NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jarren Duran - OF Bos

Osu1456

Kid has been very impressive and fills a need both in CF and leadoff as Verdugo doesn’t seem entirely comfortable leading off. Kike H, Marwin G, and C Arroyo are NOT the answers. Super 2 deadline is over by late June. Wake up, Red Sox!

Edited by nittanychris

1 hour ago, nittanychris said:

Super 2 deadline is over by late June. Wake up, Red Sox!

Given that Wander Franco just got the call, I'd say the date has already passed as I can't imagine the Rays calling him up unless they were certain.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 7:02 PM, nittanychris said:

Kid has been very impressive and fills a need both in CF and leadoff as Verdugo doesn’t seem entirely comfortable leading off. Kike H, Marwin G, and C Arroyo are NOT the answers. Super 2 deadline is over by late June. Wake up, Red Sox!

Verdugo does NOT lead off.  He SHOULD lead off however.  And he most likely WANTS to lead off.  But they keep making their lead off hitter one of the horrible ones.  Tonight it is Danny Santana.  I call their lead-off hitters "Auto-outs."  Frustrating to see the team start one down in the first every single freaking game.

Even suck up to Sox management NESN guys have been saying that the press keeps asking why Verdugo isn't leading off and Cora treats this question like it is absurd to even ask it.  I really like Cora as a manager but he seems to have a blind spot when it comes to the players they added this season -- Kike, Franchy, Marwin and Santana.  Like it took forever to send Franchy back down to AAA.

And I want Duran up asap too but I got some bad news for us all.  The next call down will likely be to bring Franchy Cordero back up.  Apparently he is "tearing the cover off the ball" in AAA now according to the official Red Sox line.

If Duran was a good fielder to go along with his bat they might be forced to bring him up but they constantly harp on how he needs to improve defensively.  Well Franchy is bad as a fielder too.  Franchy is like REALLY bad.  Can't believe he is worse than Duran.  But front office and manager have been both all in with Franchy.

2 hours ago, panthersfan75 said:

Is his defense really that bad? I remember hearing he was a plus infielder. Guys get moved to the OF all the time with no experience. Kris Bryant started playing in the OF without really any experience and was fine. This guy has plus plus speed and isn’t a moron defensively. This just sounds like BS to me. 

On 6/22/2021 at 1:38 PM, herschel said:

Ah yes those “scuffling” Red Sox who at the time of the article won 4 of their last 6 and just took over first place in the east and have the second best record in the entire AL. Poor things need to burn it down and start over.

stop it. I want him up too and think he will soon (this weekend?) but don’t try to force something that’s not there actually there. He’s just trying to get the fanbase to march with their pitchforks. 

Edited by Wytchclt55

Mashed another bomb today. Meanwhile in Boston, Santana is working on another 0-fer and is 5 for his last 47, with all 5 hits being singles. Duran is up in the next 7 days, imo, and Santana will be DFA’d.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:04 PM, TheForearmShiver said:

Is his defense really that bad? I remember hearing he was a plus infielder. Guys get moved to the OF all the time with no experience. Kris Bryant started playing in the OF without really any experience and was fine. This guy has plus plus speed and isn’t a moron defensively. This just sounds like BS to me. 

Yes it is that bad.  He has always been an outfielder, not an infielder.  And more a corner outfielder.  But they want him to play centerfield and he can't do that well enough right now.  In spring training he looked lost in center quite frankly.  Had trouble going back on the ball and choosing routes to same.  So no the stuff about defense is not BS. 

But Franchy is even worse in the outfield if he is called up first and Franchy can barely play corner.  And they could play Verdugo in center and let Duran play left which is the easiest field at Fenway.

Now with Wander Franco up for TB there is even more of a call to bring of Duran.  Press and sports talk shows are constantly asking when he will be up.  Even the NESN crew -- NESN is owned by Sox and never criticizes the Sox moves generally except for Eck who will slip his own critical opinions in sometimes, goes along with the party line 99% of the time -- is getting pretty feisty about it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yes it is that bad.  He has always been an outfielder, not an infielder.  And more a corner outfielder.  But they want him to play centerfield and he can't do that well enough right now.  In spring training he looked lost in center quite frankly.  Had trouble going back on the ball and choosing routes to same.  So no the stuff about defense is not BS. 

But Franchy is even worse in the outfield if he is called up first and Franchy can barely play corner.  And they could play Verdugo in center and let Duran play left which is the easiest field at Fenway.

Now with Wander Franco up for TB there is even more of a call to bring of Duran.  Press and sports talk shows are constantly asking when he will be up.  Even the NESN crew -- NESN is owned by Sox and never criticizes the Sox moves generally except for Eck who will slip his own critical opinions in sometimes, goes along with the party line 99% of the time -- is getting pretty feisty about it.

