NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarren Duran - OF Bos

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

If a player is on the 40 man roster, they do not play in the Olympics. Only minor leaguers and free agents are selected. 

Duran isn't on the 40 man roster.   Is he tied in to this commitment in any way? I've been scouring the internet to see if it will affect his call up.  I haven't seen a concrete answer.  

Personally, I was going to hold as mid June seemed like a probability, but dont want to wait until August.  Any insight?

Edited by Cesare13
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buddy, I've been married for 16 years. I am so prepared!

I’m not going to add eyeballs because I’ve been wrong more times than I count on his call up but he’s out of the lineup tonight. I’m not sure why he’d be given a night off considering Worcester didn’t

So my parents have  ranch out in Wooded Acres Virginia which is about 5 mins away from Salem Virginia where the HIA Salem red Sox play. I came out here to visit them and i bought tickets to their last

Posted Images

On 5/22/2021 at 11:43 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Verdugo plays in center the most and he is most definitely everyday.  21 starts in center, 10 in left and 9 in right.

Renfroe has worked himself into semi-everyday in RF with his power and he defense both.  (He has a cannon for an arm so RF is a good fit for him).

So even if Franchy is out of the picture and Marwin Gonzales (he has played in the outfield too) disappears, you still have Kike and now Santana blocking Duran for now.  Santana was always going to get he first call all along.  Organization said as much from the get go.

As long as the Red Sox are rolling with their vets there is no talk on calling up any prospect unfortunately other than Houck as a shuttle (options) sixth starter.  NESN does mention Duran homers and show clips of him at times but I doubt he can come up unless there are multiple injuries (not just one) first.  And even then we are so close to the June call-up period now they wouldn't even think of bringing him up in the next couple weeks.

I haven't seen anything about how his defense is coming along but that was his major weakness in spring training so I'm sure he has been working on it.  During ST he wasn't taking the right routes to balls hit so it is more a mental problem learning how to do it as opposed to a physical problem playing the outfield.

Sorry to throw cold water on things and I want him up as soon as possible too but I don't see it happening without injuries forcing Boston to make the move this early in the season.  Add in that the team is on a roll and in baseball you don't change stuff up as long as things are going good. 

And I can't see a market for a Marwin type for a bullpen arm at the trade deadline either.  Oh well.  Strange things sometimes happen in baseball.  If Dombrowski was still here he'd trade the kid for pitching now but the Sox are (fortunately from my pov) trying to build a team for multiple years and I can't see Chaim trading Duran away.  At least I hope not.

PS to this long post.  Duran has to get better at defense is the bottom line.  The pitching has been way better than it should be so far and a lot of that has been due to the defense saving their collective bacons at times.

Mets will gladly take any outfielder you have right now.

21 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

The guy is 24 years old. They have him controlled into his 30s if they called him up today. I dunno how much service time matters here personally.

I wonder if him participating on team USA will effect his callup

we're gonna get destroyed

12 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Duran isn't on the 40 man roster.   Is he tied in to this commitment in any way? I've been scouring the internet to see if it will affect his call up.  I haven't seen a concrete answer.  

Personally, I was going to hold as mid June seemed like a probability, but dont want to wait until August.  Any insight?

I'm not entirely sure but it's possible that he won't have to join the Olympics if the Red Sox call him up to the bigs.

fwiw:

"Duran, 24, is hitting .299 with a 1.061 OPS and seven homers in 17 games for Triple-A Worcester this season. It’s just a matter of time before Duran is added to the big league roster, which would prevent him from playing in the Olympics. Currently, there are only minor leaguers and big league free agents on the preliminary roster."

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/05/23/red-sox-prospects-jarren-duran-triston-casas-added-to-team-usa-roster-for-summer-olympic-qualifiers/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not worried about that Olympics stoping playoff bound Redsox’s from bringing him up if they have a need. 

But I can’t imagine Danny Santana playing okay right now helps Duran call up time. Not that he was the only factor against, and Santana can move around the diamond. But I kind of thought we needed a crappyish Santana, Renfroe, and Franchy to see it happen sooner. 

