Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jarren Duran - OF Bos


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, collucho said:

Anyone else think its funny they make this kid switch to OF then complain about his defense all so they can call up Michael Chavis to replace Arroyo when it could've easily been Duran? 

No.  Duran has been playing OF for quite some time.  Like several years.  And Jeter Downs will be the 2B of the future.  The need is in the OF long term. 

Meanwhile Arroyo is a decent guy with a glove and passable enough in the line-up for now and Chavis may not be that great but he does hustle and plays dirt dog hard like a Trot Nixon type and can provide a bit of a spark compared to the snooze that Santana and Marwin have been producing so I have no problem with him being up.  But, again, he shouldn't lead-off either.  Verdugo should.

OT:  I am not surprised that Marwin at his age and Santana with a bad year and injuries in the past are this bad.  What really surprised me is how bad Kike has been so far.  He was a pretty decent utility guy with the Dodgers.  Wonder what happened to him this year.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buddy, I've been married for 16 years. I am so prepared!

I’m not going to add eyeballs because I’ve been wrong more times than I count on his call up but he’s out of the lineup tonight. I’m not sure why he’d be given a night off considering Worcester didn’t

So my parents have  ranch out in Wooded Acres Virginia which is about 5 mins away from Salem Virginia where the HIA Salem red Sox play. I came out here to visit them and i bought tickets to their last

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No.  Duran has been playing OF for quite some time.  Like several years.  And Jeter Downs will be the 2B of the future.  The need is in the OF long term. 

Meanwhile Arroyo is a decent guy with a glove and passable enough in the line-up for now and Chavis may not be that great but he does hustle and plays dirt dog hard like a Trot Nixon type and can provide a bit of a spark compared to the snooze that Santana and Marwin have been producing so I have no problem with him being up.  But, again, he shouldn't lead-off either.  Verdugo should.

Yeah I get all that. Just thought this particular scenario was funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

His ownership is shooting up quite a bit, but haven't read anything about getting the call yet. 

Anyone else read anything ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, tonywow said:

His ownership is shooting up quite a bit, but haven't read anything about getting the call yet. 

Anyone else read anything ? 

Nothing yet. Just a few of these articles starting to circulate alerting the masses…

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonywow said:

His ownership is shooting up quite a bit, but haven't read anything about getting the call yet. 

Anyone else read anything ? 

He’s been down too long already . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, collucho said:

Anyone else think its funny they make this kid switch to OF then complain about his defense all so they can call up Michael Chavis to replace Arroyo when it could've easily been Duran? 

It really sucks to own Duran and Brujan in my dynasty today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tonywow said:

His ownership is shooting up quite a bit, but haven't read anything about getting the call yet. 

Anyone else read anything ? 

Haven't seen anything from the Red Sox, just suddenly a bunch of fantasy articles speculating have caused a rush to pick him up. Sucks, I was still holding off in a couple leagues where he was available and those articles caused a rush before I got to it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few things to consider.... I hope the Boston organization is not holding Duran in AAA because they want him to play for USA Olympic baseball! I do think that would be very selfish of an organization to hold a player down to see how he performs on a world stage. Unless Duran himself committed to playing in the Olympics, Boston would be doing a huge disservice to the player and his immediate need/potential for a team that could clearly use a constant offensive Outfielder who could prosper now! He helped Team USA  qualify for the Olympics about 3 weeks ago and did well but also missed about 2 weeks of play at AAA. His production has been great and doing better than most prospects that have been in AAA since the season began. These are just some things that have been going through my mind in the last couple of days. I really thought Duran would be called up tomorrow (Friday 6/25) to begin a long Boston homestand that starts with the Yankees. Olympic baseball is scheduled to 7/27/21 and end 8/7/21. Maybe tonight's game makes the difference between the callup or not but we will see!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, avatoot said:

A few things to consider.... I hope the Boston organization is not holding Duran in AAA because they want him to play for USA Olympic baseball! I do think that would be very selfish of an organization to hold a player down to see how he performs on a world stage. Unless Duran himself committed to playing in the Olympics, Boston would be doing a huge disservice to the player and his immediate need/potential for a team that could clearly use a constant offensive Outfielder who could prosper now! He helped Team USA  qualify for the Olympics about 3 weeks ago and did well but also missed about 2 weeks of play at AAA. His production has been great and doing better than most prospects that have been in AAA since the season began. These are just some things that have been going through my mind in the last couple of days. I really thought Duran would be called up tomorrow (Friday 6/25) to begin a long Boston homestand that starts with the Yankees. Olympic baseball is scheduled to 7/27/21 and end 8/7/21. Maybe tonight's game makes the difference between the callup or not but we will see!

