NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Williams 2019 Outlook

BrianM

Only 66 targets last season, but he turned that into 664 yards, and found the end zone 11 times, counting a rush.  

Are we on the cusp of greatness, or is he just a guy who will see TD regression and wind up a bust?

• Like 1

Tyrell had 64 targets.  Williams safe bet to get half of those.  I'd expect maybe like 850-900 yards.  TDs are tough to count on, especially with Henry back working the middle, but Williams makes his hay there so I think 8+ is safe to count on.  A fine floor for a 5th round WR.

The real upside in this pick is that Keenan Allen always gets hurt.  Williams steps into a monster role if/when Keenan misses time.  Exceptional ceiling.  I'm not reaching a great distance for Mike Williams when the time comes, but I'll reach a little, and gladly take him at cost most every time.

• Like 3

I like Williams as a flex piece. I do't trust the week to week production will probably have some monster weeks followed by some fantasy negligent games but defintiely has wr2 upside as long as Rivers gets him the ball consistently

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

The real upside in this pick is that Keenan Allen always gets hurt.  Williams steps into a monster role if/when Keenan misses time.  Exceptional ceiling.  I'm not reaching a great distance for Mike Williams when the time comes, but I'll reach a little, and gladly take him at cost most every time.

I get your point on MWilliam's potential upside but Keenan Allen has played the full 16 games the last 2 seasons...just saying....

Edited by J.T. Marlin
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

I get your point on MWilliam's potential upside but Keenan Allen has played the full 16 games the last 2 seasons...just saying....

Not full 16 games.  He got knocked out for this or that.

Fair to say though -- maybe he's not as injury prone as I think.

kid's a legit FREAST (freak/beast hybrid)

i prefer him this year over KA because he does one thing sosososososo much better than #13- HE SCORES TDs.

Phil gonna have beaucoup confidence in this cat ... steal of the draft, and will finish top 5 std, top 8 ppr. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord_Varys said:

This is heavily on my mind- there's a not that unlikely scenario in which Williams becomes a beast, maybe even if Allen stays healthy.   Williams is my only real option in a keeper to replace Tyreek, other than trading.  He'll cost a 10th, and i think it might be worth that simply because of the potential.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

This is heavily on my mind- there's a not that unlikely scenario in which Williams becomes a beast, maybe even if Allen stays healthy.   Williams is my only real option in a keeper to replace Tyreek, other than trading.  He'll cost a 10th, and i think it might be worth that simply because of the potential.  

That's good value in the 10th imo.  His floor should be a low end 2 / high end 3 WR.   And I agree with you that there's a path for him to be in the top 20 without a Keenan injury.  And any injury to Keenan and/or setback with Henry only adds to his upside.

5 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Not full 16 games.  He got knocked out for this or that.

Fair to say though -- maybe he's not as injury prone as I think.

He's not.  I don't really count a lacerated kidney against him as injury prone.  That was a flukey injury.  Outside of that, there was the ACL injury, and he's played pretty much every game the rest of his career.  I think Williams has a good year with Henry back actually.  Williams was there only big passing TD threat in the red zone last year.

Edited by kdko

The biggest issue with Williams blowing-up IMO is the solid SD defense, which limits the need to pass the ball as much as most other teams.  SD was near the bottom of the league in pass attempts in 2018 and I don't see that changing much as their D should be as good (if not better than last year). 

6 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

No he hasn't. He boned a bunch of people in week 14 or 15 last year. 

I used to be a big KA guy but he is for sure injury prone at this point IMO.

Big Mike's a beast but he won't get to beast unless KA goes down. Like him if his ADP stays low enough.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, J.T. Marlin said:

He can’t shake the injury prone label ever since he suffered a lacerated kidney lol. Oh well, Atleast his adp will always be discounted bc of it.

as for mike will. Factoring in Tyrells departure, Henry’s return, Mike’s draft spot and past production, I’m a fan, but depends on where his adp ends up. Seems like a great bye/ injury filler/ riskier flex play

6 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

He can’t shake the injury prone label ever since he suffered a lacerated kidney lol. 

Because he keeps getting injured. Call them fluky or whatever, but he misses alot of games.

• 3 weeks later...

3rd year is when a lot of WRs make their mark.  Here we are... coming into year 3.  Tyrell is gone, but Hunter is back.  Maybe a wash, but I still like it. 

I think his natural skill is gonna create enough of an improvement that he can launch himself into the next few tiers up this year and I'm loving his discounted ADP as of right now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

Love Williams' value. He likely won't produce high yardage output consistently but he is an elite redzone threat and SD has shown a willingness to use him in creative ways. Targets should inherently increase with Tyrell out of the picture. 

I just hope his value doesn't change too much as we get closer to drafting season. I want him on most if not all of my teams this year.

• Like 2

Hard to see him going a ton higher, but things happen of course.    There's just no guarantee he gets volume and that's gonna keep that ADP down.    

He's a guy i might look to trade for early.   Part of my desire to land him is beasting ability that'd come with a Keenan or Henry injury.    If those two start the year healthy, and Williams doesn't shine too much, he might be able to be pried away at a discount.     

• Like 1

After watching Williams last year I am a believer in his talent. Obviously he was a high draft pick with a great college career. The only thing holding him back last year was a lack of targets. With another year playing in the offense, earning Rivers trust, and Tyrell gone... I see no reason why Williams couldn't put big numbers this year. I'm seeing him ranked around the 25th WR in dynasty which seems like a great value.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 12:50 PM, dmb3684 said:

Because he keeps getting injured. Call them fluky or whatever, but he misses alot of games.

in the past two seasons, he got knocked out of one game. he played 93.7% of the snaps the following week.

not too bad for an injury prone guy.