NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Williams 2019 Outlook

BrianM

17 minutes ago, BRIGUY11 said:

I feel a breakout coming this week

Mike Williams in a nutshell. Will just have a nice game once in a month when you are close to drop him. Then you keep him, possibly even start him, and he disappoints you. I don't think he is consistent enough from a FF standpoint. Especially in PPR leagues, you can find comparable producers on waivers.

I hope I'm wrong but I've thrown in the towel on this dude. He's too inconsistent and too fragile. Crabtree II - destined to fade away. 

I've been intensely interested in his career since the Clemson days - drafted as a rookie in Dynasty. 

I can't help but feel like he was drafted by the wrong team/wrong QB. He's never seemed to fit in very well with SD's scheme offensively and clearly Rivers couldn't care less if he's in there or not - he rarely targets him when he actually plays.

15 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I hope I'm wrong but I've thrown in the towel on this dude. He's too inconsistent and too fragile. Crabtree II - destined to fade away. 

I've been intensely interested in his career since the Clemson days - drafted as a rookie in Dynasty. 

I can't help but feel like he was drafted by the wrong team/wrong QB. He's never seemed to fit in very well with SD's scheme offensively and clearly Rivers couldn't care less if he's in there or not - he rarely targets him when he actually plays.

He’d benefit as a true #1 with targets. He needs volume to be effective though and just doesn’t get it. He could be dez Bryant but unfortunately it doesn’t like that that’s happening this year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Being too harsh tbh, Mike played every game last year and he was extremely efficient despite the low volume.   

Mike Williams will never have a good catch rate. He found the most favorable circumstances he will get all season: Legit shutdown CB on Allen, down early by multiple scores, trailing whole game. Granted he might be at less than 100%, but he has never striked me as someone who will work back to the ball or fight for it. He is more of a leisure-style go up and get it WR, dominating jump balls with pure physical talent rather than technique or grit.

It's worrisome that he hasn't scored yet. Henry's return won't help in terms of RZ opportunities. Ekeler de facto #2 WR. Gordon should be involved more as well in the coming weeks. Keenan Allen is Rivers' darling anyway.

I don't think you can comfortably start him in any matchup ROS. He might be a decent flex in standard leagues once he finds back to his TD scoring ways. But then again, TDs are just so hard to predict.

Drafted to be my WR2, holding him as WR4 right now...😓

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

This guy was drafted as a number 2 WR on his team with major upside.  Unfortunately, unlike Godwin and Ridley, he hasn't panned out.  We picked the wrong horse unfortunately, at least up to this point.

He should be decent in games like yesterday where a shutdown corner is on Keenan Allen.  But otherwise, I think he's a low end wr3 at best.  He's behind Allen, Ekeler, Gordon and possibly even Hunter Henry when he returns in the passing pecking order.

I bought low so didn’t spend a high draft pick on him, but surprised there’s not more love for him after last weeks game.  We didn’t even know if he was playing on Wednesday and then saw 13 targets.  Outside of Ekeler and Allen, he should be next in line on targets.  You can’t predict TDs so as long as he is the 8-10 target per game I think he would be wr3/flex worthy moving forward.

The target count is certainly encouraging, but as someone who drafted him as my WR2, I'm regretting it. 

I'm hoping things will get better, especially as Gordon gets more comfortable back in his duties, but I'll probably try to sell or package at the first opportunity for getting decent value in return.

Fortunately I sat him this weekend in favor of Fuller and Chark, and it paid off huge.  I would have lost if I played MW in place of either of the other 2.

• Like 1

I watched most of the game, the target share was nice, but I’d say 5 of them weren’t quality targets, rivers either missed him or the ball wasn’t even there. One target rivers arm was hit when Williams was running a crossing route that could have gone for a nice gain and one of rivers ints was to Williams in the end zone . He did make some tough catches yesterday 

4 hours ago, herschel said:

I bought low so didn’t spend a high draft pick on him, but surprised there’s not more love for him after last weeks game.  We didn’t even know if he was playing on Wednesday and then saw 13 targets.  Outside of Ekeler and Allen, he should be next in line on targets.  You can’t predict TDs so as long as he is the 8-10 target per game I think he would be wr3/flex worthy moving forward.

He’s really banged up. On the ground for almost a minute yesterday. Good buy low, but Allen was taken out of the game with a shutdown corner. WR corps decimated. Ekeler set a record for catches, as LAC trailed all game. WR3 if healthy, so many injuries to cloud the picture.