And after 6 2/3 innings of no hit baseball by Pivetta Boston loses 1-0. Something has to give!!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I said that IF or when he comes up I want to see a half dozen gifs of "it's Happening" in this thread so hopefully it will happen sometime.  But I doubt tonight's game will make much of an impact.  All the pitching was elite tonight.  JD, Devers, Xander couldn't break through.  Sometimes you have to give it up to the pitchers.  All of them tonight.

As for calling a prospect up for a home stand the Red Sox don't really care.  They have often times seem to prefer to call them up as they start a road trip so the guy won't feel the pressure from the home town fans.  Same way as they put them  batting 9th to keep off some of the pressure.

Speaking of which Bobby Dalbec is so totally lost at the plate.  Kudos to Cora for keeping him in games as much as possible but it is getting to the stage where he needs a phantom injury break.  In which case Marwin would probably play 1st the most but it would open up a roster spot in general ... at least temporarily.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tonywow said:

His ownership is shooting up quite a bit, but haven't read anything about getting the call yet. 

Anyone else read anything ? 

FOMO

Link to post
Share on other sites

No news yet so I think it’s safe to say today isn’t happening. The next logical option could be Monday when the Sox start a series at Fenway against the Royals. Perhaps they didn’t want to bring him up today because a. They’re playing the Yanks and there is a little more pressure in these series that they didn’t want to expose him to, and b. They don’t need any help selling tickets in a weekend series against said Yankees.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't run Marwin and Danny Santana out thier and expect your offense to succeed. They are bench players that can play all over enough said, heck you could prob throw Kiki in that same role 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StartYourStuds said:

You’d think this guy was the top prospect in baseball with the amount of hype he’s getting on here.

It's simply a matter of him breaking out this year after a change in his plate approach coupled with his age and there being a clear place for him on the MLB roster. Power/speed/near MLB ready elements are always going to generate fantasy interest. As you can see by this thread only being 7 pages long (not 33 like Wander's was), he didn't come into this year with a lot of fanfare, so surprise breakouts tend to lead to newly generated discussion.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StartYourStuds said:

You’d think this guy was the top prospect in baseball with the amount of hype he’s getting on here.

He’s certainly not the top prospect in baseball but I think I could make the argument that he’s the #1 stash in redrafts right now. In dynasty there are several minor leaguers I’d rather own, but given his close proximity to the majors and what he potentially could offer, in redrafts I’d have him over Kelenic, Brujan, Adell, et all. He could be up any day now and has an enticing power/speed combo with the potential to bat leadoff in a top 10 offense.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, meh2 said:

He’s certainly not the top prospect in baseball but I think I could make the argument that he’s the #1 stash in redrafts right now. In dynasty there are several minor leaguers I’d rather own, but given his close proximity to the majors and what he potentially could offer, in redrafts I’d have him over Kelenic, Brujan, Adell, et all. He could be up any day now and has an enticing power/speed combo with the potential to bat leadoff in a top 10 offense.

He realistically now does have the ability to come in and perform as well or better than guys like Wander, Kelenic or Witt. It’s unlikely, but just because prospect lists say one thing, actual MLB opportunity and performance - when the rubber meets the road - is all that matters. Duran has all the offensive tools now that he’s changed his approach at the plate hitting for massive power and retaining his plus hit tool along with plus plus speed. It’s easy to forget that guys like Judge were back-end top 100 prospects but come to the league, adapted and changed everything about their prospect perceptions. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, meh2 said:

He’s certainly not the top prospect in baseball but I think I could make the argument that he’s the #1 stash in redrafts right now. In dynasty there are several minor leaguers I’d rather own, but given his close proximity to the majors and what he potentially could offer, in redrafts I’d have him over Kelenic, Brujan, Adell, et all. He could be up any day now and has an enticing power/speed combo with the potential to bat leadoff in a top 10 offense.

He is a better redraft than Wander Franco too. Franco minor league steals and caught stealing is identical. That won't be sustainable in the MLB. At best what is Franco, can give you batting average and home runs? He is developing his power so that's not a given either and he is so young. There will be bumps in the road before he gets really good.

All in all I think Duran is the best redraft prospects for 2021. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Miketrout009 said:

 

All in all I think Duran is the best redraft prospects for 2021. 

You mean among guys who aren't already in the majors, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, TheForearmShiver said:

He realistically now does have the ability to come in and perform as well or better than guys like .... Kelenic ...

That would not be difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, collucho said:

Anyone else think its funny they make this kid switch to OF then complain about his defense all so they can call up Michael Chavis to replace Arroyo when it could've easily been Duran? 

I don't really remember when he was a different prospect outside of OF.  Looking at the 2019 fangraphs prospect list and shows him at CF then too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't really remember when he was a different prospect outside of OF.  Looking at the 2019 fangraphs prospect list and shows him at CF then too.

I wonder at this point in time whether he is a better CF or 2B defensively after growing up a 2B but playing OF strictly in his professional career. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...