Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jarren Duran - OF Bos


Osu1456
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't really remember when he was a different prospect outside of OF.  Looking at the 2019 fangraphs prospect list and shows him at CF then too.

He has been an outfield almost his entire pro career. I think the Sox might have let him a play a little middle infield his first season at short A in 18. But he came up through college at 2B/SS. I watched him at Long Beach State and he was their primary 2B. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at the game last night and the kid put on a show. In addition to the 2 HRs, he made TWO impressive catches in CF that we’re tough to get to. Any questions about his defense or tracking ability in the OF appear to be nothing more than excuses at this point. 
CALL. HIM. UP.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty good summary of why a call up may happen in the next couple of days:

I’ve been wrong on this twice already but it makes sense. Bogaerts and Devers both got the call during a road trip on the west coast.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

While we're trying to read tea leaves: Is there any other good reason why he wouldn't be in the Futures game roster if it weren't for an impending call up?  

 

It’s one of three possible reasons: the Sox notified the Futures game reps of an impending call up, there’s a conflict with when workouts begin for the Olympics in mid July, or he was just overlooked. An impending call up seems to make the most sense. I’m sure Team USA would’ve been fine with him arriving a day or two late and that first game doesn’t even happen until July 28th. I’m not sure why they even need to have any workouts for Team USA- these guys are already playing meaningful games at high levels.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

 

Yeah - his absence from the Futures Game roster was discussed here yesterday - definitely hoping it's related to an imminent call up.

As an aside, yesterday's game was suspended due to weather in the top of the 3rd inning, but Duran had a walk, 2 SB's and a run in 2 AB's so far. Always great to see the speed aspect of his game continue to manifest itself given that the power has been spotlighted more than anything else lately.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay look I own Duran too.  I'd love to see him come up.  I really really would.  But some of you guys are looking at this with tunnel vision.  Or Duran only vision.  It isn't all about him  here.

Thing is the Red Sox currently have no need to call him up right now.  They have won 51 games without him.  They have one of the best offenses in baseball so far this season.  They have won 8 games in a row now.  They are hot.  Hell both Marwin and Santana had 3 hits each today with Santana hitting a homer in that 15 to 1 massacre.  They can't even cut these guys at this point.  Also Kike is on fire.

I think it will take a cold spell or an injury to get him up because it is about the need of the team.  The Boston team; not our fantasy teams.  How well Duran is doing is only half the equation. Actually less than half the equation.

Also about all the homers.  The new ball park in Worcester has already become known locally as a home run derby type of park due to wind patterns etc so you have to view any stats coming out of there as weighted that way.  Doesn't mean Duran wouldn't hit them out of a regular park -- he certainly would -- but the new WooSox park is going to mess with and skew home run stats for everyone playing there.  So heads up on any Red Sox prospect's stats at AAA going forward.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay look I own Duran too.  I'd love to see him come up.  I really really would.  But some of you guys are looking at this with tunnel vision.  Or Duran only vision.  It isn't all about him  here.

Thing is the Red Sox currently have no need to call him up right now.  They have won 51 games without him.  They have one of the best offenses in baseball so far this season.  They have won 8 games in a row now.  They are hot.  Hell both Marwin and Santana had 3 hits each today with Santana hitting a homer in that 15 to 1 massacre.  They can't even cut these guys at this point.  Also Kike is on fire.

I think it will take a cold spell or an injury to get him up because it is about the need of the team.  The Boston team; not our fantasy teams.  How well Duran is doing is only half the equation. Actually less than half the equation.

Also about all the homers.  The new ball park in Worcester has already become known locally as a home run derby type of park due to wind patterns etc so you have to view any stats coming out of there as weighted that way.  Doesn't mean Duran wouldn't hit them out of a regular park -- he certainly would -- but the new WooSox park is going to mess with and skew home run stats for everyone playing there.  So heads up on any Red Sox prospect's stats at AAA going forward.

I agree that Danny Santana’s big day today just killed any momentum for a call up and I agree that the Worcester park is likely inflating his stats some. But I disagree that Boston’s success is a reason to not call him up when his addition would likely make the team even better. The Yanks and Jays are actually projected by Fangraphs to win more games than Boston rest of season and we know that Tampa will likely be there all season. Every win will matter in that division and Boston is going to need to keep scoring a ton of runs on a nightly basis given that wretched pitching staff to stay ahead of 3 really good teams. Even after Santana’s big day his wRC+ stands at 56.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay look I own Duran too.  I'd love to see him come up.  I really really would.  But some of you guys are looking at this with tunnel vision.  Or Duran only vision.  It isn't all about him  here.

Thing is the Red Sox currently have no need to call him up right now.  They have won 51 games without him.  They have one of the best offenses in baseball so far this season.  They have won 8 games in a row now.  They are hot.  Hell both Marwin and Santana had 3 hits each today with Santana hitting a homer in that 15 to 1 massacre.  They can't even cut these guys at this point.  Also Kike is on fire.

I think it will take a cold spell or an injury to get him up because it is about the need of the team.  The Boston team; not our fantasy teams.  How well Duran is doing is only half the equation. Actually less than half the equation.

