NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rashaad Penny 2019 Outlook

Had to stop by today because I knew this thread would be at the top of the list. Here we go again.  A season full of less than stellar results from Penny....and....poof....all of a sudden he starts making a case for himself at the end of the year.  Doing the same thing two years in a row is not a trend but...ha...I'm just laughing at this because Carson is definitely the back to own.  Penny is still a creampuff out there and I really am not sure what he is thinking in some cases.  On his long TD run, he had all the space in the world to take in order to get a TD but he ran right into the defender?  Like wha...??  It was as if he had tunnel vision.  Kind of helps us understand all his other runs (ie: lack of vision and decisiveness). 

• Haha 2
  • Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

💚 CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!1?!? 💚

Rashaad might be catching up to Carson because of the fumbles, but he's still got to finish him. I think we know how this will end...  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Had to stop by today because I knew this thread would be at the top of the list. Here we go again.  A season full of less than stellar results from Penny....and....poof....all of a sudden he starts making a case for himself at the end of the year.  Doing the same thing two years in a row is not a trend but...ha...I'm just laughing at this because Carson is definitely the back to own.  Penny is still a creampuff out there and I really am not sure what he is thinking in some cases.  On his long TD run, he had all the space in the world to take in order to get a TD but he ran right into the defender?  Like wha...??  It was as if he had tunnel vision.  Kind of helps us understand all his other runs (ie: lack of vision and decisiveness). 

You trying to convince us or yourself?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, MJJ28 said:

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/9390366?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said there's "no reason not to get [Rashaad Penny] back in there" in Week 13 against the Vikings.

Carroll is the absolute worst at coach speak. I trust nothing he says. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Of what? Just amused by the fact that we are going to probably go through this cycle a few times before something sticks permanently 

The fact that we're still going through this cycle is telling in itself. Carson has had the best season of his career and yet, here we are(again)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Of what? Just amused by the fact that we are going to probably go through this cycle a few times before something sticks permanently 

"Carson is definitely the back to own.  Penny is still a creampuff out there..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, mjb said:

Pete loves Carson, but even he knows turnovers lose games. Time for more Penny..

This... might be Montgomery numbers, but should be owned in all leagues.

Penny is avg 6 yards per carry vs Carson's 3.9 and the fumbles. I guess one could argue that Carson receiving production makes him special. But we all know Penny was drafted for his 4 down abilities. Other than the short sighted arguments made by Carson's FF owners, Penny deserves more opportunities than he has been provided to this point.

What we don't know is the off field things that Penney did or did not do that plays into this decision as well (Practice habits, weight etc, meeting attendance).

Assumption of rational coaching would say that if this is about the best player getting the opportunity, Penny deserves a increased role.

Edited by mar1kle
1 hour ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I get what you are saying about Penny. He is more hesitant most of the time and Carson is much more decisive. Carson is getting caught from behind on that td run. He just is not explosive. Powerful, but average athlete at the position. Penny is much more explosive, but I agree that he is too inconsistent and hesitant.

2 hours ago, jsch08 said:

I get what you are saying about Penny. He is more hesitant most of the time and Carson is much more decisive. Carson is getting caught from behind on that td run. He just is not explosive. Powerful, but average athlete at the position. Penny is much more explosive, but I agree that he is too inconsistent and hesitant.

Lol Carson outperformed Penny in every combine category besides the 40 time. He was a top 3 performer in his draft class(a class that included CMC, Kamara, Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt, Aaron Jones and Marlon Mack) in bench press, vertical jump and broad jump. You are right that he is not as fast but he is far from an "average athlete" and anyone that has watched him play would know that. Please don't come into these forums spewing garbage.

Nothing about this highlight reel is average and he definitely looks explosive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e64qwX0F9uI

Edited by paulwall29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In light of Penny's big day and Carson's continued fumbling problems.....expect an uptick in carries for Penny.  Until he does something stupid like allowing a defender to run free and almost get Russ killed like he did yesterday.  And like someone else mentioned above, on his TD run he ran straight to a closing defender that ultimately bounced off of him harmlessly.  But I was yelling at the TV as you could see it coming for a few very long moments, but Penny didn't notice. 

He had some interesting things to say in his post game presser.  I don't know if it was more encouraging or more alarming.  He essentially said he got too fat last year eating too much mcdonalds and his mom's cooking.  He was playing at 238 and this year he is at 230 and wants to get down to 225.  Said he didn't take the job seriously enough last year and this year he is.  While its great he recognizes, this it's still concerning that we are in week 11 of season 2 and he's still not at his target weight.  Like, this is the NFL man and you have a very limited window to cash in on this thing.  Guy should have been locked in day 1 walking in the building last year.  He just strikes me as a guy, even now today, that just doesn't "get it".  Hope he figures it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

In light of Penny's big day and Carson's continued fumbling problems.....expect an uptick in carries for Penny.  Until he does something stupid like allowing a defender to run free and almost get Russ killed like he did yesterday.  And like someone else mentioned above, on his TD run he ran straight to a closing defender that ultimately bounced off of him harmlessly.  But I was yelling at the TV as you could see it coming for a few very long moments, but Penny didn't notice. 

