NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Williams 2019 Outlook

BrianM

Keenan Allen (hamstring) wasn't spotted at the portion of practice open to the media Friday.

Allen is shaping up as a game-time decision at best for Sunday's matchup against the Bears. His absence would likely lead to 3-WR sets consisting of Mike Williams, Geremy Davis and Andre Patton. Both Davis and Patton would still be thin plays with Allen sidelined, as Philip Rivers already has three incredibly capable pass-catching talents at his disposal in Williams, Hunter Henry and Austin Ekeler.

19 minutes ago, austin316 said:

For what it's worth, Mike Williams is currently ranked No. 1 in metrics for positive TD regression

Yeah, he has 0 TD’s so far, so that makes sense I guess.

20 hours ago, MKO3090 said:

If I had better options, I'd avoid starting him at all costs. But between tough matchups and similar weak plays (plus byes for some of y'all), I got to do it. It's times like these I hope he validates the reason he's rostered. 

Prepare to be sorely disappointed and frustrated that you convinced yourself it was a good idea to start him.

2 hours ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Keenan Allen is trending towards playing. I would say if he's active you have to fade Mike Williams. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Keenan Allen (hamstring) is "not optimistic" he'll play in Week 8 against the Bears.

Allen will test his hamstring pre-game before making any final decisions. Even if he suits up, coach Anthony Lynn said the Chargers would limit his snaps. Although Geremy Davis and Andre Patton would receive the reps, Allen's opportunity would likely trickle down to Hunter Henry, Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler above all. Williams in particular suddenly boosts to a WR2 after having seen 9.7 targets per game across from Allen over the last three weeks. Allen would be a boom-or-bust WR3 with no real way to project his playing time if he's cleared.

Really thinking about playing him, other option is a banged up Jacobs (I know wrong forum)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tierjerk said:

Prepare to be sorely disappointed and frustrated that you convinced yourself it was a good idea to start him.

I mean 5 catches, 70 yards would be a fine WR3 day for Mike Will. Even without a TD. I don't think any reasonable prognosticator would expect much more. Though a larger output is certainly in the realm of possibilities with the receiving core including Williams and a motley of no names.