NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rashaad Penny 2019 Outlook

25 minutes ago, Kobe_No_Means_No said:

ABORT ABORT.... 

Man, spent a #1 waiver on this foo, mutha.... 

Speaking Friday, Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer said the team plans to stick with its normal running back rotation for Week 13.

"Chris is our guy," Schottenheimer said of Chris Carson despite his Week 12 fumbling woes. "We know that." Schotty went on to add that the team wanted to get Rashaad Penny his touches, but that they wouldn't "force it." Penny out-touched Carson 14-12 in Week 12 while dramatically out-gaining him. The Seahawks have made a habit of re-committing to Carson following his turnovers, but that cannot be taken for granted in Week 13. Carson is a high-risk, high-reward RB2, with Penny offering big-time FLEX upside.

complete quote, ala Schotty ...

• Like 2
  • Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

💚 CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!1?!? 💚

Rashaad might be catching up to Carson because of the fumbles, but he's still got to finish him. I think we know how this will end...  

Posted Images

Sounds like typical coach talk to me, being positive about both guys and keeping the status quo to the media. Penny wasn't going to be named starter or anything and take over this week but it wouldn't be hard at all for the coaches to shift to him during the game if Carson goes full moron again, regardless of what they say to reporters. Penny is only a high upside injury stash to me though, I don't think there's enough time left for Carson to bonehead it up enough to lose the job before I play must win fantasy playoff games but then again I've been shocked before 

Just now, owenmills said:

Sounds like typical coach talk to me, being positive about both guys and keeping the status quo to the media. Penny wasn't going to be named starter or anything and take over this week but it wouldn't be hard at all for the coaches to shift to him during the game if Carson goes full moron again, regardless of what they say to reporters. Penny is only a high upside injury stash to me though, I don't think there's enough time left for Carson to bonehead it up enough to lose the job before I play must win fantasy playoff games but then again I've been shocked before 

agreed ... ya also gotta figure the psychological bent into this - rahrah Petey is the master motivator, and he loves him some Carson- every word outta Schotty's piehole was script approved by Carroll beforehand, i assure you. 

they don't wanna damage what may may be an already fragile psyche on CC (what wif the buttahfingerz and Penny's bust out performance).

however, i do believe Penny was sat down in private and told, in no uncertain Unicorn 🦄 terms, to be ready - because the gig is waiting for him if there are further hiccups. 

• Like 1

Wow, lots of Penny owners in here looking at this situation with rose colored glasses.  The OC says "CHRIS IS OUR GUY.  WE KNOW THAT."

If you want to roster Penny in the hopes that Carson fumbles again, and the coaches all of a sudden lose trust in him, despite their history of time and time again going back to him, despite what the OC is on record of saying, despite Carson being their bread and butter, fine.  But you're hoping for a lot if you think that all of a sudden Penny becomes RB1 and a bellcow.  There's no way you can play Penny this weekend.

Until any of the above happens, Penny is merely a high upside handcuff like Pollard or Mattison.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, CooL said:

Wow, lots of Penny owners in here looking at this situation with rose colored glasses.  The OC says "CHRIS IS OUR GUY.  WE KNOW THAT."

If you want to roster Penny in the hopes that Carson fumbles again, and the coaches all of a sudden lose trust in him, despite their history of time and time again going back to him, despite what the OC is on record of saying, despite Carson being their bread and butter, fine.  But you're hoping for a lot if you think that all of a sudden Penny becomes RB1 and a bellcow.  There's no way you can play Penny this weekend.

Until any of the above happens, Penny is merely a high upside handcuff like Pollard or Mattison.

Which post are you referring to that thinks Penny will ascend to RB1 bellcow this year? Or did that not happen and it’s just another Carson owner spamming the thread? I know the answer BTW...

9 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Which post are you referring to that thinks Penny will ascend to RB1 bellcow this year? Or did that not happen and it’s just another Carson owner spamming the thread? I know the answer BTW...

I own Penny, not Carson, so no, I’m not a Carson owner trying to rain on Penny owners. I am just being realistic here. There’s a quote from the OC saying Carson is still the guy, yet people here saying “no that’s really not what’s happening and the coaches are secretly whispering sweet nothings into Penny’s ear while they’re sleeping together.” Come on now. Let’s all agree he is merely a stash and not make him up to be more than he really is. 

27 minutes ago, CooL said:

I own Penny, not Carson, so no, I’m not a Carson owner trying to rain on Penny owners. I am just being realistic here. There’s a quote from the OC saying Carson is still the guy, yet people here saying “no that’s really not what’s happening and the coaches are secretly whispering sweet nothings into Penny’s ear while they’re sleeping together.” Come on now. Let’s all agree he is merely a stash and not make him up to be more than he really is. 

You’re making stuff up or at the very least grossly exaggerating. Another poster said they may have pumped Penny up in private about getting more reps going forward which is absolutely plausible. I haven’t seen anyone in here claim he’s more than just a stash right now. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, CooL said:

Seriously!