He had some interesting things to say in his post game presser.  I don't know if it was more encouraging or more alarming.  He essentially said he got too fat last year eating too much mcdonalds and his mom's cooking.  He was playing at 238 and this year he is at 230 and wants to get down to 225.  Said he didn't take the job seriously enough last year and this year he is.  While its great he recognizes, this it's still concerning that we are in week 11 of season 2 and he's still not at his target weight.  Like, this is the NFL man and you have a very limited window to cash in on this thing.  Guy should have been locked in day 1 walking in the building last year.  He just strikes me as a guy, even now today, that just doesn't "get it".  Hope he figures it out.

Kinda judgmental post

"does something stupid"

"Penny didn't notice" (your in his head?)

"more alarming"

"still concerning"

"still not at target weight"

"Guy should have been locked in"

"strikes me as a guy that doesn't get it"

Based on his production while on the field this yesterday and in his limited opportunities this year, I would ask who is the one that "really doesnt get it".

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Kinda judgmental post

"does something stupid"

"more alarming"

"still concerning"

Based on his production while on the field this yesterday and in his limited opportunities this year, I would ask who is the one that "really doesnt get it".

Totally judgmental.  As a Seahawks fan I follow the team closely I was just offering my observations and what I believe to be the case.  I want him to succeed as much anyone and don't give two brown turds about him and carson's fantasy relevance as I have zero shares of either. 

I'd wager my thoughts above are pretty damn accurate.  But hey, you own him in a fantasy football league and were put off by it.  That's fine.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Kinda judgmental post

"does something stupid"

"more alarming"

"still concerning"

He is a Seahawks fan. Seahawks fans will never recognize Penny's ability or talent. They have Carson, who has performed adequately, so it will never matter what Penny is or does, he will always be a wasted/misused first round pick to them. They will never accept him, so it is best to just ignore their inherently biased opinion. They will always come up with reasons to justify the "waste" of the pick.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

Totally judgmental.  As a Seahawks fan I follow the team closely I was just offering my observations and what I believe to be the case.  I want him to succeed as much anyone and don't give two brown turds about him and carson's fantasy relevance as I have zero shares of either. 

I'd wager my thoughts above are pretty damn accurate.  But hey, you own him in a fantasy football league and were put off by it.  That's fine.

Don't own and comments like that on Penny are like most social media post now, full of opinions and light on facts.

Edited by mar1kle
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

He is a Seahawks fan. Seahawks fans will never recognize Penny's ability or talent. They have Carson, who has performed adequately, so it will never matter what Penny is or does, he will always be a wasted/misused first round pick to them. They will never accept him, so it is best to just ignore their inherently biased opinion. They will always come up with reasons to justify the "waste" of the pick.

Seahawks fans DON’T want Penny to break out?  Wut?

Just now, mar1kle said:

Seems like some Seahawks fans cant just enjoy Penny's performance and the win...

I enjoyed the hell out of it.  We needed points there big time to seal it.  I’d be ecstatic if Penny took over the job and balled out.  I simply just gave my observations.  You guys are sensitive AF.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

So they DO want him to break out while simultaneously feeling as you described in your post?  Got it.

I'm sure they would enjoy a Penny breakout, but they will never be the one's to see it coming. Seahawks fans wrote off the pick the day it was made. It was labeled a reach at a position not needed the most. Carson has performed well, so Seahawks fans have used this to justify the hate of the Penny. If Penny breaks out, Seahawks fans will be the last to admit/accept it and won't do so until they are slapped in the face by it.

Just look at your post man. You are knocking a guy for not seeing a defender coming on a 58 yard TD run, even though Penny made the defender look like a fool. It's painfully obvious Seahawks fans have an extreme bias against Penny and his ability.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I'm sure they would enjoy a Penny breakout, but they will never be the one's to see it coming. Seahawks fans wrote off the pick the day it was made. It was labeled a reach at a position not needed the most. Carson has performed well, so Seahawks fans have used this to justify the hate of the Penny. If Penny breaks out, Seahawks fans will be the last to admit/accept it and won't do so until they are slapped in the face by it.

I don’t see where you guys are coming from.  I don’t use twitter but perhaps you are getting this sentiment from there?  I just call it like I see it.  Gonna check out of here though.  Good luck peeps hope Penny get’s going for you!