Miles Sanders 2019 Outlook

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I learned absolutely nothing on the Eagles RB situation today

Howard has looked like himself a boring plodding RB that runs into his Oline and leans forward for a 2-4 yards.  Sanders looks far more dynamic but he's also a rookie and with that comes some roo

Miles Sanders: 5-11, 211 lbs.  Drafted 52nd overall.  4.49 40-yard dash.  4.19 20-yard shuttle.  6.89 3-cone drill.   Lesean McCoy: 5-11, 210 lbs.  Drafted 52nd overall.  4.48 40-yard dash.  4.18

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, FantasyGOAT said:

I read somewhere that Howard was getting the 1st team reps this week at practices. Anyone know if this is true?

Would make sense.   Unfortunately. 

He may not be as explosive as Sanders but he's more powerful.   The line is good enough that he works fine in this offense.

He also looks fine catching the ball.  And doesn't have the ball security issues. 

Hard to objectively look at the situation and say that Sanders merits more work than Howard.

Still, I would like to see Sanders out there instead of Sproles.  

Edited by K197040

Sanders had a terrible fumble rate in college and this is one of the things that put me off him in drafts.  If a rookie fumbles he'll often just get buried.  And it probably affects the coaches' thinking about using him at the goal line.

But really the issue is this: Sanders is dancing a lot and his vision isn't great.  He will improve, and he has a bit already.  The NFL game takes a bit to get used to.  Sanders's talent is obvious and he's working on unlocking it.  Once he learns to hit the hole first and make his move second he'll be great.  That may happen later this year or it may take a while.  \

The other issue is that Howard is playing well.  These guys are complimenting each other nicely and there's no way the coaching staff feels like they need to make a change last night.  They were brutalizing GB on the ground using their tandem of backs.  Somewhere Larry Czonka and Mercury Morris must have been nodding with approval.

1. Seems like there are a lot of folks here who meant to post in the Howard thread...
  3. My take: they both looked good for different reasons. Some concerns remain with Miles (notably the ball security as others have noted balls almost coming loose) but he also flashed and demonstrated progress from his first few games.
  5. Yesterday’s game was probably best case scenario for dynasty owners, and decently positive for redraft as well - as the stage may be set for a late 2019 season boom. I try to consider this in the context of Miles’ development as a player. Remember he only started ONE season at Penn. This sort of a start to the season, while not gratifying to drooling redrafters expecting instant profit, is very promising.
  7. And to those of you comparing Miles:Howard, remember Howard had 3x the college carries and three FULL years of NFL experience under his belt. It just isn't a fair comparison to make at the overall player level. Yet.
  9. Fantasy football isn’t a point in time. It’s a trending chart. At this trajectory, Miles' chart is just getting started.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, TLBDS said:
  1. Seems like there are a lot of folks here who meant to post in the Howard thread...
  3. My take: they both looked good for different reasons. Some concerns remain with Miles (notably the ball security as others have noted balls almost coming loose) but he also flashed and demonstrated progress from his first few games.
  5. Yesterday’s game was probably best case scenario for dynasty owners, and decently positive for redraft as well - as the stage may be set for a late 2019 season boom. I try to consider this in the context of Miles’ development as a player. Remember he only started ONE season at Penn. This sort of a start to the season, while not gratifying to drooling redrafters expecting instant profit, is very promising.
  7. And to those of you comparing Miles:Howard, remember Howard had 3x the college carries and three FULL years of NFL experience under his belt. It just isn't a fair comparison to make at the overall player level. Yet.
  9. Fantasy football isn’t a point in time. It’s a trending chart. At this trajectory, Miles' chart is just getting started.

Sorry the truth hurts. Are we not allowed to say anything positive about Howard in here? It directly effects Sanders usage. 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

LOL.  OK, so maybe you can feel good about his dynasty prospects.  But there are certainly a lot of us here who play in season long redraft +/- keepers.  How is watching Jordan Howard run like a beast and score 3 TDs the "best case scenario for [Sanders] dynasty owners".  Huh?  And yes, Howard has more experience in both college and in the pros.  That's why he's called a veteran, while Sanders is a young rookie.  That's why Howard has Pederson's trust and gets the rock in the red zone.

Sanders looked good last night.  But no matter how you look at it - even if it doesn't fit the Sanders truthers narrative - Jordan Howard is not going away.  Which limits Sanders upside.  And sadly it doesn't justify when everyone was grabbing Sanders first and leaving Howard for dead.

• Thanks 1
Just now, CooL said:

LOL.  OK, so maybe you can feel good about his dynasty prospects.  But there are certainly a lot of us here who play in season long redraft +/- keepers.  How is watching Jordan Howard run like a beast and score 3 TDs the "best case scenario for [Sanders] dynasty owners".  Huh?  And yes, Howard has more experience in both college and in the pros.  That's why he's called a veteran, while Sanders is a young rookie.  That's why Howard has Pederson's trust and gets the rock in the red zone.

Sanders looked good last night.  But no matter how you look at it - even if it doesn't fit the Sanders truthers narrative - Jordan Howard is not going away.  Which limits Sanders upside.  And sadly it doesn't justify when everyone was grabbing Sanders first and leaving Howard for dead.

