10 in left and 9 in right.

Renfroe has worked himself into semi-everyday in RF with his power and he defense both.  (He has a cannon for an arm so RF is a good fit for him).

So even if Franchy is out of the picture and Marwin Gonzales (he has played in the outfield too) disappears, you still have Kike and now Santana blocking Duran for now.  Santana was always going to get he first call all along.  Organization said as much from the get go.

As long as the Red Sox are rolling with their vets there is no talk on calling up any prospect unfortunately other than Houck as a shuttle (options) sixth starter.  NESN does mention Duran homers and show clips of him at times but I doubt he can come up unless there are multiple injuries (not just one) first.  And even then we are so close to the June call-up period now they wouldn't even think of bringing him up in the next couple weeks.

I haven't seen anything about how his defense is coming along but that was his major weakness in spring training so I'm sure he has been working on it.  During ST he wasn't taking the right routes to balls hit so it is more a mental problem learning how to do it as opposed to a physical problem playing the outfield.

Sorry to throw cold water on things and I want him up as soon as possible too but I don't see it happening without injuries forcing Boston to make the move this early in the season.  Add in that the team is on a roll and in baseball you don't change stuff up as long as things are going good. 

And I can't see a market for a Marwin type for a bullpen arm at the trade deadline either.  Oh well.  Strange things sometimes happen in baseball.  If Dombrowski was still here he'd trade the kid for pitching now but the Sox are (fortunately from my pov) trying to build a team for multiple years and I can't see Chaim trading Duran away.  At least I hope not.

PS to this long post.  Duran has to get better at defense is the bottom line.  The pitching has been way better than it should be so far and a lot of that has been due to the defense saving their collective bacons at times.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

6 hours ago, nittanychris said:

And we have to wait through Danny Santana first. Ugh. This kid is a STUD. 

My solution to this conundrum is to roster both!

I don't see why Danny Santana is the issue.  Marwin, Franchy, and Refroe are the ones who should be in AAA right now.  Even Kike is kinda BLEH if I am being honest.  The Red Sox are fortunate they are being carried by the guys you would expect to carry their team.  Dalbec has shown a little of late but I do not understand why those other 3 bums have such a hold on everyday positions on a team like the Red Sox.   

Red Sox are in first place so they should start his service time early? Instead of playing all their fa pickups?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Red Sox are in first place so they should start his service time early? Instead of playing all their fa pickups?

The guy is 24 years old. They have him controlled into his 30s if they called him up today. I dunno how much service time matters here personally.

I wonder if him participating on team USA will effect his callup

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

The guy is 24 years old. They have him controlled into his 30s if they called him up today. I dunno how much service time matters here personally.

I wonder if him participating on team USA will effect his callup

Gone from woo sox for at least 2 weeks.😕

so maybe BBT is correct in his assessment here

Jarren Duran, OF BOS (Triple-A) 5-for-5, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 3 R

This was the kind of game where I had several texts on my phone with a variety of questions along the lines of “When is he up?”. The truth is I don't know. I’m of the kind that it’s likely late June or early July for a variety of reasons, but primarily the roster crunch (they called up Danny Santana to avoid an opt-out) and frankly as cliche as this seems, Duran still needs to improve his defense in center. The bat obviously plays, though I do think there’s some areas that MLB arms can exploit. 

I actually don't have a problem with them trying Danny Santana.  He actually was good for a year or two, so giving him a shot over the other crap they have in the OF (besides Verdugo) makes sense.  If he can recapture that hitting for Boston, good for them.  Like others have said, it's not like he's blocking Duran if he ends up continuing to hit good.  They only have one other good OF otherwise, and that's Verdugo.  Never understood why Hernandez has been anything more than a platoon player in his career.  Cordero, while I get why they gave him a shot given his power potential, is awful.  Duran will be up, and hopefully for good, at some point this season.

The only way he's up anytime soon is if the team decided to call him up before the Olympics.  Otherwise he'd be a middle of June call-up at best.

With that said, if it's sometime next month, that's not half bad.  If these prospects end up performing even close to what they are doing in the minors right before their call-up, then they end up being worth the wait.

6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I actually don't have a problem with them trying Danny Santana.  He actually was good for a year or two, so giving him a shot over the other crap they have in the OF (besides Verdugo) makes sense.  If he can recapture that hitting for Boston, good for them.  Like others have said, it's not like he's blocking Duran if he ends up continuing to hit good.  They only have one other good OF otherwise, and that's Verdugo.  Never understood why Hernandez has been anything more than a platoon player in his career.  Cordero, while I get why they gave him a shot given his power potential, is awful.  Duran will be up, and hopefully for good, at some point this season.

The only way he's up anytime soon is if the team decided to call him up before the Olympics.  Otherwise he'd be a middle of June call-up at best.

With that said, if it's sometime next month, that's not half bad.  If these prospects end up performing even close to what they are doing in the minors right before their call-up, then they end up being worth the wait.

The Olympics could be the thing that forces Boston’s hand if he rakes at that level on an international stage. 

12 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

The Olympics could be the thing that forces Boston’s hand if he rakes at that level on an international stage. 

Olympics end is early September. Is there any possibility that he would actually GO to the olympics?  If not, what reason would he have to be part of that team for 2 weeks?

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

Olympics end is early September. Is there any possibility that he would actually GO to the olympics?  If not, what reason would he have to be part of that team for 2 weeks?

I saw above that it said first game was 5/31. That’s the timeline I was referring to. I clearly don’t follow the olympics. 

Just now, TheForearmShiver said:

I saw above that it said first game was 5/31. That’s the timeline I was referring to. I clearly don’t follow the olympics. 

Are pro players even allowed to play in thE Olympics?

2 minutes ago, panthersfan75 said:

Olympics end on August 8.

So they do.  My apologies.  They are usually late August,  but regardless a mid August call up is not what stashers  signed up for.   The question remains, is him being on the Olympic team a possibility? A probqbility? A certainty?  Any ideas?

28 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Are pro players even allowed to play in thE Olympics?

If a player is on the 40 man roster, they do not play in the Olympics. Only minor leaguers and free agents are selected. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

If a player is on the 40 man roster, they do not play in the Olympics. Only minor leaguers and free agents are selected. 

Awesome, thanks for the clarification

• Like 1