NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jarren Duran - OF Bos

Osu1456

7 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

... At almost 25, he’s gonna have to come up sooner or later, why not put him in the best position to succeed?

They are more interested in putting the team in a position to succeed as in make the playoffs.  It isn't about an individual prospect when a team is contending.

6 hours ago, panthersfan75 said:

FYI Alex Speier is the best baseball reporter in Boston.  If I trust anyone on the outside looking in I trust him.

6 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

I understand this from the business end, but it sucks for Jarren the individual. I know that's just the life of a minor leaguer, but seems kind of unfair to the guy. No imminent callup, no starring in the futures, and no Olympics. Just because Red Sox want to keep their options open. 

That's what teams do.  A team sport is a team sport.

37 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Eric Longenhagen's take in his daily prospect notes two days ago at Fangraphs:

"What is Boston waiting for here? I don’t think Duran is a slam dunk center fielder just because he’s fast, but I think he’d likely outproduce Danny Santana and Marwin Gonzalez right now. Every game counts in the AL East. "

Well Mr Eric the thing is they need a couple of good UTILITY players that can play a lot of positions.  Marwin can play anywhere other than catcher.  And play that position pretty darn well.  Defense is important in real baseball if not fantasy baseball.  Santana has played all 8 positions in the past too. The worst pressure would be to bring Duran up and expect him to deal with playing 8 different positions out of the gate.

Again, injury or team slump.  Or a trade since everyone always wants more pitching.  Yes Sale may be back for the stretch drive but a bullpen that is doing good now can go south easily.  Bullpens are a fragile thing.  And starters can go down.  Or go way south ... looking at you Garrett "they took my sticky stuff away, not fair" Richards.

Look most everyone in this thread owns Duran as do I but our selfish fantasy needs aren't on the Red Sox radar.  They signed these vets to one year deals or in Santana's case a minor league deal because this was suppose to be a rebuilding year before Duran, Triston Casas and Jeter Downs would be coming up.  They have had magic in a bottle so far instead but that magic has happened with these vets.  They aren't going to rock the boat until it needs to be rocked.

And I've run out of metaphors for now.  🖐️

Posted (edited)

Again someone quoting this Eric Cross guy.  Who is he?  Sounds more like a fantasy baseball website type than a real reporter.

I think the real "stash" is just the Red Sox doing the "in case of emergency break glass and bring him up" due diligence.  Seems St Louis may be doing that with Matthew Liberatore as well. 

The Olympics would keep both players away for a pretty long time especially if they have to quarantine coming back from Japan which is having a major outbreak the same time as the games.  Delta variant is no joke.  I don't know if that is the case now but things are fluid and can change on a day to day basis. 

Seems both the Sox and Cardinals want to both protect their star prospects and keep them handy and nearby if needed.  Injuries happen every day in baseball.  Calling someone up from Japan is not a good thing if that happens.

PS:  Just read in Baz thread that if US makes it to the gold medal game that won't happen until August 7th.  So yeah no sudden call-up that I see but no way do the Sox want Duran unavailable for the next month plus either.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

If the BoSox call up Duran and he stumbles just the slightest bit, he'l have less trade value then he does right now. If they have the need, bring him up for sure. Otherwise go into the trade season with an untarnished trade chip. They either get top dollar in a trade or he becomes their trade deadline acquisition.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Again someone quoting this Eric Cross guy.  Who is he?  Sounds more like a fantasy baseball website type than a real reporter.

I think the real "stash" is just the Red Sox doing the "in case of emergency break glass and bring him up" due diligence.  Seems St Louis may be doing that with Matthew Liberatore as well. 

The Olympics would keep both players away for a pretty long time especially if they have to quarantine coming back from Japan which is having a major outbreak the same time as the games.  Delta variant is no joke.  I don't know if that is the case now but things are fluid and can change on a day to day basis. 

Seems both the Sox and Cardinals want to both protect their star prospects and keep them handy and nearby if needed.  Injuries happen every day in baseball.  Calling someone up from Japan is not a good thing if that happens.

PS:  Just read in Baz thread that if US makes it to the gold medal game that won't happen until August 7th.  So yeah no sudden call-up that I see but no way do the Sox want Duran unavailable for the next month plus either.

Eric Cross is Fantrax’s lead dynasty and prospect guy. He’s also a Red Sox fan so he’s not some rando dude. He’s also not an insider. He’s pretty well in tune with prospects and the Red Sox though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pan55 said:

If the BoSox call up Duran and he stumbles just the slightest bit, he'l have less trade value then he does right now. If they have the need, bring him up for sure. Otherwise go into the trade season with an untarnished trade chip. They either get top dollar in a trade or he becomes their trade deadline acquisition.

Sox have stated recently they are not going to trade away their top prospects.  Duran is not available to other teams.  He is seen as one of the core players long term.  Thank goodness Dombrowski is gone and they are thinking long term again.

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Eric Cross is Fantrax’s lead dynasty and prospect guy. He’s also a Red Sox fan so he’s not some rando dude. He’s also not an insider. He’s pretty well in tune with prospects and the Red Sox though. 