Also about all the homers.  The new ball park in Worcester has already become known locally as a home run derby type of park due to wind patterns etc so you have to view any stats coming out of there as weighted that way.  Doesn't mean Duran wouldn't hit them out of a regular park -- he certainly would -- but the new WooSox park is going to mess with and skew home run stats for everyone playing there.  So heads up on any Red Sox prospect's stats at AAA going forward.

Well if there not planning on calling him up soon than I wonder what the excuse is for Duran not being on the Future's roster?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I agree that Danny Santana’s big day today just killed any momentum for a call up and I agree that the Worcester park is likely inflating his stats some. But I disagree that Boston’s success is a reason to not call him up when his addition would likely make the team even better. The Yanks and Jays are actually projected by Fangraphs to win more games than Boston rest of season and we know that Tampa will likely be there all season. Every win will matter in that division and Boston is going to need to keep scoring a ton of runs on a nightly basis given that wretched pitching staff to stay ahead of 3 really good teams. Even after Santana’s big day his wRC+ stands at 56.

The Yankees and Blue Jays were projected to be better than the Sox at the start of the season too.  In fact the Yankees were suppose to be juggernauts and the Red Sox were suppose to be battling the O's for the cellar as they rebuilt.  But projections are just that.  That is why they actually play games, not just project them.

They can't cut either Santana or Marwin (they LOVE his glove) at this point without some other team picking them up on waivers most likely.  So to cut one is a final move unlike options to the minors would be.  And contracts to consider too.  And we don't even know how they would effect the clubhouse chemistry if they were sent away and what they add to it by their presence.

Meanwhile Kike is white hot this past week and has pretty much grabbed centerfield in the short term so now there is blockage there.  Arroyo will be back soon and they love that guy too.  Active roster is overflowing right now.

So if they keep winning then baseball always embraces "if it ain't broke" and always will and vets will get first consideration.  Thus it has been and thus it always will be, alas.  There may be stats and reason and even common sense that says Duran will help the big club more but the fact is he hasn't yet so is the "unknown" versus the "known" that is working just fine for now thank you.

So I still think it will take an injury to get Duran up or a LONG team dry spell.  It's only halfway through the season so one or the other or more likely both are bound to happen along the way.  Until then you just got to wait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'd think we would have heard something by now if he was going to join the team on the West Coast.

I think it is notable that the Red Sox play the Yankees (July 15th-18th), Blue Jays (19th-21st), Yankees (22nd-25th), Blue Jays (26th-29th), Rays (30th-Aug. 1st)...right before the trade deadline. That's 18 straight games against division rivals/AL East, arguably one of their most important stretches of the year.

But Big Bat Theory made good points above, and it might be likely the Red Sox cling to their vets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was mentioned that the Red Sox are so hot offensively that there’s no reason to bring him up. Conversely however, it’s a terrible idea to bring up your top prospect when your offense is scuffling. Then there’s the weight of the world on their shoulders to be the offensive savior. It actually makes every bit of sense to bring a guy like Duran up while the team is hot so the pressure is low and inserting them into a hot lineup can only increase their chances of seeing better pitches and hitting their stride sooner. At almost 25, he’s gonna have to come up sooner or later, why not put him in the best position to succeed?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

It was mentioned that the Red Sox are so hot offensively that there’s no reason to bring him up. Conversely however, it’s a terrible idea to bring up your top prospect when your offense is scuffling. Then there’s the weight of the world on their shoulders to be the offensive savior. It actually makes every bit of sense to bring a guy like Duran up while the team is hot so the pressure is low and inserting them into a hot lineup can only increase their chances of seeing better pitches and hitting their stride sooner. At almost 25, he’s gonna have to come up sooner or later, why not put him in the best position to succeed?

 

This. Bringing up a guy who is clearly ready, playing well at the moment and the big league club is playing well so he can have limited pressure is the ideal way (IMO) to handle it IMO. With that said, they need to be able to get consistent ABs otherwise it doesn't make sense.  It was mentioned that it makes no sense to bring him up now because they're playing well. My question would be "what's the alternative? Wait until the team is in a huge slump and he is needed and the pressure is on?"

I prefer scenario 1:

Scenario 1: Player playing well, clearly ready, team playing well. Player can come up, bat at end of lineup with limited pressure while feeding off his teammates who are playing well.

Scenario 2: Player maybe starts to slump a bit (missed window of him being hot). Big league team is also scuffling but an injury or ineffectiveness pops up. Player is then brought up to be the savior and take on more pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Not on the Olympic squad either soooo...

 

Woah. Not on Futures team, not on Olympic team. This has to guarantee he'll be up in the next 2-3 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand this from the business end, but it sucks for Jarren the individual. I know that's just the life of a minor leaguer, but seems kind of unfair to the guy. No imminent callup, no starring in the futures, and no Olympics. Just because Red Sox want to keep their options open. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

I understand this from the business end, but it sucks for Jarren the individual. I know that's just the life of a minor leaguer, but seems kind of unfair to the guy. No imminent callup, no starring in the futures, and no Olympics. Just because Red Sox want to keep their options open. 

Right. IMO, there's just no way they can leave him off the Olympic roster and then call him up after its conclusion. Red Sox wanted the option of being able to call him up during his Olympic stint. USOC said that wasn't OK with them.

The Red Sox will now have to honor the missed opportunity. He'll be up at the start of the second half, if not sooner.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...