1. I fully agree with you. I also would not be trading for Howard, nor would I feel comfortable starting him barring a Miles injury or thin bench. Neither of these guys is startable.
  3. The reason you hang onto Howard is so you can plug him in a pinch.
  5. The reason you hang onto Miles is that there's a chance he can be a home run hitter as soon as the end of this season.

IMO.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

Perfectly stated.   Although both these backs benefitted from a porous GB line.   2 games in a row now the Pack have been blasted by rbs on the ground and short passes.   Neither eagles back is the complete package.   It could have easily been Sanders with a TD or two and a bigger score than Howard.    JH just happened to be in for the more successful plays this week.  🤷‍♂️ Means little for next week.   

Too many posters in here wasting time harping on a sunk cost like where u drafted Sanders.   Doesn’t matter.   What does matter is what we can expect on the field moving forward.    Unpredictable timeshare. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

Wow, you have a very different opinion of last nights performance. Howard looked beastly, I don’t care what anyone says on here. If you came away not impressed than I don’t know what to tell you. 

Sanders owner, not a Howard owner. Things have looked a bit different for these guys play to play, let alone week to week.

My overall take on last night? Beastly is an overstatement. Howard looked great, but his top speed looked severely lacking for a running back. Sanders didn't look good at all overall imo (things guys in here are impressed with, any back in the league can do, and his vision and dancing are worse than most), but we all know he has the ability to hit the home run ball.

My expectation if they keep playing like this is that Sanders will still be involved no matter what. My expectation, though, is that this is one of Howard's better games, and one of Miles's worse ones. And Miles still got like 6 yards per carry, granted the Packer run d is one of the worst in the league.

• Haha 1

i put this one on pederson.  he came out of training camp hyping him up like he was the second coming of zeke or saquon, and tried to force him into that role.  instead he should have let him get his sea legs a bit and hopefully build momentum into the second half of the season.  howard is more than a jag, but not enough to become a bellcow.  philly offense still has room to grow once/if they get fully healthy, so i am hoping miles still becomes someone who we can start come week 10 on.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, herschel said:

i put this one on pederson.  he came out of training camp hyping him up like he was the second coming of zeke or saquon, and tried to force him into that role.  instead he should have let him get his sea legs a bit and hopefully build momentum into the second half of the season.  howard is more than a jag, but not enough to become a bellcow.  philly offense still has room to grow once/if they get fully healthy, so i am hoping miles still becomes someone who we can start come week 10 on.....

I'm hoping that he can get some of the Sproles work.   I think it's a little tougher for the defense to figure out if Sanders is in there. 

One thing that occurred to me...if Pederson does have some concern about Sander's fumbling, why is he returning kicks?   Seems like the last thing you'd want to do is turn the ball back over to a team that just scored on you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

It was obviously Jacobs this year. I knew that after watching him concuss a would be tackler in the title game last year. 

Sure...but there's another stat that shows that RB's on bottom 10 offenses rarely finish in the top 12. 

Edited by K197040
33 minutes ago, K197040 said:

One thing that occurred to me...if Pederson does have some concern about Sander's fumbling, why is he returning kicks?   Seems like the last thing you'd want to do is turn the ball back over to a team that just scored on you. 

Very good point. I think next week sanders will get his chance to shine (sanders owner here lol)

• Haha 1

Sanders has a problem with being decisive right now and while he has decent speed he's not bursting through seams.

When there's a wide-open, obvious hole Sanders hits it hard, but on plays where a lane is slower to develop he trots/chop steps towards his blockers and either gets grabbed at the line or trotting his way through a hole for a small gain when there were more yards to be had if he hit it hard and accelerates quickly. This is particularly evident on their stretch run plays.

Howard on the other hand was running aggressively last night which is why he had great production and earned the red zone/goal line confidence of the coaching staff. 

It's encouraging to see Sanders at least make the mental attempt to follow the play design and his blockers and obviously not everyone is Bell or Shady, with quick bursts and agility to get them through the seams with immediacy, but the Eagles line is good and unless Sanders starts running harder he's not going to be able to put enough good stuff on film weekly to warrant stepping up his role.

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched the game last night and have zero shares. But I was playing a guy who had him in at flex. Gotta say, made me nervous every time he touched that ball.. looked like he was close to breaking open a few big plays. I know the Packers Run D was awful, but I thought he looked pretty good with his opportunities. The ball security is definitely an issue. Close fumble in the red zone.

• Haha 1

Both Sanders and Howard will have a roll. Howard is the thumper, wear the defense down and goal line back. Sanders is everything in between. Neither one of these guys are great at everything so they kind of compliment each other. Neither one will be a workhorse especially not under Pederson.

• Like 1

Sproles was involved in Week 1, but since then over three weeks he has had 3 carries and was targeted 4 times. Not a blip on the radar.

I think Sanders will continue to excel. He's a compliment to Howard, so it's a situation I'd like to avoid. Hoping by week 9 or 10 he's startable. You know, like when Hunt comes back and "replaces" Nick Chubb.