That figures.  Just a mere Stat Boy skewed to fantasy baseball only.

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Sox have stated recently they are not going to trade away their top prospects.  Duran is not available to other teams.  He is seen as one of the core players long term.  Thank goodness Dombrowski is gone and they are thinking long term again.

That figures.  Just a mere Stat Boy skewed to fantasy baseball only.

Which is literally the entire purpose of this website and forum...so completely relevant. However, I did mention that he’s a Sox fan so his interest in the team is probably greater to or equal to his fantasy interests. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for video above confirming that it would take an injury to call him up.  And nice to know they said "first up" if an injury occurs.

Also got to see him briefly today on NESN2 as they has the WooSox game on.  Looks so young and even small next to Christian Arroyo who is rehabbing out there.

I caught two AB's. Didn't look good on one where they fed him low inside breaking stuff to strike him out and announcers said that he still needs to improve dealing with breaking balls.  Pitcher in that case was 33 year old Adam Warren who is a MLB vet that signed minor league contract with the Yankee's.  So he knew how to get Duran to chase. 

Second AB pitcher left the ball up some and he hit a nice, sharp line drive for a hit.  Nice smooth swing.

• Like 1

What those posters are forgetting is that Marwin is a really good, versatile fielder who can play all positions except catcher.  Yes they don't need both him and Santana since they are basically a roster slot clones of each other for super utility guy.  And of the two Marwin has been more useful because of his glove.  But unless Santana is willing to take a minor league assignment they are in no hurry to cut him.

Durran can be a good player but he isn't the second coming of Mike Trout.  Unfortunately people are acting like he is which isn't fair to him.  Also those poor swings he took today chasing breaking balls in the game today in Worchester say he needs some work on same.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What those posters are forgetting is that Marwin is a really good, versatile fielder who can play all positions except catcher.  Yes they don't need both him and Santana since they are basically a roster slot clones of each other for super utility guy.  And of the two Marwin has been more useful because of his glove.  But unless Santana is willing to take a minor league assignment they are in no hurry to cut him.

Durran can be a good player but he isn't the second coming of Mike Trout.  Unfortunately people are acting like he is which isn't fair to him.  Also those poor swings he took today chasing breaking balls in the game today in Worchester say he needs some work on same.

what you're forgetting is that you are a homer and will back any decision the red sox front desk makes. santana is hitting under .200, marwin .207. who cares about position eligibility at that point. that is below replacement level. So tired of seeing you defend the Red Sox with any excuse. Stop backing the dumb monetary decisions of your club and realize that it's time to dump the trash hitting .185 and .207

Edited by desert86
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, desert86 said:

what you're forgetting is that you are a homer and will back any decision the red sox front desk makes. santana is hitting under .200, marwin .207. who cares about position eligibility at that point. that is below replacement level. So tired of seeing you defend the Red Sox with any excuse. Stop backing the dumb monetary decisions of your club and realize that it's time to dump the trash hitting .185 and .207

What you are forgetting is that I regularly rip the Red Sox for stuff they do.  Please get your facts straight.  I am no fanboy type.  But I am not alone here in knowing how real baseball teams work which has nothing to do with fantasy baseball. 

These aren't excuses; these are the reasons most teams would use.  There has always been a prejudice in favor of vets in baseball.  Have you not noticed this obvious fact?  Franco could have been called up late last summer but TB didn't.  There sure were people on this forum "screaming" at them  to do just that.  They didn't hear you.

I have stated again and again here that I own Durran in a full dynasty league and would LOVE to have him called up.  Guess you didn't read that part either.

I gave some  of the reasons why he hasn't been called up yet.  I'm a realist, not some "homie" supporter of any front office ever.  Guess you haven't read many of my countless tirades against the Red Sox front office in the past over stupid mult-year contracts etc.  I suggest you do before you step in it again here.

PS:  BTW did you see his game today (Worschester vs Scranton) on TV that NESN2 broadcast?  Did you see him look totally lost against an endless diet of breaking balls down in that one AB?  Don't you want him to adjust to same before he is called  up and feels the pressure of trying to adjust with the big spot light on him?

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What you are forgetting is that I regularly rip the Red Sox for stuff they do.  Please get your facts straight.  I am no fanboy type.  But I am not alone here in knowing how real baseball teams work which has nothing to do with fantasy baseball. 

These aren't excuses; these are the reasons most teams would use.  There has always been a prejudice in favor of vets in baseball.  Have you not noticed this obvious fact?  Franco could have been called up late last summer but TB didn't.  There sure were people on this forum "screaming" at them  to do just that.  They didn't hear you.

I have stated again and again here that I own Durran in a full dynasty league and would LOVE to have him called up.  Guess you didn't read that part either.

I gave some  of the reasons why he hasn't been called up yet.  I'm a realist, not some "homie" supporter of any front office ever.  Guess you haven't read many of my countless tirades against the Red Sox front office in the past over stupid mult-year contracts etc.  I suggest you do before you step in it again here.

PS:  BTW did you see his game today (Worschester vs Scranton) on TV that NESN2 broadcast?  Did you see him look totally lost against an endless diet of breaking balls down in that one AB?  Don't you want him to adjust to same before he is called  up and feels the pressure of trying to adjust with the big spot light on him?