5 minutes ago, owenmills said:

You’re making stuff up or at the very least grossly exaggerating. Another poster said they may have pumped Penny up in private about getting more reps going forward which is absolutely plausible. I haven’t seen anyone in here claim he’s more than just a stash right now. 

yep, that was me ... and the caveat was 

2 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i do believe Penny was sat down in private and told, in no uncertain Unicorn 🦄 the gig is waiting for him if there are further hiccups. 

ANY FURTHER HICCUPS ... not that Penny will wrest the job by attrition. 

i also allowed in that post that rahrah loves him some Carson. 

context/comprehension, folks. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

I’ll repeat for the millionth time.

Seattle is so big on the run because they use it with a very specific purpose which is to wear down the opponents defense and keep their own defense off the field. In other words, to control the tempo to how they like it.

A back that grinds out yards, is great between the tackles, and punches the defense in the mouth is what achieves the above. 

Carson is exactly that while Penny is exactly not that. Even IF Penny were a better back than Carson (he’s not) it would be hard to see him taking over unless he starts to run how Seattle likes it. If we start to see Penny punishing defenders and going hard between the tackles maybe we can have a serious discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 11/30/2019 at 11:29 AM, Gohawks said:

I’ll repeat for the millionth time.

Seattle is so big on the run because they use it with a very specific purpose which is to wear down the opponents defense and keep their own defense off the field. In other words, to control the tempo to how they like it.

A back that grinds out yards, is great between the tackles, and punches the defense in the mouth is what achieves the above. 

Carson is exactly that while Penny is exactly not that. Even IF Penny were a better back than Carson (he’s not) it would be hard to see him taking over unless he starts to run how Seattle likes it. If we start to see Penny punishing defenders and going hard between the tackles maybe we can have a serious discussion. 

Sure looks like an RB2 for the playoffs to me...

• Like 2

essentially tonight was extreme best case for the team in the sense that there was roughly 210 yfs and 3 TDS, or 42 or so half PPR points. Soooo a normal type or day would be 25-30? And penny got a GL TD too? Man this looks like it could be a headache...can't see this team turning into the 49ers rushing O overnight but it's possible this late in the year. I own both and am wondering what to do vs Rams next week since penny showing some juice as a receiver

I own Carson and Penny in one league and just Penny in another.  No clue what to do with the situation going forward.  Seems like both could be either low end RB1s/High RB2s or barely flex play on any given week.  Every game won’t be like tonights with the amount of carries both got...

7 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

I own Carson and Penny in one league and just Penny in another.  No clue what to do with the situation going forward.  Seems like both could be either low end RB1s/High RB2s or barely flex play on any given week.  Every game won’t be like tonights with the amount of carries both got...

To me it sounds like chubb hunt but a better version, team, and offense. Both are startable

• Like 1

Both RBs have major talent. Neither is a complete back. Both should be good for 10+ touches going forward giving both RB3 floor and RB1 upside every week, maybe? And that balance might tip toward either one and away from the other for a variety of reasons, right? And I’m 100% sure about all of this, I think?

25 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

essentially tonight was extreme best case for the team in the sense that there was roughly 210 yfs and 3 TDS, or 42 or so half PPR points. Soooo a normal type or day would be 25-30? And penny got a GL TD too? Man this looks like it could be a headache...can't see this team turning into the 49ers rushing O overnight but it's possible this late in the year. I own both and am wondering what to do vs Rams next week since penny showing some juice as a receiver

Carson pulled himself for that first Penny TD.  He motioned to the sideline after a run.  Guess he was gassed, but Penny ran it in two plays later.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RyanK said:

Ugh. Going to stress about starting Penny at Flex all week now over WR3s.

Will be fun heartburn, but a good problem to have I guess...

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

AYSFKM?

ol' man AP and Guice just tore Carolina up for 13/99/1 and 10/129/2, respectively ... on the road with Dwayne friggin' Haskins at QB!

:wacko:

don't over complicate this - just be thankful this kid is f'n beasting just in time for the magick foosball playoffs. 

3 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

AYSFKM?

ol' man AP and Guice just tore Carolina up for 13/99/1 and 10/129/2, respectively ... on the road with Dwayne friggin' Haskins at QB!

:wacko:

don't over complicate this - just be thankful this kid is f'n beasting just in time for the magick foosball playoffs. 

OK but Seattle plays the Rams this week.

Carson/Penny owner here and not sure if I should play both, just one (guessing this would be Carson) or neither. Neither seems like the dumb choice.

• Like 1

Not a great situation for those who own both, this backfield is a goldmine when one guy dominates touches. but considering Penny was free I’m happy to have a potential flex with upside on my bench. A bit of a dilemma for Carson owners heading into the playoffs who need him.

I think it’s clear that Penny doesn’t ‘suck’, which has been repeatedly parroted by an astounding number of people in both threads 

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, esprits4s said:

Carson pulled himself for that first Penny TD.  He motioned to the sideline after a run.  Guess he was gassed, but Penny ran it in two plays later.

He wasn’t gassed. He pulled himself out of the game because he wanted Penny to get a TD there.

• Like 1