5 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

I’m not worried about that Olympics stoping playoff bound Redsox’s from bringing him up if they have a need. 

But I can’t imagine Danny Santana playing okay right now helps Duran call up time. Not that he was the only factor against, and Santana can move around the diamond. But I kind of thought we needed a crappyish Santana, Renfroe, and Franchy to see it happen sooner. 

The only flippin team in the entire league without a serious injury to an Outfielder.  

• Like 1
Just now, Cesare13 said:

The only flippin team in the entire league without a serious injury to an Outfielder.  

Seriously. I’m not rooting for it happen of course... but I’m also not not rooting for it happen 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, kwelch said:

Buddy, I've been married for 16 years. I am so prepared!

Ahahhahahaha!!!!!

*a lot of colten brewer chatter as it's looking like it'll be a pitcher

Edited by Cesare13

So is "being part of team USA" a death sentence for a callup?  I'd think he could get to Boston in a day or two if needed, but I have not been able to find anything definitive about the whole Olympic thing despite searchjng.  I saw that Cora, or Bloom or someone said "the experience would be good for him".   

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

So is "being part of team USA" a death sentence for a callup?  I'd think he could get to Boston in a day or two if needed, but I have not been able to find anything definitive about the whole Olympic thing despite searchjng.  I saw that Cora, or Bloom or someone said "the experience would be good for him".   

Definitely not - though it’s weirdly been portrayed as such here of late.

Posted (edited)

Turning heads and drawing rave reviews from coaches and players at the USA camp according to mtie Twitter sources.   The legend is starting to grow.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

They mentioned as soon as Franchy was sent down that it would be a reliever. 

They just wanted to wait to the last minute to see how bad the weather would be tonight to see if the game tonight was going to be postponed which it wasn't.  It was wet and wetter and they played some serious mudball in it instead.  Surprised no one got injured in the game actually.

Anyway they had optioned down a reliever to make room for Danny Santana so they had been short in the bull pen.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Former Angels manager Mike Scioscia managed the best player in baseball for eight years (2011-2018) in the form of Mike Trout.

Trout, a three-time American League MVP, eight-time All-Star, and eight-time Silver Slugger Award winner, is without a doubt the textbook definition of a five-tool player, and has been for quite some time.

So when Scioscia, who is currently managing Team USA ahead of an Olympic qualifying event in Florida, describes one of the top prospects in the Red Sox farm system as a five-tool player, that is saying something.

Who is that Red Sox prospect exactly? None other than outfielder Jarren Duran, of course.

“Looking at video ever since he was selected for our club, you just see the talent jump off the screen,” Scioscia recently told Baseball America’s Kyle Glaser. “Seeing him in person, his first step is incredible everywhere, whether he’s trying to steal a base or he’s in center field. He’s a five-tool player. When you call a guy a five-tool player you’re saying that he’s special. He’s in an elite group. I think that Jarren has that that skill set that can make him an impact player very quickly in the major-leagues.”

https://bloggingtheredsox.com/2021/05/28/red-sox-jarren-duran-drawing-praise-from-manager-mike-scioscia-veteran-teammates-during-team-usa-training-camp/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

United States 7, Nicaragua 1
Left-hander Matthew Liberatore, the Cardinals’ No. 1 prospect and No. 30 prospect in baseball according to MLB Pipeline, tossed five solid innings while giving up one run on five hits, walking one and striking out four on 86 pitches.

Liberatore got plenty of run support at Clover Park, primarily from Red Sox No. 3 prospect(No. 92 overall) Jarren Duran and Mariners prospect Eric Filia. Duran singled three times in six at-bats, driving in two. Filia also drove in two while going 2-for-5 with a pair of singles. Reds catching prospect Mark Kolozsvary went 2-for-5 with a solo homer, the only extra-base hit among the 14 hits the U.S. had in the game.

https://www.mlb.com/news/wbsc-baseball-americas-qualifier-2021-day-1-results

• Thanks 2