NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Williams 2019 Outlook

BrianM

I’ve been mostly benching him this year... but... “The Titans have quieted most receivers this season except for those on Williams’ primary side (where they’ve ceded the sixth-most fantasy points), and he should see a lot of Malcolm Butler on Sunday. Few players are due for more regression than Williams, who, after recording 10 scores on just 66 looks as a rookie, somehow has zero TDs this year despite being tied for the second-most targets inside the 5-yard line and ranking top-12 in air yards (no other receiver in the top-25 is without a score this year). Williams is due to explode, and you’ll want him in your lineup when he does.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMaxMariota said:

Way too fragile. 

Is he injured again?

Tbh his stats aren't totally useless. Where he was taken in drafts is what really sucks. Judging the pure numbers, Big Mike is a boring flex WR which sometimes isn't exactly a bad thing. Now with his RZ usage, where his size and leaping ability usually shine, he should finally start to score a TD once in a while. Then we can talk about a really nice flex WR.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Is he injured again?

Tbh his stats aren't totally useless. Where he was taken in drafts is what really sucks. Judging the pure numbers, Big Mike is a boring flex WR which sometimes isn't exactly a bad thing. Now with his RZ usage, where his size and leaping ability usually shine, he should finally start to score a TD once in a while. Then we can talk about a really nice flex WR.

Left the game briefly but he did come back to limp around.

Biggest reason why he hasn't been able to take advantage of all this volume is his health and how banged up he is. Until or unless he gets fully healthy, he will remain a boring flex, at best, imo. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MadMaxMariota said:

Left the game briefly but he did come back to limp around.

Biggest reason why he hasn't been able to take advantage of all this volume is his health and how banged up he is. Until or unless he gets fully healthy, he will remain a boring flex, at best, imo. 

Watched most of the game but didn’t notice this. He actually got most of his yards at the very end of game. 

I won’t argue that he’s fragile, and maybe I’m bias as an owner, but it seems Rivers consistently throws 3-4 hospital balls to this guy per game. It’s infuriating. There was one in the end zone where Williams had to jump super high and then got undercut, did a full flip and landed directly on his back. Thought it was a wrap.

tds should be coming:

His targets (6) came back down to realistic territory last week, which is a bit of a downer, but the good news is that he’s seen eight red zone targets this year. He’s only caught one of them, and it wasn’t for a touchdown, so positive regression should catch up at some point. As a gauge, there are 13 other receivers who have as many red zone targets, and 11 have scored at least two touchdowns.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, herschel said:

tds should be coming:

His targets (6) came back down to realistic territory last week, which is a bit of a downer, but the good news is that he’s seen eight red zone targets this year. He’s only caught one of them, and it wasn’t for a touchdown, so positive regression should catch up at some point. As a gauge, there are 13 other receivers who have as many red zone targets, and 11 have scored at least two touchdowns.

Coupled with Gordon and Ekeler's ball security issues (each have lost a fumble at the Goal line in the last 2 weeks), I think that forces the Chargers to pass even more in the red zone. I'm holding (and starting) this week.

Really disappointed with his numbers so far, but I still think he could return to fantasy relevance down the stretch. Mainly because they can't run the ball and because Rivers still likes to look his way in the RZ. Some good matchups down the stretch as well. He isn't a firm hold by any means, but the WW is such a wasteland. Big Mike has way more upside than any WR from the WW.

Edit: Now as I'm writing this Keenan Allen pops up on the injury report with a bad hammy. Chooo Chooooo you all! 🚂

Edited by frog34

11 minutes ago, konstao said:

if keenan allen doesnt suit up, what can we expect from him ? wr2 numbers ? high end wr3 ?

[...]

When Keenan went out with a hip pointer in the 2nd quarter of week 15 last year @ KC, Williams went off for 3 TD's and the game winning 2pt conversion. At the very least he'll get double digit targets and a few chances at a TD. If Allen sits, I predict 7 catches on 13 targets for 94 yards and a TD.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

When Keenan went out with a hip pointer in the 2nd quarter of week 15 last year @ KC, Williams went off for 3 TD's and the game winning 2pt conversion. At the very least he'll get double digit targets and a few chances at a TD. If Allen sits, I predict 7 catches on 13 targets for 94 yards and a TD.

Well hopefully you're a Nostradamus and that prediction holds true because I have to start him in a league.

kinda sad rw doesnt even mention williams should allen sit....

Keenan Allen was held out of Thursday's practice with a hamstring injury.

It's a new injury for Allen, who was not listed on Wednesday's injury report. The fact that he wasn't even "limited" is a very bad sign ahead of Sunday's road trip to Chicago. A "limited" day Friday would put Allen back on track to play, but fantasy players need to be making contingency plans. With Travis Benjamin recently joining Dontrelle Inman on injured reserve, the Bolts have extremely little receiver depth. Were Allen to sit, it would be a Hunter Henry/Austin Ekeler-type day in the Windy City.

17 minutes ago, herschel said:

kinda sad rw doesnt even mention williams should allen sit....

Keenan Allen was held out of Thursday's practice with a hamstring injury.

It's a new injury for Allen, who was not listed on Wednesday's injury report. The fact that he wasn't even "limited" is a very bad sign ahead of Sunday's road trip to Chicago. A "limited" day Friday would put Allen back on track to play, but fantasy players need to be making contingency plans. With Travis Benjamin recently joining Dontrelle Inman on injured reserve, the Bolts have extremely little receiver depth. Were Allen to sit, it would be a Hunter Henry/Austin Ekeler-type day in the Windy City.

That's likely because he's considered to be the 3rd target in the passing game with Allen out, 4th with him healthy.