He was a 2B for his three-year college career and started his career in the minors at 2B before the Red Sox converted him to OF three years ago. He was apparently a decent 2B but they though his athleticism would translate to CF  he’s been playing LF quite a bit now - which if Ryan Braun and Kyle Schwarber could be trusted to convert there - Duran should be fine.  I don’t know what the Red Sox think more seasoning in the minors will do for his defense after three years.  It’s not like this project started three weeks ago. 

https://bloggingtheredsox.com/2021/04/26/red-sox-prospect-jarren-duran-spending-time-in-left-field-at-teams-alternate-training-site/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

He was a 2B for his three-year college career and started his career in the minors at 2B before the Red Sox converted him to OF three years ago. He was apparently a decent 2B but they though his athleticism would translate to CF  he’s been playing LF quite a bit now - which if Ryan Braun and Kyle Schwarber could be trusted to convert there - Duran should be fine.  I don’t know what the Red Sox think more seasoning in the minors will do for his defense after three years.  It’s not like this project started three weeks ago. 

https://bloggingtheredsox.com/2021/04/26/red-sox-prospect-jarren-duran-spending-time-in-left-field-at-teams-alternate-training-site/

Glad to hear they shifted him to left which was what I was saying above could be his only way to the majors since he was terrible in center.  But are you sure this is accurate?  The byline is from April 26th and Worchester isn't a training site now, it is the official AAA team's new home now since it moved there from Pawtucket this season.

30 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Glad to hear they shifted him to left which was what I was saying above could be his only way to the majors since he was terrible in center.  But are you sure this is accurate?  The byline is from April 26th and Worchester isn't a training site now, it is the official AAA team's new home now since it moved there from Pawtucket this season.

I was using that as it references his history at 2B. He’s apparently been still playing CF in games but they had stated working on his defense in LF at the site last year. Must have aborted that. Either way, a few extra weeks of CF in the minors isn’t going to change anything. If his CF defense isn’t ready now it’s not going to be ready in 2021. So you might as well let him learn it in the majors or move him to LF. Dude is almost 25 and clearly not being tested at AAA anymore. 

Fought off the sun for a nice grab yesterday:

https://www.milb.com/video/duran-makes-stellar-snag-in-cf

He's played 25 games in CF, 5 in RF and 1 in LF this year - hasn't made any errors so far this year and even has a couple of CF assists. He's obviously no Jackie Bradley, but has enough speed and range to play the position. I'm all for giving him him a chance.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

It really is pretty dumb that he isn't up yet. TBH, every time I hear Cora talk now and spit the nonsense he does about why Duran isn't up just feeds to how I think Cora is an idiot.

Think it is more about the front office and contracts and business etc etc and Cora fronting for them.  Front offices decide all these things in modern baseball, not the field manager.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Think it is more about the front office and contracts and business etc etc and Cora fronting for them.  Front offices decide all these things in modern baseball, not the field manager.

Of course. It happens with players every year and most of the time, managers that aren't idiots don't sound like an idiot when addressing it. Cora always sounds like an idiot and his way of addressing this is no exception.

40 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

what are we thinking on a callup? i can't see them waiting til september w/ the way santana has been playing.

Calling him up in September would be bad unless they send him down again next year for a while. Super 2 has passed, otherwise the Rays would not have risked calling up Franco. There is no difference in calling up a guy right now, tomorrow, next month, or September from a cost saving perspective.  The next time it would matter would be 1 month into the season, end of April/earl May to get an extra year of control.

I feel like we are probably at the point where it could be any day. Could happen two weeks from today or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Just spitballing here, but I feel like they either call him up tomorrow (beginning of a 7 game home stand) or wait another 2 weeks (beginning of the next home stand).

Without being able to cite a source besides my shoddy memory, it seems these top prospects get called up at the beginning of a stretch of home games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrispySteve423 said:

Just spitballing here, but I feel like they either call him up tomorrow (beginning of a 7 game home stand) or wait another 2 weeks (beginning of the next home stand).

Without being able to cite a source besides my shoddy memory, it seems these top prospects get called up at the beginning of a stretch of home games.

I’ve been eyeing tomorrow as a potential call-up date for a few days now. After watching Santana go 0 for 5 last night with 3k’s and seeing Duran hit another homer at Triple A, any reservations by the Boston brass should’ve been thrown out the window. I’m putting my chips on tomorrow happening.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’ve been eyeing tomorrow as a potential call-up date for a few days now. After watching Santana go 0 for 5 last night with 3k’s and seeing Duran hit another homer at Triple A, any reservations by the Boston brass should’ve been thrown out the window. I’m putting my chips on tomorrow happening.

I think the buzz is there. Just need a Danny Santana strikeout to end the top of the 9th tonight, followed by a Wander Franco walkoff and that might seal the deal for Duran's callup lol.

No matter the Red Sox's record, their standing with the Rays & Yankees puts more weight to it finally happening.