I read every incoherent post you made and learned nothing from any of it except that you support red sox front office. i've read every one of your countless post and they constantly back the front office and their lack of promoting durran. Don't give a f--- that you're a dynasty holder on one of your teams prospects, do give a f--- that you keep backing the decisions of a team that needs every win and keeps employing 2 players hitting .185 and .207. 

PS. I don't give a f--- about him looking lost against a 30 year old AAA pitcher when he has proved he needs to see MLB pitching. Was he bored and didn't care, was he trying who knows. Maybe he's tired of the screw job and not getting olympic status, futures game status etc. End of day the red sox are holding santana and gonzalez bothi hitting under .207 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, desert86 said:

I read every incoherent post you made and learned nothing from any of it except that you support red sox front office. i've read every one of your countless post and they constantly back the front office and their lack of promoting durran. Don't give a f--- that you're a dynasty holder on one of your teams prospects, do give a f--- that you keep backing the decisions of a team that needs every win and keeps employing 2 players hitting .185 and .207. 

PS. I don't give a f--- about him looking lost against a 30 year old AAA pitcher when he has proved he needs to see MLB pitching. Was he bored and didn't care, was he trying who knows. Maybe he's tired of the screw job and not getting olympic status, futures game status etc. End of day the red sox are holding santana and gonzalez bothi hitting under .207 

End of the day I just really don't get how you can back a team holding down a prospect when they have 2 players hitting .185 and .207. if you can explain that coherently i'll back off.

Santana's now batting .174 after tonight's 0 for 5 collar. It's time. Let Hernandez and Gonzalez share 2B and call the soon to be 25 year old up.

"But Duran can't hit a breaking ball"

Santana can barely hit anything.

"Duran isn't Trout"

No one is saying he is or will be. No one. I saw one individual comment that he believes he'll be better than Wander for this season only based on Duran being closer to physically mature - but that was about it. Saying stuff like "stop acting like he's Mike Trout" isn't going to make anyone excited about Duran's potential suddenly realize how wrong they've been to be excited about it. Prospects succeed or fail all the time.

"Sharing opinions from stat-nerd fantasy analysts is worthless"

No more or less worthless than us sharing our own opinions here. In my opinion, Duran has shown enough this year to be given a chance - he's of age, there's a clear pathway to playing time and the lineup could use his particular skillset. If he performs like Kelenic did, use an option on him - and whoever they replace Duran with down the road can't be much worse than Santana is right now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I know you don’t support every decision the Red Sox front office makes, but your stance on this is a little peculiar. I’m not sure why you think losing Danny Santana would be a bad thing. He’s 30 years old and has had 1 good year in the last 7 years. Even then it came with a juiced ball and a walk rate below 5% and k rate above 29%. Yes, he can play multiple positions but how much good is it if he’s below average defensively at most if not all of those positions and is below average with the bat? You could literally pluck a dude from independent ball to do the same. If they DFA him teams aren’t going to be lining up to get a crack at him. I’m pretty sure he’d happily accept an assignment to Worcester since it’s such a great hitting environment. DFA him, add Duran to the 40 man and promote him, DFA Andriese as well, recall Houck, bring back Arroyo for Chavis when he’s ready and the Sox become a much better team! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

I know you don’t support every decision the Red Sox front office makes, but your stance on this is a little peculiar. I’m not sure why you think losing Danny Santana would be a bad thing. He’s 30 years old and has had 1 good year in the last 7 years. Even then it came with a juiced ball and a walk rate below 5% and k rate above 29%. Yes, he can play multiple positions but how much good is it if he’s below average defensively at most if not all of those positions and is below average with the bat? You could literally pluck a dude from independent ball to do the same. If they DFA him teams aren’t going to be lining up to get a crack at him. I’m pretty sure he’d happily accept an assignment to Worcester since it’s such a great hitting environment. DFA him, add Duran to the 40 man and promote him, DFA Andriese as well, recall Houck, bring back Arroyo for Chavis when he’s ready and the Sox become a much better team! 

Again, how is explaining what s happening the same as supporting what is happening.

I'm a fantasy baseball "player" and I would love for ALL my prospects to get called up and youth to play over vets.  But it isn't going to happen.  That is all I have been saying.  This isn't how real baseball works and it never has been.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Again, how is explaining what s happening the same as supporting what is happening.

I'm a fantasy baseball "player" and I would love for ALL my prospects to get called up and youth to play over vets.  But it isn't going to happen.  That is all I have been saying.  This isn't how real baseball works and it never has been.

But are you even explaining it all that well? You yourself said that the Red Sox don’t need them both, and that they are slot clones of one another.

You also keep using one bad at bat as a strike against Duran, but he followed up that one at bat with a great at bat, which is one of the things that the Red Sox very own front office claimed they needed to see. 

You can keep citing “real baseball”, but there is no law or rule book that dictates what “real baseball” must look like. Teams do as they will, and that makes criticism fair game. Especially when a team continues to play subpar performers. Definition of insanity right?

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So now we base our evaluation of players on 1 AB?

• Like 1